PDA

View Full Version : CD rom detection in XP

smidley
10-24-01, 07:49 PM
hummm...well....yea...well i just rebooted and now my cdroms arnt there!?!?!..in my device manager they have a yellow !...i tried reinstalling drivers, rebooting, powering down for a few..and still not there....GRRRRRRRR what is happen9ing...the only thing that i have installed was norton ghost 2002..any ideaz?..o and i uninstalled that...and rebooted..and still not there..

thx

smidley
10-24-01, 09:10 PM
I did a windows update to see if there were any XP drivers out for either my burner or CD-ROM drive.... there were none. also the strange thing is, both the CD-ROM and CD-RW are set to slave each on a seperate IDE ribbon with a HD as the master on both of the ribbons. I made sure they were plugged in, and they were, even the BIOS sees them fine. I just can't get windows XP to use them.... tell me what to do!

Jesse23
10-24-01, 09:30 PM
What mobo do you have? Does it use a via chipset?

smidley
10-24-01, 09:34 PM
I am on the ASUS P3-BX... this uses an Intel Chipset (440BX)
hope that helps.

drdoug99
10-24-01, 09:36 PM
this happned to me before on the previous builds of XP....

I rebooted, and it was fixed, lol.

Try uninstalling the CDROMs in device manager.

Then right click, and Search for new hardware, let XP detect the drives, and install the software. Hopefully that will work.

If it doesn't, try uninstalling the CD's, then rebooting.

Try and recheck all your cables then too, plug them in good, or try a new slave/master combonation.

good luck.:)

smidley
10-24-01, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I tried uninstalling them, but it said that it couldn't find drivers for them after that. and the companies web sites don't have XP drivers out.

Jesse23
10-24-01, 10:07 PM
you removed the cds?

try putting them on diff setting

try one on master

RoundEye
10-24-01, 10:48 PM
Have you tried updating the drivers for the BX chipset? Intel just updated the drivers to support XP. It may or may not let you install the drivers since XP should have built-in support for the BX chipset. I wont hurt to try.

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (http://developer.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/inf.htm)

smidley
10-24-01, 11:21 PM
It says I don't need to do the update becuase the current OS supports the intel chipset... no update was needed. and I can't try the CD drives as master, becuase I have a full tower case and the drives are at the top... this is the only configuration I can set up. I know this is a driver problem tho... nothing is wrong with my hardware setup.

Jesse23
10-24-01, 11:51 PM
force the update

smidley
10-24-01, 11:56 PM
lol... don't think that is gonna happen.

drdoug99
10-25-01, 12:42 AM
fix it yet?

smidley
10-25-01, 01:01 AM
nope:(

smidley
10-25-01, 03:47 PM
Still need help here..... Please help me.....:(

Prey521
10-25-01, 03:50 PM
Come to think of it, the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, all my CD drives just stopped working on my main PC running XP. I thought it was the IDE channel or something, but it wasn't, this went on for a few days, then outta nowhere all my CD drives started workin again by themselves, weird.

smidley
10-25-01, 04:02 PM
Ok, I'll see if there is an update when I get home... if not, I guess I'll just wait a few days.... but grr... I have stuff to burn!

playa4u1415
10-25-01, 04:18 PM
Win XP comes with a very 'weird' ASCI manager. I have an ASCI manager that might make win xp start using your cdrom drives properly. I don't know exactly how ASCI manager affects the cddrives, but in any case, it wouldn't hurt to try. send me an email at makaveli118@gamebox.net if you want them.

Prey521
10-25-01, 04:42 PM
Don't you mean ASPI? :)

smidley
10-25-01, 04:46 PM
well whatever... send them to me... smidley14@yahoo.com
or hey, I will send you and E-mail.

Prey521
10-25-01, 04:55 PM
I sent you ForceASPI Smid, which will update your ASPI layer to the latest version from Adaptec.

smidley
10-25-01, 05:47 PM
ok, I got that ASPI program... now how do I use it?

smidley
10-25-01, 05:53 PM
OK, I figured out how to use the program, but it didn't help at all.... the error is that the CD drives could not properly be installed becuase the registry entry is not complete... or something like that... it had to do with the registry... does anyone know where the registry keys would be for these, so that I can just delete them and start over? thanx.

smidley
10-26-01, 12:46 PM
Please I still need help... any word on those registry keys? I am unable to find anything.

smidley
10-26-01, 08:13 PM
<BUMP>

drdoug99
10-26-01, 09:15 PM
try reinstalling windows XP....do the repair feature.

:confused:

what's the EXACT error message you get too?

smidley
10-27-01, 01:12 AM
This is the Exact error I get....
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
Hope that helps.

smidley
10-27-01, 09:18 PM
still need some help here guys... c'mon, where are all the mad CD-ROM guru's at?

drdoug99
10-28-01, 12:58 AM
Quote direct from Microsoft:

Code 19
Your registry may be bad. (Code 19)

To check your registry, click Check Registry. If the registry is bad, Windows will restart your system and go back to a previous registry that is good.

Solution button: Check Registry

This code means that the registry returned an unknown result.

To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution, which will run Scanreg.exe. If this does not resolve the issue, type "scanreg /restore" (without quotation marks) from a command prompt. Finally, remove the device from Device Manager, and then redetect it using the Add New Hardware tool in Control Panel.

hopefully that will work....i've posted your question in other forums I goto, hopefully we can get an anwser there.

smidley
10-28-01, 01:06 AM
thanx man, I'll try that as soon as I get back to my XP box... I sure hope this works.

RoundEye
10-28-01, 01:51 AM
Scanreg/Restore sounds like a Win9X command, are you sure that's for XP?

smidley,
go into device manager and look at the IDE/ATAPI Controllers.
Look at both the Primary and Secondary IDE Channel properties. Go to the Advanced Settings and make sure both Device 0 and Device 1 is set to Auto Detection.

Also check your bios and make sure both IDE channels are enabled.

drdoug99
10-28-01, 01:51 AM
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

that's from microsoft, so I guess it does apply.

I've never used the scanreg/restore myself, so I dont know how it will turn out.

and have you ever tried to switch your drives around yet? from master/slave and all that?

drdoug99
10-28-01, 04:00 PM
are you using Nero or anything like that Smidley?

check this out.

http://www.dblclan.net/BetaNet/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000691

and then here's the thread I started in the same forum, about your problem.

http://www.dblclan.net/BetaNet/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000890

drdoug99
10-28-01, 09:46 PM
any luck yet???

smidley
10-29-01, 12:40 AM
Sorry man, I havn't had time to check yet... and I'll have to do it tomorrow... I just got back from a day with my girlfriend... so ya know.. women come first...;)

drdoug99
10-29-01, 01:04 AM
that's cool....ya, I have to agree with you...a day with my girl, or a day trying to figure out my computer.....the computer wins everytime!, no wait, I mean my girl, yea.:D

smidley
10-29-01, 05:26 PM
YAAAAYYY!!!!!!
I LOVE YOU ALL AT SPEEDGUIDE SOO MUCH! I got it fixed! that registry thin worked... I guess that's all it took. Thanx soo much!:D :D :D :)

drdoug99
10-29-01, 06:39 PM
cool bro....FINALLY!!:)

l3ill
11-02-01, 07:04 PM
heres what u do. uninstall ur cdrom drivers. open up the windows xp disc. theres something called imapi.ex_ open that. then drag it and imapi.sy_ to ur desktop. make copies of those on ur desktop. rename the copied one to imapi.sys and imapi.exe. so now u have 4 files. now go to add hardware. its gonna say the error witht he cdrom drives. delete the imapi.sys in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\. now go to cdpoperties and click update. locate the files on ur desktop. u gotta do this over and over, at leat 3 times, and it'll work. the problem why u have this is because of nero 5.5. nero 5.0 doesnt have a problem. uninstalling nero right now wont do ****,