PDA

View Full Version : Computer Humming Like Crazy

Lancer_Evolutio
10-26-01, 12:04 AM
It hums so loud. Is it my fan? :mad:

Qwijib0
10-26-01, 01:02 AM
check by stopping it with a pen for a few secs. If the noise goes away then yes it was your fan. If it's the PS fan, then you'll have to buy a new PS to fix it.

poptom
10-26-01, 01:26 AM
Are you sure it isn't just the CD spinning?

BaLa
10-26-01, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Qwijib0
check by stopping it with a pen for a few secs. If the noise goes away then yes it was your fan. If it's the PS fan, then you'll have to buy a new PS to fix it.

depends on how good he is with a soldering iron..

poptom
10-26-01, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by BaLa
Yeah, a PS fan shouldn't hard to replace.

Zmoney
10-26-01, 02:36 AM

to replace a power supply??????ummm...no......just pull a few wires...and plug some new ones in..if ya need any help jst ask.....o and as to what else that noise is...make sure you dont have a cd in....then check the fan on your power supply.....good luck

Z$

Qwijib0
10-26-01, 10:24 AM

I wasn't sure if his computer skills, and I didn't want him to open the thing ad go touchin's tuff then <ZAP> and no more lancer_evolutio

YARDofSTUF
10-26-01, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Qwijib0

<ZAP> and no more lancer_evolutio

:rotfl:

gertvanjoe
10-26-01, 03:45 PM
:rotfl:

Ok . Heres a tip . If you see big black capasitors { cilyncric and BIG } leave them alone :) Those are slow release hig volt caps :)

My PSU's fan is soldered on the PCB . If you really can't solder cut the wires and twist a new fan's wires with them and isolate them properly . Should do the trick

ncswimmer
10-27-01, 03:03 AM
I had the same problem about a year ago. I checked the case fan, and that wasn't the problem. I unplugged it, and the noise was still going. I could tell just from where the general area where the sound was coming from was that it wasn't from the PSU. It turns out it was the fan on my video card, which I didn't even realize had a fan on it. I discovered it was the video card fan when I took it out and then booted up, and there was no noise anymore. I got Dell to send someone out to replace it (the whole video card, not just the fan on it), and then it was fine. For a while. Then the same thing happened again, so they sent me another video card, which I replaced myself. Again, it was fine for a while, and then the noise came back. Now they refuse to replace my video card again just for the noise, they say it must be just how the card is. The thing is, it only makes the noise if I turn my computer off for a while, and then turn it on again. After it's been running for a little while, the noise just goes away. I guess when the fan gets a chance to cool down, that somehow makes it noisy the next time it comes on again. I don't really understand it, but that's all I have. If I had the equipment, and the skills, I guess I could remove the fan from the video card and solder on a new, better fan, but I don't, so I can't. So I just leave my comp running 24/7, among other reasons, so I don't have to listen to the loud noise until the fan can warm up.