PDA

View Full Version : network cards ?

Mark
10-24-01, 04:20 PM
a friend at work is getting roadrunner cable and they do not supply the cards any more so what is the best card out there.

i think i heard 3-com, and intel.

:)

smaier69
10-24-01, 04:58 PM
you are correct. 3Com and Intel are choice NICs.

Mark
10-24-01, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by smaier69
you are correct. 3Com and Intel are choice NICs.

thnx bros.

aagiants
10-24-01, 06:50 PM
i had those b4, now i use dlink. I saw basically no diffrence, if u jusr running cable, but i heard there is a diff under LANs, other then that, i saw no diff in speed in cable

HongKongPolice
10-24-01, 08:50 PM
Get 3Com over Intel cuz they've got lifetime warrenties

Storm90
10-24-01, 09:57 PM
Where do you live that RR dose not supplie the cards anymore. I know here In Canton, Ohio TimeWarner RoadRunner still dose. Just wandering!;)

RoundEye
10-24-01, 10:36 PM
I've had good luck with Linksys cards. Not the quailty of the 3com, but I've benchmarked them both on my small home LAN and seen no better speed from the 3Com over the Linksys.

Most of the time you can get one for $15-$20.

I'm able to get my FSB a little higher with the Linksys too, if you are into overclocking.

I also benchmarked the D-Link DFE-530TX that my ISP gave me and the results were terrible, even my downloads were slower by about 1Meg, almost half my speed down!

Qwijib0
10-24-01, 10:42 PM
I've had issues with anything but 3com or intel cards. For genero-pc use, then go with the $20 card. All of 'em are realtek-based. A realtek card is basically the NIC version of a Winmodem (kinda like a winnic...). All the processing is done by the CPU, reducing the overall performance of your system. I've also noticed that the realteks don't like an overclocked PCI bus, but the 3com or Intels don't mind it. This last fact is important for Intel overclockers, who adjust the FSB.

TEH WIN
10-24-01, 11:19 PM
generic 7 dollar card works for me

Qwijib0
10-24-01, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by mmc128
generic 7 dollar card works for me

Yeah, I also have a 486 that works... point? :p

HongKongPolice
10-25-01, 12:43 AM
NICs are almost all the same in terms of speed, but only 3Com gives lifetime warrenty.

Also, remember those 56k "winmodems"? That relies on software to do some of the processing? Guess what, there are "winmodem" NICs too.

The best way you can tell is if your PC light on your cable modem doesn't turn on until the NIC's drivers get loaded, then for sure its a software based NIC, but I have a 3Com HomeConnect NIC (Looks IDENTICAL to the 905B but uses different drivers) that seems to be software based too... So watch out, software based NICs will use up more CPU time

syncmaster
10-25-01, 02:37 AM
Bump !! what are you saying people ??

That REALTEK RTL8139C is software NIC ??

No way, i do not believe this .

Show me specs and tech pappers to believe it .

HongKongPolice
10-25-01, 07:20 AM
I don't care what you believe, i never liked your ****y a$$ anyways.

Mark
10-25-01, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Storm90
Where do you live that RR dose not supplie the cards anymore. I know here In Canton, Ohio TimeWarner RoadRunner still dose. Just wandering!;)

this is not for me but for a freind at work and he lives in port richey fla.

that is what they told him.

Prey521
10-25-01, 03:21 PM
Didn't know that one TigerUpperCut, thanx. And I still you from the time when you posted WBXTune!!! Been usin it ever since, it's awesome!!

Prey521
10-25-01, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Storm90

They don't supply NIC's here in NYC either, why should they when they give you USB modems now. The only way they'll supply the NIC is if you don't have a USB port, and even then, they'll charge you for the NIC, bastards.

Forgetful
10-25-01, 03:37 PM
I might appear foolish for asking this, my kids say i'm always finding new ways to embarrass them, but if the Realtek RTL8139 is a wincard why does it work with my Linux Mandrake 8.1?

syncmaster
10-25-01, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Forgetful
I might appear foolish for asking this, my kids say i'm always finding new ways to embarrass them, but if the Realtek RTL8139 is a wincard why does it work with my Linux Mandrake 8.1?

hahahahaaaaaaaaa ...

Relax man , there is no software NICs .

I am a Pro tech 33 years old , part of my work is network installations , for stock quote offices that they receive by satelite the Data , and by one NT based server , we create room for extra users .

Most about the story of Software NICs ,is just smoke with out fire .

I have use so many brands of NICs and models ,and i never ever have see something like that .

I use two NICS with Realtek RTL 8139C and there is nothing mysterius on how they work .
In my case i was using one simple crossover cable ,and now i have order one nice 8 Ports switsing hub , with target the full bandwith of the cards ..

syncmaster
10-25-01, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by TigerUpperCut
I don't care what you believe, i never liked your ****y a$$ anyways.

I will be over your back ,and i will kick your litle sorry ass! , in all the SG forums .

Hey people just see the SG id of this litle monkey .

Homepage: http://www.homegettinga*******.com
ICQ Number:
AOL Instant Messenger Handle:
Yahoo Instant Messenger Handle:
Birthday N/A
Biography
Occupation Hacker
Location I...... AM.......... CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interests Chix 'n Cars 'n GameZ

Internet Connection Type OC-192
OS & System Specs QD-DOS
.................................................................................................... ....

How seriusly you can think that we all we will take you ...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

RoundEye
10-25-01, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by syncmaster
......and now i have order one nice 8 Ports switsing hub , with target the full bandwith of the cards.......

Not to burst your bubble, but you won't get full bandwidth with a hub, you need a switch to run full duplex. Not a 10/100 switched hub, there is a difference.

I've also seen many compatability problems with NIC cards that have Realtec chipsets.

syncmaster
10-25-01, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by RoundEye

Not to burst your bubble, but you won't get full bandwidth with a hub, you need a switch to run full duplex. Not a 10/100 switched hub, there is a difference.

I've also seen many compatability problems with NIC cards that have Realtec chipsets.

Not to burst your bubble :D

But my HUB does not switch the 10/100 , it is a switch with Hub :D

More info ....
http://www.tweakmax.com/html/ps2208b/ps2208b-1.cfm

Prey521
10-25-01, 07:09 PM

I will be over your back ,and i will kick your litle sorry ass! , in all the SG forums .

Hey people just see the SG id of this litle monkey .

Homepage: http://www.homegettinga*******.com
ICQ Number:
AOL Instant Messenger Handle:
Yahoo Instant Messenger Handle:
Birthday N/A
Biography
Occupation Hacker
Location I...... AM.......... CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interests Chix 'n Cars 'n GameZ

Internet Connection Type OC-192
OS & System Specs QD-DOS
.................................................................................................... ....

How seriusly you can think that we all we will take you ...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hmmmm, this could get ugly!!!!!

syncmaster
10-25-01, 07:12 PM
Yap you sood do something about it ...

Ban me from the forums ...

Brent
10-25-01, 09:21 PM
Yap you sood do something about it ...

Ban me from the forums ...

:rolleyes:

Brent
10-25-01, 09:21 PM
i'm gonna close this now

lets try to discuss these things without the flames

if you want to discuss software nics and not then do so in another thread without the flames