PDA

View Full Version : Whatz the point of 100Mbps USB NICs??

HongKongPolice
10-26-01, 12:38 PM
I just got a LinkSys 100Mbps USB NIC from a friend who got cable installed on his laptop so he got a PCMCIA NIC and a USB NIC for free. I read the specs, and it said that buffered USB can only transfer 12MBps... So whats the point of a 100MBps NIC then if the USB is the bottleneck?? Its also obvious that you probably won't even get 12MBps over USB....

YeOldeStonecat
10-26-01, 05:16 PM
It's nice to know the NIC will not have a problem hooking up to a 100 Mb only hub...as yes out there in the real world there are some hubs/switches that are 100 only speed....so hooking up a 10 Mb NIC to it would not work.

Plus, currently the chipsets out there are 10/100 chipsets...so it's cheaper to build NICs with existing large amounts of stock items out there, instead of trying to find or make small productions of 10 Mb chipsets which are rarely found anymore.

It's like trying to buy brand new EDO 72 pin SIMM memory these days, since it's so damn old and hardly made anymore, it's actually darn expensive.

el bob
10-26-01, 06:22 PM
Are you sure that USB is 12 mega bits per second and not 12 mega bytes per second?

I can't recall it off the top of my head but that would make a big difference.

HongKongPolice
10-26-01, 06:49 PM
Sayz on the box: upto 12Mbps, as in MegaBits

Theres a 10mbit version of the network card, so I don't think itz cuz there aren't any 10mbit chips in stock.

Only thing I can think of is advertising hype. Normally ppl will obviously think a 10/100 is faster than just a 10mbit..

USB NICs are pure crap too, I tried it with my cable modem and I get upto 6% PACKET LOSS with it, but no probs with my 3Com PCI NIC

Such a waste tho, USB 2.0 can go upto 480Mbps, only then will a 10/100Mbps NIC be useful

Brent
10-26-01, 07:07 PM
USB 1.0 = 12mbps which is roughly 1.25 Mega Bytes per second

10/100mbps = routhly 10 mega bytes per second

Yep, a conflict, your 10/100 usb nic will only really do 12mbps max so really no point in getting a 100mbps nic unless you have usb 2.0, the other advantage is so you can do full duplex 10mbps instead of half duplex, but some 10mbps only adapters can do full duplex so again really no point if your using usb 1

BaLa
10-26-01, 07:08 PM
on the other hand
most cable modems are 10mbps

onetrueday
10-26-01, 07:59 PM
Unless I read this thread incorrectly, you're thinking of using usb to connect a cable modem. This is NOT a good idea. Usb was never meant to sustain such high demands over a long period of time. The only reason your cable modem supports usb hookup is because the ISP's asked them too. This was to make installation CHEAPER, not to offer a better product. Connecting though a NIC will give you better speeds and much more stablility.

Brent
10-26-01, 08:34 PM
we are discussing USB NIC's vs. PCMCIA NIC's

in which case the PCMCIA would be a better deal especially for LAN transfers and overall better stablity then USB NIC's, BUT USB nic's do work, I had one on my laptop when i use to have a laptop and it worked fine..... but it can be flaky with some

USB 2.0 is a lot better then 1.0 however

drdoug99
10-26-01, 08:51 PM
speaking of USB 2.0...is that standard on all motherboards now?

and my motherboard...is a KT7e...will a BIOS update enable USB 2.0? or is 2.0 a totally new hardware specification?

Brent
10-26-01, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by drdoug99
speaking of USB 2.0...is that standard on all motherboards now?

and my motherboard...is a KT7e...will a BIOS update enable USB 2.0? or is 2.0 a totally new hardware specification?

it's a totally new technology, allowing over 400mbps of speed

it requires a whole new usb 2.0 chip on the motherboard to replace the usb 1.0 hub on there now....

the only mobo i know for sure that has usb 2.0 on it is the MSI K7T266 Pro 2

however there might be more out th ere i do not know about with usb 2.0 on em

eventually it will become standard, but it's going to take a few months most likely.....

HongKongPolice
10-26-01, 09:21 PM
USB NICs are crappy, i get upto 6% packet loss with this Linksys USB NIC. I've got all the correct drivers installed 'n stuff.

terrancelam
10-26-01, 11:38 PM
USB 2.0 sounds interesting, will have to see if the KT7A has it. But Tiger, if your pal has both the PCMCIA and the USB nic, whats the prob? Just put the USB into storage and or put it onto a another comp. If he gave it to you, just put it away or sell it (BTW from what I know, cable and dsl in toronto won't go just faster then 1.5mb d/l / u/l, so it doesn't really matter does it.)

ncswimmer
10-27-01, 02:51 AM
Aside from the quality issues, the USB NIC should theoretically be fine, since most cable and DSL modems only have a 10 Mbps connection on the LAN side anyway, and furthermore, the fastest connection you'll get on them will probably be significantly less than the 10 Mbps. That means that you should have more available bandwidth on the NIC than you can actually use, just like anyone with a 10/100 Mbps NIC.

YARDofSTUF
10-27-01, 04:52 AM
maybe the nic is for usb 2.0, either way usb is best used for mouse, game controller or printer imo, usb nic is to a real nic as aol is to a real ISP

Brent
10-27-01, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by terrancelam
USB 2.0 sounds interesting, will have to see if the KT7A has it. But Tiger, if your pal has both the PCMCIA and the USB nic, whats the prob? Just put the USB into storage and or put it onto a another comp. If he gave it to you, just put it away or sell it (BTW from what I know, cable and dsl in toronto won't go just faster then 1.5mb d/l / u/l, so it doesn't really matter does it.)

the KT7A does not have it built into the mobo, it's an older mobo now....

however you CAN buy USB 2.0 PCI cards that have like 4 usb 2.0 ports on them

terrancelam
10-27-01, 01:20 PM
I just thought it was cool, definately not buying just for that! :)