PDA

View Full Version : I Am Getting a Radeon 8500

Brent
10-24-01, 05:38 PM
Kyle is gonna send me his Radeon 8500 so that I can write a follow up article with the new drivers coming out. There is a set coming out I think tomorrow, or at least by the end of this month. And there is another set coming out Mid November which ATI is claiming will "make this card look like a newer one" or someting like that.

Anyways I'll find out if it's all true cause that's what i'll be writting about. Basically I'll take a look at the Radeon 8500 with it's new drivers and see what's been improved upon the old ones and what the card is made of :)

I also have some interesting DX8 tools which send DX 8 calls to the card and explore different dx8 features in the card and stuff, and since DX8 is suppose to be a standard thing I'll see how things on the GF3 compare to those same things on the Radeon 8500.

So I think it'll be a pretty good article, it's prolly about a Month and a half away before it will be out.

Qwijib0
10-24-01, 06:10 PM
Can't wait.... I hope ATi does get the driver problems straightened out soon.... I want that card, but I'm not spending $250 on a driverless wonder-to-be.

RoundEye
10-24-01, 06:41 PM
I'm sending mine back. It's the OEM version and I didn't even think about the lower clock rate when I bought it. I can't run 3D Mark without artifacts, and the Radeon demo won't run.

I may get a retail version once I feel the drivers have matured.

I'll stick with my Radeon 64 VIVO for a little while longer. Too bad, because the graphics in games are way better then the Radeon.

It's up for sale, $200 + shipping, and I'm not jokeing either.

YARDofSTUF
10-24-01, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Qwijib0
Can't wait.... I hope ATi does get the driver problems straightened out soon.... I want that card, but I'm not spending $250 on a driverless wonder-to-be.

amen, looking at that nice 8500DV myself though :D i need the goodies

Gaming-Module
10-24-01, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by RoundEye
I'm sending mine back. It's the OEM version and I didn't even think about the lower clock rate when I bought it. I can't run 3D Mark without artifacts, and the Radeon demo won't run.

I may get a retail version once I feel the drivers have matured.

I'll stick with my Radeon 64 VIVO for a little while longer. Too bad, because the graphics in games are way better then the Radeon.

It's up for sale, $200 + shipping, and I'm not jokeing either.

And that's where ATI has really screwed up.

There are thousands of people just like you, in the exact same position. The problem for ATI being the fact that half of these people are going to go Nvidia and half the people that do go Nvidia have probably been turned off to ATI for good.

I know I will never touch an ATI product if they screw this one up totally. Why would I throw my money away like that?

terrancelam
10-24-01, 07:18 PM
well let just hope you ordered the retail version.

Gaming-Module
10-24-01, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
well let just hope you ordered the retail version.

No kidding. If that box comes OEM I wont even install it. I'm just gonna send it right back.

colour
10-24-01, 08:38 PM
the DV is so freaking expensive...

MartialArtist12
10-24-01, 11:09 PM
There are places that sell the DV for $299. Only $99 more than the regular Radeon 8500. I'm happily using my Radeon 8500, the graphics are awesome, the speed is great. Drivers need some work as I see some problems with Quake 3.