PDA

View Full Version : win2k/radeon64ddr games too dark?

onetrueday
10-28-01, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone! For those of you who might not know, my system is as follows:

duron800
abit kt7a
512megs
radeon64ddr(2nd newest drivers)
philips rythmic sc
etc

win2k with tiny running on startup, untweaked services.exe

I've been having this problem for a LONG time and it's really starting to make me MAD! Games and movies appear too dark, and the problem cant be fixed by simply changing the gamma. Now, I was using winXP for a while and the video was amazing on that for me. I rarely had a problem with the games being too dark and movies looked amazing, but I was having sound problems and another bug. Once in a while, the games might look too dark, but usually a restart would solve it. Now that more offical drivers are out, I might go back; however I'm stuck and curious.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it? I use radeon tweaker and I tweaked everything according to suggested, assuming that my system could handle it.

Wait, after giving it some thought I remember something. The default drivers in winXP looked fine for me. However, the default driver didnt support tvout. If I installed a differant driver, any driver; I had the same dark problems again.

It's almost to the point where I am considering a geforce2mx 64meg 400. I cant take this anymore.

YARDofSTUF
10-28-01, 04:51 AM
jesse23 has a radeon of some sort and had that problem with openGL

onetrueday
10-28-01, 05:22 AM
Thank you very much yos, i'll pm jesse23 and see if he ever found a fix for it.

MagicMikey
10-28-01, 09:34 AM
Maybe turn up the Brightness on your monitor using the front buttons....

By raising the gamma...you mean raising it in Settings?

onetrueday
10-28-01, 03:35 PM
Raising the gamma doesnt help, it washes out the image. Plus, some games dont let you use the hot key gamma adjustment.

terrancelam
10-28-01, 03:45 PM
onetrue, have you tried different drivers? I unfortunately am still with win98SE, so I won't be much help to you.

One other thing, in Powerstrip, you should be able to adjust the gama from there. Also in Display Properties, have you tried adjusting the brightness from there?

Another thing, I know I did this once, I disabled the LoadPowerProfile and a whole bunch of my setting (including sound) would reset to the lowest setting.

onetrueday
10-28-01, 09:01 PM
Yahoo!! I no longer dislike ati! I just downloaded the NEWEST win2k beta drivers and it solved my darkness problems. These drivers kick butt! No, I dont have any 3dmark scores... games just look better.

MartialArtist12
10-29-01, 08:18 PM
I stay on Windows 98SE. Like my trusty 7075 drivers.

onetrueday
10-30-01, 09:34 AM
I think I understand why the gamma hotkeys didnt work. It seems that undying has a gamma level in the advanced video controls. I suppose it would make sense if a controller was there, to over-ride a hotkey; thus disabling it.

Looks perfect now, with the correction. Just scary enough and I can even see where i'm going!

Brent
10-30-01, 10:21 AM
just FYI for everyone there is a program called 3DMax or somethin that you install and it automatically adjusts brightness or increased it or something in games, it's suppose to make games look like they never have before with proper lighting and shadows and stuff.... i have it but i haven't tried it yet.... it's on a CD

i'll try it someday, or rip of off the cd and let someone download it if they wanna try it