PDA

View Full Version : Important decision! Please answer quick!

EvilAjax
10-18-01, 06:28 PM
Ok I know this belongs in the Hardware forum but they take too long to respond and I need an answer now.

I'm going to buy a Geforce 2 MX400 64MB PCI Bus for $108.41

Is that a good price or is it a rip off? Tell me because they're gonna close soon.

Thanks.

Joe
10-18-01, 06:29 PM
rip off.. those cards are like 60$ US

also.. PCI!!! WTF?

ColdFusion
10-18-01, 06:29 PM
Ripoff

dreww71
10-18-01, 06:31 PM
If that is in US dollars, that price sucks. And why would you want pci bus.

EvilAjax
10-18-01, 06:32 PM
Damn.. thanks.. LOL

I was about to get RIPPED! LOL

Damn... I haven't seen any computer stores that sell PCI Video Cards.. just this one.. and it's a gaming store (Electronic Boutique)

I don't like to shop on the internet, even though things are very cheap... Damn.. Guess I'm gonna have to keep on looking. Thanks guys!

BTW, I live in NYC, you know things are a little pricey here. LOL

EvilAjax
10-18-01, 06:33 PM
My board doesn't have any AGP Slots..

Guess how much a GeForce 3 64MB costs in that store?

Like $300! Or more! I forgot! Jesus Christ!

EvilAngel
10-18-01, 06:33 PM
I picked up the GF2 GTS AGP 32mb for 120 and it works great... PCI is the underacheiver

terrancelam
10-18-01, 06:34 PM
even for EB, that's a rip off price. I wouldn't buy anything from them unless they were the only place in town that sold it and I was deperately needing that piece of comp stuff/game/console system and would sell my soul to the devil for it.

ace
10-18-01, 06:42 PM
same card at best buy for 100.00

also pci.

EvilAjax
10-18-01, 06:46 PM
There's less performance from a PCI bus card?

They should make a PCI extension thingie which has a AGP thingie.. so like if your board doesn't have AGP slots, you can use the PCI to AGP thing, and use it. That would be cool... too bad people are dumb and can't invent it! :D LOL

They should also do that with RAM slots... Like boards with 2 RAM slots, there should be something called a RAM splitter which instead of ONE RAM chip... it takes 3.. or something.. LOL

I know none of that is possible, but it would be cool.

The Devil
10-18-01, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
even for EB, that's a rip off price. I wouldn't buy anything from them unless they were the only place in town that sold it and I was deperately needing that piece of comp stuff/game/console system and would sell my soul to the devil for it.

Noted. :D

TD

Brent
10-18-01, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by EvilAjax
There's less performance from a PCI bus card?

They should make a PCI extension thingie which has a AGP thingie.. so like if your board doesn't have AGP slots, you can use the PCI to AGP thing, and use it. That would be cool... too bad people are dumb and can't invent it! :D LOL

They should also do that with RAM slots... Like boards with 2 RAM slots, there should be something called a RAM splitter which instead of ONE RAM chip... it takes 3.. or something.. LOL

I know none of that is possible, but it would be cool.

THere are are ram expanders, they were widly used on old 72pin simms, simm expanders and stuff... not commmon now with DIMMs cause there are typically enough slots and stuff

as for the AGP expander idea, it could never work, the AGP is not just a new slot, it's a whole kind of new BUS, it has direct talkings to to the cpu, chipset, and RAM, whereas the PCI bus has to go through the Southbridge, they are totally talking to different components and speeds, the AGP bus runs at 66Mhz (133 in 2X) the PCI bus at 33Mhz, they are totallly not compatible

EvilAjax
10-18-01, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Brent

THere are are ram expanders, they were widly used on old 72pin simms, simm expanders and stuff... not commmon now with DIMMs cause there are typically enough slots and stuff

as for the AGP expander idea, it could never work, the AGP is not just a new slot, it's a whole kind of new BUS, it has direct talkings to to the cpu, chipset, and RAM, whereas the PCI bus has to go through the Southbridge, they are totally talking to different components and speeds, the AGP bus runs at 66Mhz (133 in 2X) the PCI bus at 33Mhz, they are totallly not compatible Cool, thanks

EvilAjax
10-23-01, 12:38 AM
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/36674;f50b4920d301a8d6a580a769ac3620e0/AGP.jpg
AGP Bus?!?!
Just installed new detonator drivers... v 21.83.. And found out that my ONBOARD video card is on a AGP slot?! How? I have NO AGP Slots... WTF is going on??

poptom
10-23-01, 01:14 AM
It means you don't have to buy a card since the AGP video is built-in.