PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling Dangerous??

Nitrogen Ace
10-28-01, 03:21 AM
I am about to get a totally new system, and am thinking about going with watercooling. The only thing holding me back is the fact that it is potentially fatal too my very expensive components if either I **** up or it ****s up. I would like to know how complicated it is and how often it goes wrong. :confused:

I will be buying the Blizzard watercooling kit if I decide to take the plunge. :confused:

Thanks

YARDofSTUF
10-28-01, 04:55 AM
well u set up the cooling without it eing attached to the cpu first and run it a while to make sure it has no leaks and crap, then u attach it and insulate it, i dont know the best way to insulate u'll have to ask, but water cooling isnt that hard was u take a good look into it, i'm gonna be buying a (overpricedin many ppl's opinion) sweet ass one within a few months i hope :D

HongKongPolice
10-28-01, 08:27 AM
Never buy kits, only buy the block and the rest you can get from local stores, kits are rip offs.

KANO
10-28-01, 08:55 AM
water cooling is safe, but like everything you might be unlucky and get a faulty product, even though i know there tested, i would still run a few weeks non stop test, when i get my watercooled case.

HongKongPolice
10-28-01, 10:09 AM
Dude, you're all paranoid about watercooling. NOTHING will FRY if you get some water in your case, i've tried it before, all that happened is the shorted components don't work until you dry them out, they DIDN'T GET FRIED. You know why?? Almost everyting on the mobo is using 5Volts OR LESS, not enough to FRY ANYTHING.

YARDofSTUF
10-28-01, 10:12 AM
run it enough to make sure there are no hole from shipping and set it up, i know they make insulation for the watercooling so look for that, maybe someone has links to it or know of places.

RoundEye
10-28-01, 10:57 AM
Tigers right,

Pure water does not conduct electricity. It's the salt (salt water) or copper and iron (fresh water) that cause problems. Use purified water and if something happens, and you dry it off right away, you should be OK. Now, water is not the best thing for hard drive and fan bearings or optical devices, it will shorten their lives if it gets on them.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to dry off my cell phone or pager after getting caught in the rain on my motorbike.

I take out the batteries, put them in the oven at about 100 degrees Fahrenheit, after about two hours all is good. Although sometimes the display will fog up and take a while to clear.

But the water will screw things up in the long run.

HongKongPolice
10-28-01, 11:27 AM
I use tap water for my setup, which does conduct some electricity, but like I said before, it'll work again once itz dried

Nitrogen Ace
10-28-01, 12:39 PM
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/products.php?view=list&catId=20

gmcd33
10-28-01, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by TigerUpperCut
Never buy kits, only buy the block and the rest you can get from local stores, kits are rip offs.

I agree 100% Kits are terrible. The parts are cheap and overpriced

Nitrogen Ace
10-28-01, 05:24 PM
You guys aren't really convincing me here I was expecting to hear something like "watercooling setups don't let any water out and none of your components will ever get wet". Rather than "just dry it really quickly and it will be ok "or shove it in the oven when it gets wet".

can someone give me a list of all the stuff I need for a full water cooling setup, And tell me where to get some insulation please????

I will be buying from here : - http://www.tekheads.co.uk/products.php?view=list&catId=20

Thanks

HongKongPolice
10-28-01, 05:35 PM
Obviously, it won't leak, i've been using watercooling for over a year and I've never had an unintentional leak, we're saying that even if you DO have a leak, nothing SERIOUS will happen.

Get a Maze block, they're very good, can't you order from www.dangerden.com ?

Nitrogen Ace
10-28-01, 05:45 PM
I don't no whether you have this in the US but I have what is called a solo card, it's like a credit card but for people under 18. U.S. stores don't accept this card and so I can only buy from UK stores online. I am however now 18 but I don't really want a credit card cos I hate debt and having one will probably get me in it.

The Maze AMD blocks are sold at my favourite UK O/C store anyway follow link.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/products.php?view=list&catId=20

there are three maze blocks here are any of them good blocks???

BTW Still need a list of all the other stuff I need for water cooling??

HongKongPolice
10-28-01, 05:58 PM
Depends on if you wanna use a peltier or not, if not, then you don't need the coldplate

m4a2t0t
10-28-01, 07:33 PM
do u need to use the foam and seal the cpu if u are using water that is at room temp,i thought that u only needed to do that if u are using a peltier of chilled water.

colour
10-28-01, 08:39 PM
well i normally frown at kits but water cooling kits and baybus kits are the only acceptions.

i can not find nifty reservoirs(like overclockershideout.com's) and some of the more elaborate radioters locally.

after all the trouble i go through to customize my case i dont want to end up sticking something unattractive in there.

oh yeah nitrogen ace, get a debit/check card it works just like a credit card only it takes money out of a checking account so you only can spend money that you actually have. works as an atm card also.