PDA

View Full Version : Dont laugh, but...

mountainman
10-28-01, 10:12 AM
I have an HP Pavilion XL768..........OK, you done laughing? *taps foot* Now you done?? OK, good....;)

Anyway, here is my question. I am wondering how I can find out what I can upgrade and what I cannot upgrade. I think I only have one PCI slot that I can actually reach in the case. Do you know of a site where I can see how I can upgrade some of this crappy hardware?

Thanks all!!

PS Bashing of my computer is OK as long as you provide useful info. :D

HongKongPolice
10-28-01, 10:12 AM
Upgrade the whole computer (IE buy a new one)

mountainman
10-28-01, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by TigerUpperCut
Upgrade the whole computer (IE buy a new one)

Thanks for the help.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

terrancelam
10-28-01, 12:23 PM
Upgrading a premade comp from the big corps like HP and dell are usually harder. I really would suggest you build your own. For $800 american, I'm sure you can build a nice system (using your same monitor0

mountainman
10-28-01, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
Upgrading a premade comp from the big corps like HP and dell are usually harder. I really would suggest you build your own. For $800 american, I'm sure you can build a nice system (using your same monitor0

I tried this once for my parents and I, nor the people here, could/can get it fixed. They have SWEET hardware, but I cant get it all to run well together.

terrancelam
10-28-01, 12:52 PM
to post all those components?

Qwijib0
10-28-01, 01:14 PM
edit: ok idnore this post

Qwijib0
10-28-01, 01:19 PM
Ok, the HP site says that you've got an atlon at 900mhz. I'm guessing that it's a slot processor (PLEASE prove me wrong). If so, the only slot upgrage MIGHT be a 1ghz, but that's not enough to care. I don't know how much ram you have, but less than 256, toss in enough to get it there (ue the crucail link and their memory chooser to help you get the right stuff). You also mught consider a faster, bigger hard drive. you can use that free PCI slot to throw in an ATA/100(133) controller and a 10,00 rpm drive.

mountainman
10-28-01, 03:36 PM
to post all those components?

Here is what I used to make my parents computer back in March:

Full tower w/3 fans and 400w psu
AMD Athlon T-bird 850mHz
ABIT KT7A mobo
256MB PC133 RAM
IBM 30GB 7200rpm HD
ATI Radeon VE 32MB DDR RAM AGP
Creative SB Live! XGamer 5.1
3COM NIC
Thermaltake Volcano 5 heatsink
HP 16x8x40 CD-RW
generic 48X CD-ROM

Here is the problem I have with the above system: when doing things that would take a good amount of resource (install, running seveal programs, vid editing) it seems like the information is "bottlenecking" somewhere. It will be on the fast side, but then it seems that it lags and it wants to freeze, but then it "breaks through" and keeps going. After a second or two it does it again. It does this "bottle necking" thing when I install a program or install from disk. Anything. Any ideas??

--------------------------

as far as my computer.....I think I am going to upgrade my computer here (the crappy HP) to 512MB of PC133. The Crucial site sez I can put to sticks of 256 into my mobo. Think I should do this? It'll only be like $60.

Thanks all!!

onetrueday
10-28-01, 03:51 PM
You never mentioned what you're really looking for. I used to have a compaq persario 5220, which was based on an amdk6/2 380. I upgraded the processor to a 550 and saw a slight increase in speed. The BEST increase I saw was when I bought a new mobo for it. Now, you might be saying... you dont have the money to upgrade the whole computer. Please let me finish. I understand you might be too short on money right now for a MAJOR upgrade like that. Perhaps you should consider another route, depending on how much money you have. If you look around online, i'm sure you can find a slot mobo for well under a hundred. Those HP mobo's are horrible, and the mobo is the central part of the computer. If you are too strapped for cash, spend the money on JUST a slot mobo. Just make sure you read all the reviews you can find, to know of any known problems you might have before you install it. If you can afford it, I would buy an abit kt7a with a duron 800. I had put together a slot A 900 athlon with an epox mobo before I put together my present system with the duron and abit. The abit and duron setup was ALOT faster and more stable then the slot A system. The only problem is that the abit and duron will cost you about a 150 total, and you might require a slightly larger power supply. So, if money is very tight; just buy the mobo. You probably only spend slighty more then the 60 you'll blow on memory and you'll be more happy with the results. Please post present power supply, to avoid problems. If you needed a new power supply, you can buy a 300watt for 30 or less.

Now, let's fix your parents computer. I wouldnt be surprised if the problem either wasnt related to hardware, ie driver; or if it was a program that was loading at startup. I can bet you're either using win98se or winME because I've noticed the same thing when I used to use win98se. Now that I"m using win2k pro, that problem DOESNT happen. Here is what I would do. First, check msconfig and make sure nothing wierd is running, in fact, disable all optional startup programs including anti virus. See if that corrects the problem. If it doesnt, I'd reformat. No doubt about that. The real question would be if you use a newer OS. Win2k is VERY easy to use, it only has a bad reputation. Once all the updates are in, every program I've tried works. There are more options and features, but those are not required; so your parents will never have to notice they are there. If you use win2k, here is what I've noticed. On those 'faster' win98se days, it was SLIGHTLY faster then i'm running with win2k. Howver, with win2k I am ALWAYS running at the same speed. Everyday it never seems to change. So, your parents dont want to lose info? PM me and I can find a DISCOUNTED version of partition magic, so you can save ALL the data for them.

Please, let me know what you decided to do and good luck. I love your website and you sure seem like a happy couple!

michelle

terrancelam
10-28-01, 03:52 PM
Running several programs will lag even the most intensive of 850mhz processors. Hmm If it isn't freezing, then you can definately stand to do some tweaking. Just some basic information:

1.)Is the os a fresh install or a transplanted from a old system?
(Do you have Win98Se or any other os avaible to you for installation?)

2.)Have you have any problems with your soundcard? The SB Live! Series is well known for causing problems with Via based chipsets (Especially the KT7A).

3.)Have you installed the Via 4in1s?

4.)Have you made sure your HD is running ata100?

5.)What programs are you running upon boot?

mountainman
10-28-01, 05:41 PM
Running several programs will lag even the most intensive of 850mhz processors. Hmm If it isn't freezing, then you can definately stand to do some tweaking. Just some basic information:

1.)Is the os a fresh install or a transplanted from a old system?
(Do you have Win98Se or any other os avaible to you for installation?)

2.)Have you have any problems with your soundcard? The SB Live! Series is well known for causing problems with Via based chipsets (Especially the KT7A).

3.)Have you installed the Via 4in1s?

4.)Have you made sure your HD is running ata100?

5.)What programs are you running upon boot?

1) The OS has been installed, reinstalled, and then installed again with FULL formats inbetween. I have had nothing but problems with this computer since I tried putting it together which is the reason I want to buy my next puter from Dell. Cuz I SUCK at these.

2) I dont know of any sound card issues. One thing that it did/does RARELY is when it does freeze using something requiring sound, it will keep a long "buzz sound" until you turn off the power.

3) What is the Via 4in1s? If it came with the vid card, probably, but I'll check again.

4) I dont know how to do this. Help?

5) I have it down to the minimum on all computers I use. I dont like many programs running as not to slow down restarts.

-to me, it seems like something is set wrong in BIOS or something that should be set higher to allow more info to pass at a higher rate. any more info would be GREAT! Thank you.

ONETRUEDAY....I'll PM you back here in a little bit when I have more time. Thank you!

onetrueday
10-28-01, 06:51 PM
omg... you need the via drivers... totally necessary

Download the 4.35 and install them from here (http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2)