PDA

View Full Version : Question

NuclearHeadache
10-20-01, 10:23 AM
I just built a new computer and have an Asus A7V-133/No Sound/with Raid mobo installed.
The mobo has four IDE ports for up to eight IDE devices 2 of the ports are ATA 100. When I attach my HD to the primary ATA 100 port my Bios does not read that there is a HD installed but in DOS I can format it!!!!
I've installed the four in one drivers that came with the mobo and still the problem persists.

My HD is a Maxtor DiamondMAx 60gig 7200 RMP ATA 100.

In the Maxtor installation paper it says that I need a special type of cable and not the standard IDE cable that came with my mobo.
Is this true?
And if it is, exactly what kind of cable do I have to ask for at the neighborhood computer store?

Thanks, Nuke....

monkeyhead
10-20-01, 10:40 AM
you can use the cable that came with the mobo, it just may not be an ATA 100 cable where you would get the best performance.

Have you tried plugging the drive into all the slots? Because the first screen of the BIOS may not pick up the hard drive because you may have it plugged into the RAID IDE ports, there should flash a RAID utility showing the hard drive present as one of the second or third boot screens, and thats where your drive shoud be present.

Did you fdisk the drive? Make it Active?

MagicMikey
10-20-01, 10:51 AM
Did you set the jumpers to slave or master?

NuclearHeadache
10-20-01, 10:58 AM
I have only one HD set to Master.
Right now the HD is in the Primary IDE port and the CDROM and BURNER are sharing the secondary IDE port.

I had previously attached the burner and cdrom to the IDE ports on individual cables and the HD to one of the RAID ports and all was fine until a few days ago when all of a sudden it stopped responding.

monkeyhead
10-20-01, 11:57 AM
my next response would of been jumper settings

BMED
10-20-01, 12:04 PM
Did you place the dip switch(JP13,14) on the MB back to "ATA100" from RAID.

Also in your "BIOS" boot menu you may have to set your boot sequence to "ATA100/SCSI".

Does your system even boot? Did you reinstall the OS or just switch from the RAID port back to the ATA100 IDE?

Try detecting the drive in your BIOS, is it set to "AUTO"?

One More thing! Is your "BIOS BOOT Menu" set to "AUTO" for " Load Onboard ATA BIOS"?

NuclearHeadache
10-20-01, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by BMED
Did you place the dip switch(JP13,14) on the MB back to "ATA100" from RAID.

Also in your "BIOS" boot menu you may have to set your boot sequence to "ATA100/SCSI".

Does your system even boot? Did you reinstall the OS or just switch from the RAID port back to the ATA100 IDE?

Try detecting the drive in your BIOS, is it set to "AUTO"?

One More thing! Is your "BIOS BOOT Menu" set to "AUTO" for " Load Onboard ATA BIOS"?

The mobo is set to jumperless/ user define.

My boot sequence is ATA100/SCSI

The system does boot and when the Win 2000 screen is done loading I get a Blue screen of death with an error.

If I'm not mistaken the Raid port is an ATA/100. But I moved the cable from Raid to IDE.

All drives are set to Auto detect.

BMED
10-20-01, 12:33 PM
Well, It seems that your system is looking for the HD on the RAID port you were using before. Try to "Reset Configuration Data" in your 'BIOS SETUP" menu, won't hurt to try!

YARDofSTUF
10-20-01, 03:25 PM
did u install teh raid drivers?

NuclearHeadache
10-20-01, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
did u install teh raid drivers?

LOL...What Raid drivers?

loop2kil
10-21-01, 08:30 AM
i have the regular a7v and had a similar problem at first. when i updated the bios all problems were fixed. go here to get the updated bios for your board.

http://www.asus.com/products/motherboard/bios_socka.html

NuclearHeadache
10-21-01, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by loop2kil
i have the regular a7v and had a similar problem at first. when i updated the bios all problems were fixed. go here to get the updated bios for your board.

http://www.asus.com/products/motherboard/bios_socka.html

I'm gonna try the Bios update.... I hope it works... :(

Thanks

NuclearHeadache
10-21-01, 11:29 AM
BTW how exactly do I install a Bios update?
Nevrmind, I figured it out.
But what's Winflash in the Asus Bios update proggy?

loop2kil
10-21-01, 11:58 AM
its where u can flash the bios from windows. now most people will tell u not to do while in windows, but that is the way ive done it like 4 times with no problems. either way bios upgrades can be dangerous so use caution. the none windows way is to but into pure dos and execute the flash program in dos.

NuclearHeadache
10-21-01, 12:15 PM
I think it worked....
My system now changed my CPU Frequency to 133 automatically and now I'm running at 1200mhz. But my temperature is still 47C. Much better than 61C but still kinda high considering all the freakin fans installed.

loop2kil
10-21-01, 12:24 PM
47c is acceptable though....what do u get after playing a game like q3? and i would uninstall that version of probe and go get a newer version from the same website that u got the bios from. ive heard of people that get +10 degrees difference than their bios was reporting with some bad versions of asusprobe. also install the vcool program it really helps too.

NuclearHeadache
10-21-01, 12:42 PM
V Cool is messed up. It read my CPU at 36C and my system at 45C. Basically it read it backwards.

BMED
10-21-01, 12:42 PM
Go Here (http://www.naggelgames.de/vcool/VCool.html) and download "VCool".

I have the same MB, VCool dropped my idle temp from 46c to 36c, 46c under full load.

Try VCool, it's worth it!

BMED
10-21-01, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by NuclearHeadache
V Cool is messed up. It read my CPU at 36C and my system at 45C. Basically it read it backwards.

You have no luck with PC's at all. Maybe you should get a Gateway with extra tech support contract.

I have the same MB as you and have never had so many problems setting up my system. You may want to reconsider a more user friendly system for your skill level.

Good Luck, BMED out!

NuclearHeadache
10-21-01, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by BMED
You may want to reconsider a more user friendly system for your skill level.

LOL