PDA

View Full Version : Great Read on why games are lagging in quality/graphics with current hardware

Brent
10-29-01, 08:24 PM
http://www.hardwareaccelerated.com/articles/graphdivide/

Joe
10-29-01, 08:33 PM
What we really need is for someone to step up and design a DirectX 8 compliant board in the $200 USD price range, one which would attack the mainstream market. This chip could also be sold to OEM's, and wouldn't harm the industry in the long run. Hopefully we'll have a company step up with such a chip

That comment kinda confuses me...

But a great article none the less... very true

Brent
10-29-01, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by PING

That comment kinda confuses me...

But a great article none the less... very true

he is a tad outdated in that statement

as the GF3 TI 200 and Radeon 7500 are both great boards in the under $199 US price range right now, the only problem is convining OEM's to use THEM instead of TNT2's and TNT M64's in new computers lol

Joe
10-29-01, 08:39 PM
I think the main problem is "uninformed consumers" (cliche?)

At most OEM sites you have options... to the normal user a Geforce 3 64MB DDR and a Geforce MX 64MB are the same thing except that the MX is 200$ cheaper.. gee what one is John Doe gonna buy?

maybe if OEMs had more informative information about the hardware they were selling people would put more time into decisions as this...

syncmaster
10-29-01, 08:53 PM
This dokuments does not have as target the users , but the Computer companys .

I do not see to be that interesting .

At the bottom live ,whats the problem of having one TNT2 card .
Computers is polymorfic machines .

For example my computer sub systems have this power by % in comparison with the higher speeds of today computers ( or dream machines)

Graphics : 65%
HD speed :90%
CPU speed : 70%
Sound system :100%

And i am totaly happy with it .

This dokument trys to say that if you are not at the 100% in every area , your system is tchoking or something .

Heh how old is the one that wrote all this !!!!!

Brent
10-29-01, 09:01 PM
sync not everyone does the same stuff you do, some like to have the fastest components and stuff

but the point of the article isn't that

the point is it's ridiculous to sell a brand new 2Ghz P4 machine with the likes of a TNT2 or TNT M64, it's like you have all that cpu power but little video card power for games, SURE if you don't play games it's fine, but for gamers it's not fine.... and even for casual gamers there is a lot better....

With machines like that you want to pair it up with a good vid card like a Ti 200, or hell even a GF2 Ti or Radeon 7500 etc.....

now if it was like a sub 1Ghz machine then having a TNT2 in it I could see, but companys are selling BRAND NEW fastest machines out there with 2-3 year old graphics cards in them... it's just not right or fair to the consumer

A_old
10-29-01, 09:06 PM
it's a damn WASTE to buy a piece of hardware and not use it for what i does, for example, WHY buy a pent 4 and pair it w/ SDRam, just get a celeron for the same thing. cheaper.. or duron even. shrug. just my 2c. i'd rather go all out or not at all.. no half-a$s attempts from me buddy. sorry.

MartialArtist12
10-29-01, 10:59 PM
The Radeon 8500 is in the $200 price range. I got mind for $203.

HongKongPolice
10-29-01, 11:44 PM
OEMs will ALWAYS use the crappiest ***** they can find, cuz they're relying on their brand name, "tech support", and "computer catch phrases" to sell their products. They don't care if the avg joe bought a P4 2Ghz with a TNT2 M64, cuz the avg joe doesn't play 3D intensive games, same with corporate guppies.

drdoug99
10-29-01, 11:54 PM
yep..I'm with you guys, AMro, and TigerUpperCut...OEM's could care less...it's still money in their pocket.

drdoug99
10-29-01, 11:57 PM
speaking of OEM...my friend got a Gateway computer a while back...6 months or so...I was expecting a kick ass graphics and sound card, intergrated sound, and a good old TNT2 M64 graphics chipset...so it was interegrated to boot! but this was like 1Ghz, winME, the latest and greatest at teh time...turns out the latest and greatest to OEMs is old outdated products at a rip off price.!

Gaming-Module
10-30-01, 12:02 AM
Games should get fun to play before they get prettier, in my honest opinion.

Most games today are eye candy, pure and simple.

reverse
10-30-01, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Macho-Module
Games should get fun to play before they get prettier, in my honest opinion.

Most games today are eye candy, pure and simple.

Very true.

Another reason why computer companies sell TNT2 cards with systems is because that may be the base card. Showing someone a system for only $899 that comes with a monitor (crappy) and a 2GHz processor is very appealing. The appeal is the price point and the only way they can get to that pice point is by bundling the system with low-end components. The consumer sees a great deal on a system that has a fast* (relative term) processor so it must have the top of the line components. When they get home and use it, it seems great cuase it's surely faster than their previous computer.

User's have the option to upgrade the video card to a better one but that adds money and they feel it may not be as important. If a gamer configures a system, they will surely look for a better card to ugrade to if they have any clue as to how much it affects performance of games. Most companies don't have the latest and greatest video cards or other components to choose from when they first come out cause most people that buy from them don't need or have any use for it. Another reason why is that the price point of it will usually be significantly higher than the other options.

syncmaster
10-30-01, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Brent
sync not everyone does the same stuff you do, some like to have the fastest components and stuff

but the point of the article isn't that

the point is it's ridiculous to sell a brand new 2Ghz P4 machine with the likes of a TNT2 or TNT M64, it's like you have all that cpu power but little video card power for games, SURE if you don't play games it's fine, but for gamers it's not fine.... and even for casual gamers there is a lot better....

With machines like that you want to pair it up with a good vid card like a Ti 200, or hell even a GF2 Ti or Radeon 7500 etc.....

now if it was like a sub 1Ghz machine then having a TNT2 in it I could see, but companys are selling BRAND NEW fastest machines out there with 2-3 year old graphics cards in them... it's just not right or fair to the consumer

Yap you have right , i am not a moron to say that you do not have right.

But at the bottom line, we are talking here about what the companys do , and offer .

So the companys is killing them selfs ,and the quality of the components, just to offer the 1000 dollars worth PC to the public .

Also i ven ,if i do some gaming too , i will say that the video card is not that spesial as component .
In the market in the amount of 1000 busnes PC (workstations) , that one company will sell , the Gaming PCs will be in number like 200 .

So the companys is making money with out the gamers .
Heh its simple, hey !!

So , thats a good thing that they do , because NO ONE HAVES THE MONEY , to buy one dream machine by the first .

If i ,become a father , and my son likes one GF3 just to play Quake with hes friends , you think that i will pay this slotery price just to get one of this , and making him happy . ??

Most of the people here ,that we have some good hardware we are all over 27 , we work and we pay crazy money for our hobby .

Personly for all the goods that i have as PC - monitor - printers -scaners - cameras - speakers - UPS , and some other litle things for my PC i have pay 4.736 US Dollars ...............

I have work for them ... Its the damn price of half bright new Car in Greece .

We canot expect every PC to be in the same price range .

I am not trying to force my opinion to any one , i am in computers busnes and i think that this article is not a serius one .

Bottom line , if some one need one really spesial video card he can take it afterwards , or he will just ask for one to be in hes box .

terrancelam
10-30-01, 08:17 PM
one thing I have noticed and it's exactly what tiger said, big corporations or general users don't need a good video card. Why? They mostly use the computer for 1 or 2 of the following things:

1.)Word (Typing).

2.) E-mail.

3.)D/Ling Pr0N(Don't lie, you know who supports those nasty sites).

4.)Sending files to another computer(or ICQ).

All they really need to do is be able to see the screen, they don't care about the max FPS they can get in a game or on some benchmark! As for speed, the reason the consumer likes the higher numbers on the speed is that they think they are getting more for their money when they aren't. Why is this so? to be truthful, most users don't even use all the power they can get from a Pentium 233mhz computer. It 's all smart marketing. Trying to get the consumer to buy buy buy and forget what his/her needs are and make them think what they want.

Another thing, I was in a store recently in which the owner (my friend,) sold a $2000 dollar server machine with integrated graphics ( I think it was some crappy pappy sis chipset) to them and I was totally shocked, but he said "What the hell are they gonna use anything more powerful for?" And it's true. How intense can looking as a word document get?