PDA

View Full Version : out with the old and in with the 1.4 ghrz p4

Randy
10-17-01, 10:35 PM
new Asus mobo and1.4grhz should be here by friday. cant wait!
I also got a 300wt pwr supply coming. i hope it all goes smooth im gonna throw in my 126mb sdram in cant afford rambus ram yet

buh bye crappy ole p2 266

Immortal
10-17-01, 10:35 PM
good for u!
I myself can't wait till I get a new comp... man... these things sure goes fast..

Brent
10-17-01, 10:36 PM
kick ass!

getting new hardware is always fun, I love the smell of new hardware, gives me a good feeling inside.....

it's fun building new systems and configuring them and stuff

though a 1.4 Pentium 4 with SDRAM would not have been my first choice, I'm sure thouhg it's still a lot faster then what you had before, and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it :)

Randy
10-17-01, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Brent
kick ass!

though a 1.4 Pentium 4 with SDRAM would not have been my first choice, :)

what would b your first choice?? amd ?
btw i am going to get 256 mb rambus in my stocking <(iapologize for speaking of christmas b4 halloween )

Brent
10-17-01, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Randy

what would b your first choice?? amd ?
btw i am going to get 256 mb rambus in my stocking <(iapologize for speaking of christmas b4 halloween )

HEHEHE Is santa bringing you some rambus ;)

well the reason why I said that is 2 reasons, first SDRAM is bottlenecking the P4 by a LOT, In fact even RDRAM isn't the best for the P4, DDR is a better platform, may not have as much bandwidth as the RDRAM (b ut it's close) but it has much lower latencies which makes it faster....

second a 1.4Ghz P4 is the lowest clocked p4, and that low of a clocked p4 is pretty slow when compared to other cpu's, remember MHz dont mean everything, the P4 is just now starting to show what it's m ade of at the 2Ghz mark and above...

though what you are getting is LIGHTYEARS ahead of what you have, do keep in mind it's on the low end out of what's out there

If it was me I woul dhave gotten an AMD, a 1.4Ghz Athlon is equal in performance to a 1.8Ghz P4 and in some scores beats a 2Ghz P4, so with the cheap price of an AMD cpu and the good price of DDR a T-bird/DDR system is at an awesome place in the market right now for people looking for performance, but don't want to spend much....

Gaming-Module
10-17-01, 11:07 PM
I love the smell of new hardware, gives me a good feeling inside.....

That's called a boner...

Randy
10-17-01, 11:18 PM
so Brent do you think i should ask santa for ddr ram? how does ddr work with the mobo ? does it just snap in like sdram sticks? or do i need a dif type of mobo?

btw i thought that ddr ram was better too for gameing
thanks randy

mods go ahed and bump this thread to hardware :p

TEH WIN
10-17-01, 11:19 PM
brents gettin wood over computer parts? lol

Brent
10-18-01, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Randy
so Brent do you think i should ask santa for ddr ram? how does ddr work with the mobo ? does it just snap in like sdram sticks? or do i need a dif type of mobo?

btw i thought that ddr ram was better too for gameing
thanks randy

mods go ahed and bump this thread to hardware :p

the Mobo has to support it

In fact the mobo your putting your P4 on are you SURE that it supports SDRAM or RDRAM?

you can only put on your motherboard what memory type it supports, memory type is a function of the Northbridge chipset on motherboards....

BaLa
10-18-01, 01:20 AM
what mobo you get?

Randy
10-18-01, 01:52 PM
just got a call from the guy i am ordering this from and now he says sdram only for the intel 850 mobo :( ... so i need some help here , I talked to him about an amd with ddr and he says there is a concern with athlons ( no heat sink er sumin?7 seconds to shut it down or you may fry it ?)
also he was saying that the intel 850 mobo is garbage? and it has had alot of prblems with p4

any help on what i should do would be apreciated? i need a new mobo and chip

HongKongPolice
10-18-01, 03:37 PM
Dude P4 sux ass enough as it is with RDRAM, it'll be like a 486 with SDRAM... Why waste money on a P4??? AMD is cheaper and faster

Brent
10-18-01, 09:15 PM
go with the AMD / DDR platform, just make sure you got a good heatsink and fan on there with some goo and all is groovy

Randy
10-18-01, 09:57 PM
ok brent thanks :)
Btw what is a good heat sink?

BaLa
10-18-01, 10:28 PM
really if you don't plan on O/C just get a boxed proc.

But the OCZ Gladiator Copper is pretty good.
or the THermalright SK6..
Brent can prolly give u a better answer on good hsf's though...