PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to jump the L1 bridges to overclock an AMD 1800?

RoundEye
10-19-01, 07:35 PM
I have a KG7 mobo, so I can change the multiplier in the bios.

Do I need to jump those tiny ass L1 bridges on the new 1800?

Zmoney
10-19-01, 08:00 PM
thats gonna be a problem...see the new athlonXP's have a lazer cannal dug in..you have to fill it with somethin...go to tomshardware.com they have a articel somewhere

RoundEye
10-19-01, 08:46 PM
Never mind, I found a link. Looks rough, but I'm going to give it a shot.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips693/

colour
10-19-01, 09:05 PM
you know, i dont think they carry defogger paint anywhere on the island. theyd have to special order it...

RoundEye
10-19-01, 09:19 PM
I had to take a break, and give my eyes a rest, those bridges are way freaking small.

I have the super glue part (from the link above) done so far.

I remembered that I have a 40x to 1600x microscope, so I'm able to check each step in great detail.

I also have one of those silver trace "ink pins" that I'm using instead of defogger paint.

Let me tell you, it's a b!tch.............

colour
10-19-01, 09:24 PM
yeah i have a conductive pen, it comes out clear and the nib is rather big.

brembo
10-19-01, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by RoundEye
I had to take a break, and give my eyes a rest, those bridges are way freaking small.

I have the super glue part (from the link above) done so far.

I remembered that I have a 40x to 1600x microscope, so I'm able to check each step in great detail.

I also have one of those silver trace "ink pins" that I'm using instead of defogger paint.

Let me tell you, it's a b!tch.............

Damn, you guys are serious about o/cing. This sounds dangerous. When an operation requires a microscope, ya know yer not screwin around.

Jesse23
10-19-01, 11:16 PM
should just get a trace kit

MagicMikey
10-19-01, 11:21 PM
I wish you luck with your project! much respect goes to you.. ;)

RoundEye
10-20-01, 12:16 AM
Well, it didn't work.

The computer won't even boot now. I even cleaned all of the glue and stuff off of the processor.

m4a2t0t
10-20-01, 12:39 AM
roundeye do u have a frys electronics there?they sell conductive pens,it kinda blobs if ur not careful but u can use masking tape to block of the adjacent bridges.

they also sell thid dope a$$ magnafying glass/light it was only like 15 bucks,works good just used to do the voltage mod on myboard.

colour
10-20-01, 02:37 AM
dude you can get conductive pens at just about any electronics store.

YARDofSTUF
10-20-01, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by brembo

Damn, you guys are serious about o/cing. This sounds dangerous. When an operation requires a microscope, ya know yer not screwin around.

just wait till we start making laser incisions lol

YeOldeStonecat
10-20-01, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF

just wait till we start making laser incisions lol

LOL:rotfl:

terrancelam
10-20-01, 01:41 PM
Matt was hardcore... ahhh you guys, I can see it now, lighting striking in the background as you call forth "Eigore" to hit the power switch and bring forth your slumbering, but yet freakishly powerful computer beast!

RoundEye
10-20-01, 02:35 PM
Well I found out why it wouldn't boot, the heat sink was not perfectly flat and the temp shot up to 176 F.

The weird part is, now the light on my dvd player stays on and the comp won't boot with it plugged in.

I was up till four in the morning d!cking with this thing.

Young Frankenstein didn't pull through..............

Wasted 200 dollars on a processor and may have killed my dvd player in the process.

I'm not going to try and bridge the next one I buy.

All I can do at this point is sit back and laugh at my dumb ass. :rotfl:

YARDofSTUF
10-20-01, 03:28 PM
its good that u can laugh cuz i'd be very pissed at myself

RoundEye
10-20-01, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
its good that u can laugh cuz i'd be very pissed at myself

Oh, believe I was pissed at 4 o'clock this morning whan I went to sleep. But I get over things pretty quick.

Live and learn, and I just paid my tuition. :D

fjt2000
10-21-01, 02:27 AM
for the ocing, where i can fine the conductive pen?

m4a2t0t
10-21-01, 02:31 AM
fry's electronics or radio shack probably would have it

RoundEye
10-21-01, 12:54 PM
I'm just going to buy another AMD XP next month. I still have a 1.3 as backup and it's at about 1.5 now.

Most likely can't RMA the DVD player because I painted the front black and changed the LED in it.

But, my wife needs a DVD player in her computer, to go with my old Radeon, so I'm just goin to buy a new one and swap the insides out, and RMA the "new" one. :D

NuclearHeadache
10-21-01, 01:53 PM
Looks like an expensive hobby.

m4a2t0t
10-21-01, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by NuclearHeadache
Looks like an expensive hobby.

very:D

el bob
10-21-01, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by RoundEye
Well I found out why it wouldn't boot, the heat sink was not perfectly flat and the temp shot up to 176 F.

The weird part is, now the light on my dvd player stays on and the comp won't boot with it plugged in.

I was up till four in the morning d!cking with this thing.

Young Frankenstein didn't pull through..............

Wasted 200 dollars on a processor and may have killed my dvd player in the process.

I'm not going to try and bridge the next one I buy.

All I can do at this point is sit back and laugh at my dumb ass. :rotfl:

sorry to hear about that

i still can't resist it though

i'll definitely be going for it

Nitrogen Ace
10-22-01, 01:00 PM
Well, it didn't work.

The computer won't even boot now. I even cleaned all of the glue and stuff off of the processor.

Are u serious??? Those chips only just came out .....some people are too rich for their own good. :cry:

RoundEye
10-22-01, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Nitrogen Ace

Are u serious??? Those chips only just came out .....some people are too rich for their own good. :cry:

I'm far from rich, I'm just a techno junkie. Hell, I just drove about 1100 miles just for a chance to win a XP and a mobo. :D

http://www.xppcentral.com/xpp/home.asp