PDA

View Full Version : New Motherboard and Processor...Which One Should I Get?

ChuckDees
10-16-01, 03:00 PM
If some of you haven't viewed my post about upgrading my PIII processor it was made clear to me that I need to upgrade my CPU and motherboard.

I have been an avid Intel user for the past 11 years so I am more prone to keeping with their P4 line.

But I have also heard some great things about AMDs.

I am a avid game player and surf the web a lot. And I also run applications like Office, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Flash 5 from time to time.

So I would like to get some opinions on which company I should go with? I hear AMD is coming out with something codename Hammer. If I were to go with AMD should I wait for this. And if I go with AMD what type of RAM should I use DDR or SDRAM.

If I go with the P4 should I get the RDRAM or SDRAM motherboard

What would be a good speed to get for these processors. I'm not looking at spending a whole lot of money. Maybee 500 bucks for the motherboard, ram, and CPU.

Thanks

Gaming-Module
10-16-01, 03:02 PM
If AMD, go Athlon XP 1800+ with DDR.

If P4, go P4 2ghz with RDRAM.

If you wish to go Intel, I would wait a tad for Northwood.

ChuckDees
10-16-01, 03:08 PM
I don't want to spend a whole lot of money. Besides I could just buy one from my work.

By the way what makes the Atlon XP better than The Thunderbids?

I was thinking 1.5 or 1.6 gig of either and then upgrading down the road when the prices for the lastest and greatest do down.

ChuckDees
10-16-01, 03:09 PM
Also do you think I should buy a new power supply to regulate my new hardware? I currently have a 200 watt power supply.

CBurcik
10-16-01, 03:20 PM
You need at least a 350W power supply in my opinion.

I just purchased the Abit KG7 motherboard, 1.4 Ghz Thunderbird processor and 512 DDR Ram for about $375.....

but I am partial to AMD.

The bottom line is that they both work fine. The benchmark tests will show a slight edge to Intel but is it worth the extra cash.

A_old
10-16-01, 03:25 PM
350 watt MINIMUM , 400 is standard for 1.4+ ghz systems...at least if you want stable.. as far as intel vs. amd, IMHO both are good, i own 3 puters.. 1.4 ghz amd, 700 mhz p3, and 400 mhz p2..

pricewatch.com will give you GOOD prices

if u go intel, i'd go p4 + any via p4x266 chipset (ddr w/ p4) cause it'll be cheaper

if u go amd, i'd go DDR ( any mobo kt266a chipset from via...) + athlon XP or thunderbird :)

but yea you need a big powersupply. don't forget that u need an atx 2.03 compliant PSU (w/ the 4 prong connector for the processor) for the p4 (in some cases you don't, depends on motherboard so do your research)

Amro

terrancelam
10-16-01, 03:28 PM
Would like to apologies, my patience runsthin when I have to repeat things. As for your question
(*For your note, I list all prices in Canadian, unless stated otherwise)

I suggest you go for a 1.4ghz T-bird (About $194CAD)
Wait for the Abit KR7 (It uses the KT266A chipset, about $250USD, not sure)
Get a good heatsink/fan cooling solution. Maybe the Global Win FOP-38 should do for a budget cooling.($38CAD)
512mb of Crucial DDR ram should do you well. (Not sure on the price)
Atleast a 350Watt power supply, prefferably from Enermax ($75CAD)
and get a nice midtower case that doesn't cover the hs/f area. Should run you about ($50CAD)

As for a video card, the Radeon 64mb DDR or Geforce2 Ti should both cover you for your gaming needs. Both run about ($250CAD), but I personally preffer the Radeon because of it's more complex capture features.

This is what I recommend. Don't be stingy when you get new stuff, or you'll suffer in performance. With AMD, you'll be able to run all your office apps and other apps fine, the only thing that I can say that's bad about AMD is that it runs hotter then Intel, but other then that, it out performs it by ALOT. The 1.4ghz T-bird goes about as fast as the 1.8ghz P4 and only is beaten in a few specific areas.

Idiot Savant
10-16-01, 03:53 PM
AMD is your best bet.

Very soon, Iwill is coming out with the XP333 (166 FSB)
AMD XP processors use different cores than Athlons, and not only run cooler, but faster as well. My own Epox can support a 166 fsb just fine, and I have more chipset/memory bandwidth than most p4's.

Intel P4's rarely outperform AMD processors, and fall way back in internet and business content creation. RDRAM may seem fast at first, but its design has many inherent causes for insane memory latency. Which is bad.

Also, AMD is cheaper.

BaLa
10-16-01, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam

512mb of Crucial DDR ram should do you well. (Not sure on the price)

$80.98 if you get 2 256mb Sticks w/ECC