PDA

View Full Version : P3 overclocking

alman
10-28-01, 04:00 PM
Ok i have a pentium 3 800eb processor that i want to overclock. But in my bios i can't change the core voltage for the CPU so that is kind of pissing me off. i know I dont need to but if i want to get this baby up to 1ghz dont u think i would need at least 1.75 core voltage for the CPU. I am not quite sure if it matters. If anyone has overclocked a P3 Could could you tell me if you changed the core voltage. Oh ya and one other thing, on the back of my power supply I have a switch for 115V and 230V. What does this mean and do? Thanks.

Jon
10-28-01, 04:57 PM
The switch on the back of your power supply is for voltage.

115 volts vs. 230 volts.

I believe the 230 volt setting is for European electricial delivery.

As for the oc'ing I'll leave that up to someone else. There are quite a few very knowledgeable people here who will get you up to speed very quickly.

Nitrogen Ace
10-28-01, 05:16 PM
I have seen a maximum of 88Mhz speed increase on my P3 667mhz processor. @ 150mhz FSB it runs stable at 750mhz. Unfortunatley I am unable to alter the core voltage however this wouldn't make a difference because changing the core voltage gives more stability not more speed.

It will depend on your motherboard how far you can overclock your P3 800 but you will definatly need to change the core voltage if you want to get to 1Ghz stable. The way to find out if you can do this, is to get your Motherboard manual and see if your motherboard allows the core voltage to be altered, and if so which jumpers/switches you will need to change in order increase it.

Make sure you make very small increases in the voltage and don't go too far with it otherwise your have a P3 paper weight instead of a 1Ghz processor. Also I would reccomend a good heat sink and fan for anyone overclocking their processsor.

Hope this helps :cool:

alman
10-28-01, 05:27 PM
ya I can't change the core voltage. too bad.

syncmaster
10-28-01, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by alman
Ok i have a pentium 3 800eb processor that i want to overclock. But in my bios i can't change the core voltage for the CPU so that is kind of pissing me off. i know I dont need to but if i want to get this baby up to 1ghz dont u think i would need at least 1.75 core voltage for the CPU. I am not quite sure if it matters. If anyone has overclocked a P3 Could could you tell me if you changed the core voltage. Oh ya and one other thing, on the back of my power supply I have a switch for 115V and 230V. What does this mean and do? Thanks.

You forgot to say your motherboard brand - model- chipset

alman
10-28-01, 05:48 PM
motherboard brand - Shuttle ( www.shuttleonline.com )
model - AV11 version 3 (not that great)
chipset - VIA apollo Pro 133

syncmaster
10-28-01, 06:12 PM
My personal advice is to not push the CPU at all .

The 133 Mhz is the waranty that your sub system is all ready very fast .

The extra cycles from 800 Mhz to 850 or at max 900 Mhz , will not help you at all .

Your system will become very unstable .

If you had one 100Mhz version of P3 i will advice you diferently .

I have also PIII :D my avatar say so too , any way its my second CPU ,i had one 650 CbO ,but it died .
So i got this PIII 1000 133 Bus 0.18 micron FCPGA2 .

The 133 bus PIIIs its not good overclockers.

But i know that your system is all ready very fast ,so do not worry .

Something that you can do to get some more power , but not crazy power :) is to get CAS 2 memory ..