PDA

View Full Version : question on how to hook up my second H/D

Rings890
10-26-01, 06:57 PM
I just got a second H/D and I am not 100% sure how to hook it up so that it is it's own seperat drive. I want to have a completly seperate O/S on it. (one for work and one for games)
The Drive is a 40GB AT Fireball Plus AS. There are some instructions on the drive to do with the jumper configuration.
I am not a big hardware guy so I am kind of lost here. Is there a site I can go look at for instructions on "how to".

There were no paper instructions with the drive, or mounting hardware either.

Murman
10-26-01, 09:25 PM
Read through this data, you should be able to find what you need. As for the jumpers it depends on which EIDE channel you put the drive on and whats all ready on your EIDE channels. Usally you have the C:\ drive on the primary as master and the CDrom drive on the secondary as master. You can change the CDrom to slave(setting's on cdrom drive) and make your new drive master and pop it on the same ribbon as the cd drive.

http://www.maxtor.com/Quantum/support/hdd/fireball_plusas_ata_support.htm

Easto
10-26-01, 09:43 PM
I do not see any need to have 2 os's. You can just install the other drive and then when you download or install anything for work, put it on 1 drive and put everything else, games etc on the other drive.

The normal setup would be. IDE channel 0, Master as your first hard disk drive. Ide channel 1 - Master your second drive with your cd rom as the slave.

poptom
10-26-01, 11:03 PM
I believe placing a HD and CD on the same channel will slow the data transfer on the HD. I've always used HDs master and slave on the primary channel with CD and other stuff on secondary. My HDs are ATA66 and I don't know what the CD uses.

Rings890
10-27-01, 12:10 AM
Ok thanks folks, I think I can figure it out. If you don't hear from me for a couple of day it means that I let the "Magic" smoke out and everyone knows that coputers need the magic smoke to work, because if the magic smoke comes out they stop working and you can't put the smoke back in;)

Easto
10-27-01, 12:10 AM
As you can see there are many opinions as to how to hook it up. I would suggest trying both ways and benchmarking each of them to see what works best for your particular setup.

good luck

Joe
10-27-01, 12:16 AM
your ide cable should have an extra spot after the initial hard driver.. hook it up there and set the second HDs jumper to slave...

make sure you format and create a partition on the fireball if its new...