PDA

View Full Version : please help me with my USB problems....

msucurt
10-21-01, 12:02 PM
i have tried to install a webcam, and the usb ports in the device manager are showing errors. I have previously had a webcam installed on here and worked fine, but now all of the sudden, new webcam, or anything wont work with my usb. when i connect the webcam to the usb port, it shows power on the webcam with a green light, so it seems it should be ok, but just not showing any pictures. I am absolutely clueless as to what to do. Here is what is says in the device manager:

under usb controllers

USB Root Hub
USB Root HUB
Via Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

then when i install the cam perfectly and all drivers are completely loaded it will say:

Unknown device (!)
USB Root Hub
USB Root HUB

Is there anything i can do to completely fix this? Please help me

thanks

Norm
10-21-01, 12:18 PM
Try removing all those devices above in the device manager, and starting fresh. Reboot, and install your webcam software, that shoud do it.
I had to do the same thing while installing a webcam for a customer, after he tried 10 times. There were too many USB devices in his device manager causing conflicts..

Plug the webcam in once everything is installed.

Easto
10-21-01, 12:53 PM
Make sure your USB options are enabled in your bios. I hardly use USB here so I disable it in the bios to help free up resources. And then when I go and connect my Zip drive I always forget that I've disabled it in the bios and have to go and re-enable it.

msucurt
10-21-01, 02:34 PM
well, i removed all my devices in the device manager....rebooted and reinstalled the webcam and it still wont pick it up, saying in the device manager as "unknown device".....i try and update the driver for it through the device manager , but cant get the driver to install off the cd rom........damn, i am so mad because i cant get this to work......cripes!!!! please someone help me step by step......i dont know what else to try.....

thanks

syncmaster
10-21-01, 05:15 PM
Read my last post in here http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=452604&t=3112#post452604

msucurt
10-22-01, 07:09 AM
syncmaster, believe me, when i got the cam, i installed the software first and rebooted and then plugged my cam in like you are supposed to do , but still not luck. when i plug the cam in the usb port , the light on the cam comes on , so i know the usb is working and i have also had other things installed on these usb ports previously....I tried to delete all my usb's in the device manager...reboot....and install again, but when i install, in the device manager my cam is showing up as an unknown device. I try and "update driver" for it, but when i browse the cd for the driver, it wont load the driver for it for some reason.....i dont know what to do..i hope someone can help me before i toss this computer off my balcony......

THANKS FOR THE HELP FELLAS

syncmaster
10-22-01, 10:36 AM
Oups one moment , hold your horses :D

If you use more USB devices ( More than two any way) , you must have a USB HUB or something .

If your HUB does not use external power sorce , just forget to plug the camera on it .

You must try to plug the camera in one USB plug of your motherboard .

Unplug all the USB devices that you have and make some tests only with the camera .

I will advice you , first to make one reboot with out anything USB on .
Then you will make another one reboot ( By all this the OS will reset the USB configuration and you will have a nice chance to start over the installation of your camera ).