PDA

View Full Version : What happened here???

Mr White
10-16-01, 05:08 PM
Ive never overclocked before so i thought id try to set my cpu,Amd 1.4 @1.5 10*150fsb. When i tried to reboot with that setting my damn windows wouldnt even load up and then got screwed up and i had to reinstall windows again,wtf happened here?

Amd 1.4 266
abit kG7 ddr

jesburger
10-16-01, 05:40 PM
lol
go slower next time
and make sure youve got proper cooling

BroncoSport
10-16-01, 06:16 PM
Your ram is most likely the culprit of the "no boot". A 1.4 T-Bird will do 1.5 fine, but you have to make sure that the CPU voltage is high enough and that your Ram is able to go up to 150 FSB. You'll have to experiment to find the happy medium or core voltage, multiplier (your t-bird is unlocked right?) and FSB settings.

I fine it really hard to believe that your Windows installation was screw up from over clocking but????

onetrueday
10-16-01, 06:39 PM
Plus, without adding cooling; most ram will not reach 150.

Mr White
10-16-01, 06:43 PM
Ok i thought i was going slow.. all i did was change it to what another person did in here with the same set up. I didnt know what i was doing really but i dont know if my cpu is unlocked? how do you know? i have 256ddr. Im wanting to know how i can try this again. how much should my fsb be set at? And what voltage should it be at,when i tried this 1500mhz it was at default levels. And yes my windows was messed up ,when i tried booting it went to blue/green screen and froze and then my files were corrupted.. somehow it happened.

Mr White
10-16-01, 06:47 PM
Ok it must have been the ram that caused it if 150fsb is too high. I have no added cooling right now. Again is there a safe setting with what i have for now?

monkeyhead
10-16-01, 06:53 PM
if you dont know what your doing, dont bother, you wont see much of a result.

onetrueday
10-16-01, 06:53 PM
If you set your FSB to 150, that would mean your DDR ram was trying to run at 300. I dont have ANY experience with ddr ram, but I thought it ran at your cpu bus speed. That would be double your FSB or 2x. So, if you set your FSB(which runs at 133 on your tb 1.4 setup) to 150; you were pushing your computer way too fast without proper cooling.

Mr White
10-16-01, 07:02 PM
Ya i dont think ill bother with it.
Just wondering if you guys could tell me if this is normal..when i start up programs or open even my computer i get louder noices in the machine like the fans are going faster but when its idle its less loud. I only have 300watt box is that normal?

BaLa
10-16-01, 07:19 PM
lol

I don't quite understand what caused you to have to reinstall windows?

Cause if all you got was a windows protection error, then setting the FSB Bus Speed, and Multi back to normal will fix it..

Mr White
10-16-01, 07:27 PM
Ya i thought that would too but it didnt ,something else happened.
I want to know if 300watts is enough to run 1.4 t-bird cause that is what im using and also what shoud the voltage be for 1.4?

BaLa
10-16-01, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Mr White
Ya i thought that would too but it didnt ,something else happened.
I want to know if 300watts is enough to run 1.4 t-bird cause that is what im using and also what shoud the voltage be for 1.4?
It should be enough...depends on what else you're running in that box..
voltage? I dunno..
mine automatically set the voltage..

Mr White
10-16-01, 07:37 PM
Yes it has to be enough cuz im running it now..Mine is set auto too so i guess thats fine..Is it normal to hear more fan noise when doing any little thing? My cpu temp is 50c?

BaLa
10-16-01, 09:09 PM
is quite warm..what HSF you got on there?

poptom
10-16-01, 09:35 PM
AMD says max die temp is 95C for this proc.

http://www2.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf

AMDTBurnt
10-16-01, 09:45 PM
umm, My processor a 1.4 @ 1.564 GHz, is 52 C, so happy OCing as for voltage set it as high as you can, up to 2.2 V, my motherboard only supports up to 1.85V as do most other motherboards. Anything higher than 2.2 V most likely won't give any additional OCing results. As for FSB, I'd leave it alone UNTIL you have pushed your processor to the limits. then back it down .5x multiplier and start OCing your FSB, 2 MHz at a time. Be sure to run an hour of something thats stresses the whole system after every up of the FSB and/or processor.

Mr White
10-16-01, 11:01 PM
As for my HSF ill have to check that again but its nothing amazing i dont think. Thanks for the info burnt,ill try some of that out. What other types of cooling would you recomend i should have?

BaLa
10-16-01, 11:38 PM
Thermalright SK6 is pretty good I believe..
I have an OCZ Gladiator Copper w/7k RPM fan
it's usually running btw 42C-48C..full load

I need to get some Artic Silver..
I'm using Cheap Radio Shack Thermal Paste right now..

drdoug99
10-16-01, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by BaLa
Thermalright SK6 is pretty good I believe..
I have an OCZ Gladiator Copper w/7k RPM fan
it's usually running btw 42C-48C..full load

I need to get some Artic Silver..
I'm using Cheap Radio Shack Thermal Paste right now..

I second the OCZ Gladiator, only $16.99 with the 7k Delta fan too.

I'm running at 25C idle, 35C full load

BaLa
10-17-01, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by drdoug99

I second the OCZ Gladiator, only $16.99 with the 7k Delta fan too.

damn good temps...
what Heatsink paste you got?
do you have a Copper Shim on the proc
what mobo?

poptom
10-17-01, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by drdoug99
This suggests that the thermocouple may be mispositioned.

AMDTBurnt
10-17-01, 05:02 PM
Guys, the thermocouple is touching the bottom of the CPU, AMD says that the max temperature for the processor die is 95 C so I am well within the limits. As for thermal solution, if you want the ultimate cooling solution, and you don't care about the noise, go for the SK6, however, a good compromise between noise and performance is the Taisol 760092, which is the current HSF I am using. If you decide you need better performance later you can buy a 60mm Delta and replace the stock fan with it.
The cooler can be found at:

http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/duron.shtml
8th item down for 35.95

The Delta fan can be found at:
http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/medfans.shtml
2nd item down for $18395

AMDTBurnt
10-17-01, 05:03 PM
BTW, guys, got coppershim on core and AS II, I even went as far as to put AS II on both sides of the shim itself.

AMDTBurnt
10-17-01, 05:07 PM
My old HSF, the WBK38 with the infamous noisy Delta, did 72 C, so the Taisol 760092 is actually quite good.

smaier69
10-17-01, 05:09 PM
BTW guys, it is possible to corrupt things such as the registry by overclocking too much. i have never had it totally hose a Windows install, but i have had it render certain things un-runnable. even when everything has been returned to default (frequencies and such).

RoundEye
10-17-01, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by smaier69
BTW guys, it is possible to corrupt things such as the registry by overclocking too much. i have never had it totally hose a Windows install, but i have had it render certain things un-runnable. even when everything has been returned to default (frequencies and such).

I've had it fubar the Windows install twice since I've started trying to overclock my Abit KG7 Raid.

Mr White
10-17-01, 07:41 PM
Atleast im not the only one that had this problem. My registry was shot and corrupted ,safe mode wouldnt work,nothing did so i had no other option. Luckly i had nothing on my drive that i didnt burn on a cd the day before,thank god. Mine is running 50c last time i checked,40c system.