PDA

View Full Version : A7V133 users

NuclearHeadache
10-28-01, 10:09 AM
This motherboard sucks. I can never get the promise slots to work and it underclocks my CPU.

So I DL a Bios update and it fixes my clock speed but destroyed some sectors on my HD, I noticed my HD was crashing a lot.

Don't ask me how it did so or what I did but the guys at Maxtor asked my what mobo and update I was using and then they said
"ok it has to be replaced"...........

60gigs of stuff all gone. And I can't even low level format cus the HD won't allow me to for some reason.

I read in an A7V forum that someone else had the same problem but with a different HD.

So what is the safest Bios update and is it even worth it using the promise controllers?

I do not want to lose the HD again.

terrancelam
10-28-01, 12:45 PM
Hmmm where did you buy your mobo and how long ago?

NuclearHeadache
10-28-01, 01:12 PM
Canada Computers, 1 month or so. damn I should have picked up an Abit.

terrancelam
10-28-01, 01:15 PM
Yea, that where I was considering getting mine, but I got it off a friend instead (another comp shop, they match the prices of Canada comp for me and so I shop with them.) Can you still return it for the abit one?

NuclearHeadache
10-28-01, 01:19 PM
I highly doubt it. I just hope that when I get my new HD from Maxtor that all my problems will go away. I get frequent freezing, system restarts, read/write errors and lots more. Should have bout a Western Digi. I heard 35% of Maxtors turn out to be defective. figures I'd find out after I buy mine.

What store is that you're talking about? Do they have a web site?

terrancelam
10-28-01, 01:48 PM
isn't that bad, infact they are getting quite good the quality of the HDs. As for the freezing and such, what wattage is your PSU?

For Filtech, they are on Spadina, on the eastside a bit south from college (South of the Pizza Nova there) their website is:
www.filtechcomputer.com

Murman
10-28-01, 02:24 PM
That sounds really strange, I wonder if you just have a flaky board. I use the A7V133, got it about 6 months ago, havn't had any problems with it at all .. only thing is it runs really hot with the AMD chip, other than that it's a pretty screaming board. Mine would underclock as well until I just updated to the 1007 bios.

Thats a real bummer .. hope your new drive works out for you.

NuclearHeadache
10-28-01, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the posts guys. The motherboard was a good price $170.00 or so. It does run hot but I have eight fans :D
The main reason I picked it up was because it has four IDE ports.

The Promise IDE ports are known for major problems. I just wish I could get my HD on one of the promise controlers and CDROM and Burner on primary IDE's one and two.

check out the mobo
here (http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/asus/a7v133/a7v133p2.htm)
Without sound that is

monkeyhead
10-28-01, 04:51 PM
im having a problem with that board right now, long beeps in an endless loop..... manual says its no dram installed, have tried many sticks but get no results. Cant do anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

NuclearHeadache
10-28-01, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by michaelanthony
im having a problem with that board right now, long beeps in an endless loop..... manual says its no dram installed, have tried many sticks but get no results. Cant do anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Your specs say you have a dually!?!?!

monkeyhead
10-28-01, 06:10 PM
cmon were all geeks here, do you just have one computer and thats it?

Although its not mine anyway, its my brothers one i helped put together. It was working too, then he shutdown one night came back in the morning to turn on and it just didnt boot and gave the endless loop beeping.

Gonna try to clear the cmos tonite, hope that works

Murman
10-29-01, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by NuclearHeadache
Thanks for the posts guys. The motherboard was a good price $170.00 or so. It does run hot but I have eight fans :D
The main reason I picked it up was because it has four IDE ports.

The Promise IDE ports are known for major problems. I just wish I could get my HD on one of the promise controlers and CDROM and Burner on primary IDE's one and two.

check out the mobo
here (http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/asus/a7v133/a7v133p2.htm)
Without sound that is

You have the RAID jumper set by chance? maybe that's why it's not working for you.. it's JP13 & JP14 pins 1 & 2 , maybe you have it on 3 & 2 ?