PDA

View Full Version : It's Finally Here: Anand's Final Radeon 8500 Review

Brent
10-17-01, 10:56 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1544

Ghosthunter
10-17-01, 12:42 PM
Interesteing article.

I was never fond of ATI products as it was, so even if it was outbeating the gf3 TI 500 by a bit I am still going to purchase the GF3 Ti 500 as soon as it comes out...

Pretty bad that in some test it was on par with GF 2..

Thanks this definitely convinced me Nvidia is still the way to go.

Prey521
10-17-01, 01:58 PM
When Nvidia's DVD, TV Tuner and Video Out playback becomes as good if not better than ATI's, then I'll go with Nvidia, till then, I'm stickin with ATI :)

HongKongPolice
10-17-01, 02:42 PM
Eww, the benchs seem even worse than the ones @ toms, and they used the "preformance" drivers too.

Ghosthunter
10-17-01, 03:10 PM
Luckily I dont have to worry about any of the DVD and play stuff, since I only use my PC for games that is it..All the other video and DVD I wathc on my dvd entertainment center

MousePotato
10-17-01, 03:22 PM
Take Anand's reveiw with a grain of salt so to speak....his all and mighty P4 2 gigger is no match for an serious AMD built system, but he never even compares that now does he, hell my AMD T-Bird with a Radeon 64mb DDR ViVo beats some of those bench marks of his review, ...and if he ever gets his head out of intel's and nvidia ass long enough to see that, then i'll start taking his reviews more seriously.
The drivers for the 8500 seem to be optimized for MMX and 3DNow , but since Anand already knows this and being pro intel/nvidia he'll never setup a system with a new AMD XP1800 and a Radeon 8500 to run on, because his review would be blown all to hell by it.

YARDofSTUF
10-17-01, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by MousePotato
Take Anand's reveiw with a grain of salt so to speak....his all and mighty P4 2 gigger is no match for an serious AMD built system, but he never even compares that now does he, hell my AMD T-Bird with a Radeon 64mb DDR ViVo beats some of those bench marks of his review, ...and if he ever gets his head out of intel's and nvidia ass long enough to see that, then i'll start taking his reviews more seriously.
The drivers for the 8500 seem to be optimized for MMX and 3DNow , but since Anand already knows this and being pro intel/nvidia he'll never setup a system with a new AMD XP1800 and a Radeon 8500 to run on, because his review would be blown all to hell by it.

anand does very good reviews, the majority of the market is intel still so most ppl would be getting those results, and a geforce 3 works great on both amd and intel systems, so should ATi's card, he didnt bash teh card, and i think its pretty sweet, gotta see how those drivers work out.

MartialArtist12
10-17-01, 07:22 PM
Does he even quote the image quality or anything else? :rolleyes:

Ghosthunter
10-17-01, 07:45 PM
Also take a look at Toms Hardware...that is 2 sites, that show the same results.

Why do people get so upset if the review is bad?

If a review came out how bad gf is, I wouldnt be upset, at the reveiw but at Nvidia.

No one ever blames the company like ATI for lousy driver support.

MousePotato
10-17-01, 08:22 PM
anand does very good reviews, the majority of the market is intel still so most ppl would be getting those results, and a geforce 3 works great on both amd and intel systems, so should ATi's card, he didnt bash teh card, and i think its pretty sweet, gotta see how those drivers work out.

Rhino Poo !

Brent
10-17-01, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by MousePotato

actually in most of his video card reviews Anand is always looking for a card to BEAT nvidia's stuff, it just happens though that's not the case with ATI :(

Anand is one of the most trustworthy and truthfull people I know in the reviewing world, i've known him since he started his site in 1997 way back when it was just a little thing on Geocities with a K6 review.....

The one who is biased is Tom

colour
10-17-01, 10:09 PM
*sigh*

so when does the kryo3 come out?

A_old
10-17-01, 11:10 PM
heh kyro 3? LOL nice, the drivers will be a pile of dung. If only 2/3 of nVidia's driver team would quit, 1/3 to ST Micro, other 1/3 to ATI, THEN we'd have some competition and maybe you'd see GOOD cards on the market...other than by nVidia, ATI cards have such unreleased potential. It's BS it can't be taken advantage of.. till the price of the GF3 drops, I'll stick to my matrox g400 Dualhead w/ 32 MB SGram and sucky 3d performance, but man the tvout is sweet :)

Amro

Ghosthunter
10-18-01, 07:13 AM
Acutally I am not defending Toms Hardwar site per se, but I dont think he is as bias, in fact he was one of the first to actually start criticising Intel, and showed the good results with AMD. Also I rememember when the GF3 came out, he didnt say it was card you have to have, only if you were running much older cards and were thinking of upgrade, but he was a bit dissapointed with the performance of the GF3 for what he thought it should have been.

YeOldeStonecat
10-18-01, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by davy19
Luckily I dont have to worry about any of the DVD and play stuff, since I only use my PC for games that is it..All the other video and DVD I wathc on my dvd entertainment center

Roger that....I never care jack squat about DVD and video on a computer...dunno what the big deal is about.

Lessee....should I watch the movie on my computer, even though I have a 19", comfy captians chair, and 5 speaker surround? Or should I watch a movie in my TV room...with a big screen TV, table for beer and food, and huge comfy couch to sprawl out on with a babe.

Tough decision....nah..not really...couch wins!