PDA

View Full Version : Help....Overheating

NuclearHeadache
10-20-01, 09:36 PM
I have an Asus A7V133 mobo with an AMD T-Bird 1.2....
When I put this computer together it read my processor at 900mhz for some reason....

The mobo has a 200/266 FSB and the CPU has a 266 FSB.

I have a bay fan (consisting of 3 small fans), a fan attached to my HD, 1 case fan, a small fan and heatsink for my chipset, and a Dragon Orb 3 7000 rpm fan for my CPU.

Running underclocked at 900mhz, the CPu temperature is still 57C and the mobo at 37C.

Why does it run so hot?

And what's a good monitoring program? I'm using Asus Probe at the moment.

YARDofSTUF
10-20-01, 09:47 PM
what is ur heatsink and did u apply thermal paste or use a stick pad on the heatsink to CPU?

drdoug99
10-20-01, 11:27 PM
you have to change your processor manually to 1200mhz....my 1.2ghz, in my Abit motherboard, ran at 900mhz the first time too, if you didnt know before.

I heard, that Asus boards run hot like that for some reason, your HSF, should be more than enough. So I dont know why it's so hot like that.

Your case fans, sound fine. I only have 2, one front intake, and 1 rear exhaust fans....so it's not like 1 fan will make a huge difference for you.

Did you use thermal past like YoS said, and check to see if your Asus board runs hot...which I've heard at other forums.

NuclearHeadache
10-21-01, 01:37 AM
No thermal grease was used. All I did was peel off the paper and installed the fan. The Dragon Orb 3, which you can find here (http://www.thermaltake.com) has a copper heatsink. The bastards wanted $20.00 for thermal grease....

All I know is my computer is so damn loud from all the fans that I have, that I have to sleep in the living room to get some zzzz's when it's on at night. No joke!

I just installed Sisoft Sandra and it reads my CPU temp at 47C idle. But it's underclocked at 900mhz.

It's a jumperless board set to user define in the Bios.

The CPU clock multiplier is set at 9.0 and the CPU frequency is set at 100mhz by default, hence 900mhz .

I've changed the CPU frequency to 133mhz and that's how I got that crazy 61C temp.

Do you think that if I change the CPU clock multiplier insted of the CPU frequency I'll have a cooler CPU?

YARDofSTUF
10-21-01, 01:59 AM
well i've gotten use to the noise, the dragon orb should keep it decently cool, whats ur voltage at?

poptom
10-21-01, 02:02 AM
Take another look at your HS and make certain that it's properly seated and that it's the right way around with the step at the pivot end of the socket.

loop2kil
10-21-01, 07:57 AM
yeah even with ur fsb at 133 u shouldnt be getting those high temps. im @ 43c at full load on my a7v and idle at 39c. i would definately look into how the heatsink is seated up with the ur cpu....that sounds like where the problem falls and get some grease for that baby. she really likes it when she's greased up. also make sure ur voltage isnt too high, i think 1.7v should do just fine ive got mine at 1.55v.

YeOldeStonecat
10-21-01, 08:16 AM
The latest BIOS also increased the accuracy of the temp probes....they didn't record to accurately before. Actually the BIOS released just for the latest one did that...my I-Panel changed to lower readings after that BIOS flash.

YeOldeStonecat
10-21-01, 08:17 AM
The latest BIOS also increased the accuracy of the temp probes....they didn't record to accurately before. Actually the BIOS released just for the latest one did that...my I-Panel changed to lower readings after that BIOS flash.

Damn this forums server is crawling P-A-I-N-F-U-L-L-Y slow lately.

YeOldeStonecat
10-21-01, 08:20 AM

Damn this forums server is crawling P-A-I-N-F-U-L-L-Y slow lately.

And thermal grease....you're heat sink really won't be very effective without it. Don't wanna spend 20 bucks on Arctic? From what I've read, the little 1 oz pink and white tube of "Silicone Heat Sink Compound" from Radio Shack is 90% as effective...part number 10-8109 is what mine says. And from many of the "What's your temps" posts...mine are in the coolest 5% of what I've seen on this forum....using this 3 dollar tube of goop and a golden orb.

Murman
10-21-01, 08:38 AM
I have the A7V-133a w/AMD 1.4 and found the best cooling app called VCool. You can get it here, http://www.naggelgames.de/vcool/VCool.html

get ver 1.7.2 you'll find the reason's why it runs so hot as well.