PDA

View Full Version : Display properties help!

BMED
10-23-01, 07:52 PM
Recently I revamped an old Compaq 5070 for my friend, it was originally a Win98 system. I upgraded to WinME and installed extra memory, added a CDRW and updated everything @ MSN.

The problem is when they received the PC it would not go past 16x640x480 display resolution. When I try to set to 32x800x600 it tells me that to check the display adapter setting in the hardware config.....I updated the SIS530 drivers.......NO CHANGE! I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers...NO CHANGE!

I have never seen this before, the monitor that is being will handle these setting per. specifications.???????

I setup this system at home before sending it out and all worked fine, could the monitor be the culprit? Did WinMe screw it up?

I'm about to walk her through a complete factory restore and I hate doing that without ruling out all........PLEASE HELP!

TIA, BMED

PS, Compaq Presario 5070 with 1525 monitor.......Thanks!

Sid
10-23-01, 08:11 PM
Yup I've have seen this before... Whats probably happening is it has multiple monitors in the device manager. Go into safe mode and remove the monitor that he doesn't have.

Brent
10-23-01, 08:17 PM
go into display properties, delete all monitors and delete the adapter as well, have your drivers handy, when it reboots and asks you for the drivers install them then....

BMED
10-23-01, 08:29 PM
Thanks sid & Brent, I haven't tried the "Safe Mode" multiple devices yet! I'll give it a try, too bad she lives 1000 miles away....takes a little longer to provide quick help.

Thanks, BMED

Brent
10-23-01, 08:39 PM
ah long distance tech support, the hardest kind cause you cant physically see it in front of you...

Sid
10-23-01, 08:50 PM
Brent, you and I both know whats going on here. He'll get it fixed.

BTW that 10-10-220 crap really works to cut the phone bill down. I say 10 min max to fix the system(about 50 cents).

BMED
10-23-01, 09:34 PM
Well, $.04 @ 20min.=$.80.....and still no change! I have no frickin idea what the heck is going down. I told her that if we can't solve the problem that we will "RESTORE" all in two days.

The problem with 640x480 has no video abilities worth crap!

Anymore help is appreciated!

Thanks, BMED

Sid
10-23-01, 09:51 PM
BMED, One thing you haven't said is what type of monitor she is using. How are you removing the old videw drivers? This is a driver issue unless they have some antique monitor. Go into device mangler and change the adapter to standard pci graphics adapter. then reboot and blow the monitor and video drivers away. reboot and reinstall the drivers.

System restore sucks for this. Restore the registry by going to run then type scanreg /restore.

One other thing, go into msconfig and turn off *statemgr and pchelth before you do anything. This keeps ME from tring to overwrite the drivers.

BMED
10-23-01, 09:57 PM
Thanks sid, I think I posted above that it is a Compaq Presario 1525 monitor. I'll try the other tip tomorrow, need sleep! :sleep:

I just can't believe this crap! Not now! I will try again after work, thanks for the help!

BMED:sleep:

YeOldeStonecat
10-24-01, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Sid
BMED, One thing you haven't said is what type of monitor she is using. How are you removing the old videw drivers? This is a driver issue unless they have some antique monitor. Go into device mangler and change the adapter to standard pci graphics adapter. then reboot and blow the monitor and video drivers away. reboot and reinstall the drivers.

That should do the trick, we're a Compaq house, I've seen a lot of this on the piece of ****tios presarios.

Matter of fact, that's the rule of thumb for updating drivers on any video card....only proper way to unload all the drivers for a clean over-write.

BMED
10-24-01, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the advise and help everyone. Sid, thanks for the tip about changing the adapter to standard pci graphics adapter, I did this and reinstalled the newest SIS530 drivers for WinME and BAM......it worked. She now has her display back to 800x600, no more browsing left to right on IE.

Thanks again for all of help! SG rules again!:2cool: