PDA

View Full Version : P III 1000 VS AthlonXP 1800+

lundrog
10-26-01, 09:59 AM
Hello.

I have a P III 1000 with a Abit VP6 Board and 512 mb of ram right now. I was wondering if you think it would be worth it to upgrade to a AthlonXP 1800+ with a Msi kt266a board, and DDr 2100 ram.

I am thinking of upgrading, and i wanted to know everyones view on this. so post replys, post benchmarks, links, you name it.

thanks

terrancelam
10-26-01, 10:22 AM
If you want bragging rites and what not, then yet it would be worth the upgrade, but for other then that, I would have to say no. Unless you need that kind of power in your box, why the heck would you buy it? Do ou run some serious apps that a PIII 1ghz can't handle? Do you really need the extra 400mhz? Is it really worth paying like another 1000 dollars for a more s.o.t.a system that will be beat in a few months?

I say you should be happy with the system you have now. It's pretty darn fast and gets the job done for just about every game.

Brent
10-26-01, 10:41 AM
it depends what you do with yoru computer

so tell us, what do you do with your computer?

If you just casual surf the web and do office type apps no reason to upgrade

but if you are a hardcore gamer or graphics/video/sound editor etc... then an upgrade would be good

also what vid card you got?

lundrog
10-26-01, 01:29 PM
I play games, do some photo editing, I collect Mp3's.

A Video Card Is The Other Thing I Need TO Upgrade My Gforce 256 DDR Is Getting Quite Old.

I Am Torn Between Upgrading That And My System.

Brent
10-26-01, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by lundrog

A Video Card Is The Other Thing I Need TO Upgrade My Gforce 256 DDR Is Getting Quite Old.

simple, if gaming, video card no question about it

a P3 1Ghz and all you have is reallly good actually, but if you game a vid card upgrade would be worth it, but don't be cheap about it, get the latest thing to see some good improvements, a GF3 or GF3 Ti 500 will last you a pretty good time.....

YeOldeStonecat
10-26-01, 03:23 PM
I'm going from current rig in my sig below, to the Palo 1800+ on the Asus a7n266.

syncmaster
10-26-01, 04:08 PM
I am not going anywere , i am on one missile PIII-1000 with 768Mbs SDRAM top class .

And i feel dizy from all that speed :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

gertvanjoe
10-26-01, 07:14 PM
I got my AMD 1.2 T-bird and I'm very happy with it . The new mobo also supports my ATA 100 so I'm "leaving on a rocket" instead of "leaving on a jetplane " :)

syncmaster
10-26-01, 07:26 PM
Its nice to see happy people around the SG , with what they own.
It does not matter what is it .
The point is to feel good with your box .

I just read this today , its old news now , but still it does not bother me that INTEL doing this idiotic moves ..

.................................................................................................... .....
Product Discontinuance for: Desktop Tray and Boxed Pentium (R) III Processors (0.18u) 700, 733, 750, 800, 850, 866, 933 MHz and 1 GHz IN the SECC2 Package
Revision 1 Revision 1 of this PCN is being published to reflect an extension of the " Forecasted Key Milestones " above. The " Product Discontinuance Demand to Local Intel Representative Due " and " AllOrders For this Discontinued Product Become Non-Cancelable ON " date has been extended from August 10, 2001 to September 14, 2001. Market demand for the Desktop Tray and Boxed Pentiumr III processors (0.18m) 700, 733, 800/100, 800/133, 850, 866, 933 MHz and 1 GHz/100 MHz, 1 GHz/133 MHz IN the SECC2 Package, Has shifted to higher performance Intelr processors. The products identified IN this notification will be discontinued for Intel Architecture Component Customers and unavailable for additional orders after the " Last Product Discontinuance Order Date ".

terrancelam
10-26-01, 11:41 PM
Get a new video card. Two main competitors for most of SGs tech posters are the Radeon 8500DV(Get the retail version only, not OEM) and the Geforce 3 Ti(A worthy upgrade). Both have their unique elements and offer great gaming support. The GF3 Ti is better for gaming, but the Radeon offers ViVo(Along with firewire abilities) and better DvD playback support. Depends on your prefference (Also the GF3 is a bit more expensive, about $350USD i think?)

Originally posted by lundrog