PDA

View Full Version : Does Visiontek make decent Geforce Cards?

Ghosthunter
10-28-01, 11:31 PM
I have been dieing to upgrade my video card alreayd but was waiting for teh GF3 TI 500 to come out, it seems the only company that has released a copy and I can get it is Visiontek.

The gefroce 256 I have is an OEM version from Dell, does anyone know if I should wait for other companies to release theirs? Or are all pretty much the same?

Thanks

Idiot Savant
10-29-01, 12:46 AM
see sig.

see madonion score.

the best GF3's are Asus, Gainward, Elsa, and Leadtek.

Might want to wait around for them to produce a card, I myself am waiting to upgrade to the GF3 with 128 MB DDR (coming soon folks)

Ghosthunter
10-29-01, 05:13 AM
Hmm are the GF3 TI 500 going to be 128 ddr?

If not when are those coming out?

Thanks

Idiot Savant
10-29-01, 10:48 AM
No, the Ti500 seem just to be clocked slightly higher, still using the same old 3.8ns ram as the GF3. Notice the GF3 has ample room for the other 64 MB, and now that the 8500 is starting to rain on nVidias parade, you can expect that other bank of DDR in there rather quickly.

Ghosthunter
10-29-01, 11:31 AM
Well can I just add another 64 mb module to the card or do I have to buy a whole new card?

If not any idea when the 128 mb cards are coming out? Are there any links that provide any info?

Thanks

YARDofSTUF
10-29-01, 12:54 PM
they are 64 meg i believe, no memory upgrade for them either, u dont need 128, 128 will come out in like 4-8 months with their next card the Eclipse(AKA GF4)

m4a2t0t
10-29-01, 01:22 PM
read (http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/shootout/gf3/)

Idiot Savant
10-29-01, 01:38 PM
See YoS comment.

-nt-

And that review isnt all too accurate, just about everyone I know has overclocked easily beyond those barriers. (However, extreme speeds near the 300/600s are horribly unstable without aftermarket cooling and volt mods)

Cards are not all built alike, I suppose some will be manufactured better than others. However, the best OC cards are the Gainward, Leadtek, Elsa and Asus.

I'll stand by my earlier recommendation.

Or you can look at the ORB

m4a2t0t
10-29-01, 03:17 PM
what type of volt mods do u know of for those cards?

fartface
10-29-01, 04:20 PM
i do not recommend a VisionTek. They're speeds are acceptable, but they make some crappy parts for their graphics card. i am replacing my $400 VisionTek card in a month.

Thor Walez
10-29-01, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Idiot Savant
No, the Ti500 seem just to be clocked slightly higher, still using the same old 3.8ns ram as the GF3. Notice the GF3 has ample room for the other 64 MB, and now that the 8500 is starting to rain on nVidias parade, you can expect that other bank of DDR in there rather quickly.

*grrmbl* I have this "noname" board with 5ns SAMSUNG on it 240/400 is the fastest I can get ... heat is not the problem (sinks and fans on it!!!)

1000 / 5(ns) = 200mhz technical max. --> 400 DDR :confused:

-Thor :cry: :cry: :cry:

Idiot Savant
10-29-01, 05:26 PM
Noone recommends VisionTek, not even myself :)

I only have this one because it was the first attainable GF3 and I got it for $300. OFF OF EBAY.

Volt mods usually include AGP slot mods (board, I know), a few for mosfets... hell I cant remember.

Our lab is losing profits so we can't risk a bad mod on a $260 GF3.

I can tell you some people (not us) have peltiered a Vmodded VisionTek to 312/600, but the same mod will send an Elsa to 312/660 (that man currently has the highest posted bench score in 3dMark2001).

VisionTek has just left the OEM segment to go retail, it will take that brand time to be competitive in that market in any other segment than pricing.

btw thor, that is one l33t pic. Is that an Emporer cd?

Brent
10-29-01, 07:41 PM
See YoS comment.

-nt-

And that review isnt all too accurate, just about everyone I know has overclocked easily beyond those barriers. (However, extreme speeds near the 300/600s are horribly unstable without aftermarket cooling and volt mods)

Cards are not all built alike, I suppose some will be manufactured better than others. However, the best OC cards are the Gainward, Leadtek, Elsa and Asus.

I'll stand by my earlier recommendation.

Or you can look at the ORB

that was my review, and very accurate

EthanHunt16
10-29-01, 10:02 PM
lol if they do come with with a geforce3 128mb ddr card the poor person who forked out $2,150.00 US for a voodoo 5 6000 on ebay last week is gonna be furious

EthanHunt16
10-29-01, 10:05 PM
btw thor, that is one l33t pic. Is that an Emporer cd?

actually i think its the opening movie from etherlords, i have the beta, its a 1gig download that took forever and crashes alot

Idiot Savant
10-30-01, 02:41 AM
well brent, I'm just saying not all GF3 owners can look to that review and say "this and this is the max overclock and this card is always faster than this 1"

With the cards performance so close in so many tests, whos to say that some were just randomly better in build quality. Hell, its a fact some cards of the same make / model OC and perform better than others, so basically I would recommend cards that CONTINUALLY show OC ability and huge performance. Not just 1 card from that brand, more like an average per card so to speak.

Im not trying to discredit your review, I hope I'm being clear enough with my point.

YeOldeStonecat
10-30-01, 06:13 AM
Personally prefer other brands which make their own cards, but lets not forget many brands that used to be hot cards (like Elsa), have actually been made by Visiontek for the past year or more...Visiontek is an OEM/reference maker for many other brands.