PDA

View Full Version : why overclock

mr.modem
10-16-01, 12:04 PM
So overclocking increases speed,etc. I have heard nothing but good things with overclocking. What are, and could be, detrimental affects to overclocking?

monkeyhead
10-16-01, 12:10 PM
overclocking is getting everything out of your hardware.
can be dangerous, but not if you know what your doing.

Its like a packet of ketchup

some just open it and squeeze what they can out, and an overclocker would get every oune of ketchup out of the damn thing.

It does put your hardware at risk, but can sometimes be wortth it.
Other times, it wont make much a difference at all

YeOldeStonecat
10-16-01, 12:12 PM
Well, some people don't do it right, and try it with inadequate cooling, or they don't know how to properly mount a quality heat sink/fan with properly applied thermal grease, and they try to give it too much push...and burn the CPU out.

Properly done, yes it taxes your CPU a bit...and technically it shortens the life of a CPU. But think about this....the CPU is designed to run about 10 years. The average computer user may keep their system for what...5 years? But many of us hardware/gaming enthusiasts upgrade our systems very often...myself I get a rebuild at least once a year. Overclocking properly may shave a couple of years off the life of a CPU...but I never get to having a CPU for 2 years at the most anyways.

I will admit though...overclocking doesn't bring what it used to for us "gotta be past the bleeding edge" guys. Years ago, you could buy the latest processor...and overclock it...and be ahead of the curve for quite some time. As new CPU's didn't come out faster and faster several times a year like they do now. Now-a-days, you get the latest CPU..and by the time you set it up and overclock it... a few weeks later a faster CPU than what you are overclocking to is already released. (slightly exaggerated...but you get the idea)

Doesn't stop me from pushing mee old system though...

terrancelam
10-16-01, 03:38 PM
overclocking is getting the most performance out of your system without having to spend another glob of cash. Some do it for the thrill and bragging rights, others for the extreme performance.

HongKongPolice
10-16-01, 03:44 PM
More like why NOT overclock?? If your system is 100% stable, you're not causing damage to anything. Sure, you're putting more stress on your components, but they're designed to last AT LEAST 10 years, even if it shortens the components life by 50% (which never happens) it will still last 5 years, by which time, the component will be considered JUNK. Realistically tho, the max is around 25% reduction in life.

Only reason why NOT to overclock is if you're a complete newbie and don't want to learn the technical crap behind the computer.

terrancelam
10-16-01, 03:58 PM
well just to let you know, I still have an old 75mhz P1 that still going and I've never oc'ed. But then again, what the heck am I going to do with a 75mhz processor?

Like tiger said, if your new to computers, I wouldn't recommend OCing unless you want to learn about the internal and more specific aspects of your computer.

YeOldeStonecat
10-16-01, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
well just to let you know, I still have an old 75mhz P1 that still going and I've never oc'ed. But then again, what the heck am I going to do with a 75mhz processor?

That's an easy one to overclock. My first computer job at a software place, I had a P75 (yeah, this is going back a few years)...which sat on a motherboard with jumpers set to 1.5 multiplier (this was back in the days of having changeable multipliers on Pentiums), on a 50 mHz FSB. Easy to change the FSB to 66 mHz....BAM...instant Pentium 100 (1.5 X 66 = 99.999) Performance gain was more than you think, because the system bus went up 16 mHz....which was a big jump back then.

I don't know if we'll ever see the classic days of the super value combo known as Celery 300A on the Abit BH-6, running at 464. Man, benchmark any game and go dead toe to toe with the PII 450...at 1/3 the price. Some peeps got a lucky pick on their Celery...and could squeek their rig stable at 504 ...even 558 with that hardware combo. Talk about bang for the buck!

I ran mine hard for almost 3 years...still use that motherboard, and my Celery is still good..although not used cuz it was replaced by a PIII 650E on an Abit slotkey adapter.

YARDofSTUF
10-16-01, 05:01 PM
Benefits to OCing:

higher speed or processor, ram, system bus, agp slot, pci slots

Flaws:

poor quality hardware can impair ur results

bad cooling(like not enough or wrongly attached stuff) can damage system

waranty is void on all OCed products

Overall, OCing is great :2cool:

onetrueday
10-16-01, 07:17 PM
hey, quit picking on the p75's, I still use them at work. I have to say, it handles the internet like a dream considering how old it is. It only had a 480meg hd!