PDA

View Full Version : BX Chipset Driver updates

HongKongPolice
10-14-01, 11:32 PM
Anyone know where you can download updated BX Chipset drivers? Intel's site only has drivers for THEIR motherboards, but not BX Chipsets in general. I remember dling some beta drivers a while back, but can't find em

RoundEye
10-15-01, 12:37 AM
I've used the chipset drivers (http://support.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/inf.htm) from Intel on a lot of my clients computers, with out any problems what so ever (no matter who made the board). Often seen some improvment in performance too.

YeOldeStonecat
10-15-01, 06:15 AM
///Agrees with RoundEye///

Wether you have an Asus, Abit, or whatever other brand motherboard, if it runs on the Intel chipset, it runs on the Intel chipset. That's what those drivers are for that RoundEye posted a link for. I've used them on everything I build, be it old chipsets, HX, VX, BX, 8XX series, whatever. Basically that chipset supports every chipset that Intel ever putout.

If you go to your mobo manufacturers website, and look for drivers, either the link will go to this Intel website, or they will have these drivers on their website for download, chances are an older version of these drivers. The cd that came with your mobo...the inf chipset drivers...simply an old version of these.

Download it, run the setup, reboot, your computer will detect tons of new devices, eventually prompting you to reboot, just say NO, and it will keep on detecting new devices, eventually prompting you to reboot again, just say NO again, it may even find yet more new devices. Once you get to desktop, you can finally reboot. I often then, after doing that last reboot, will reboot into safe mode, yank the double devices, boot up into normal mode. let those reload, then re-install anything I have with the latest drivers (video, sound, NIC, etc).

ChuckDees
10-15-01, 07:27 PM
Are these drivers actually burned into the motherboard like a BIOS flash or are they just software that installs into the OS?

YeOldeStonecat
10-15-01, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ChuckDees
Are these drivers actually burned into the motherboard like a BIOS flash or are they just software that installs into the OS?

What you are thinking of, BIOS, is a very basic operating system that runs for a few seconds at bootup, juuuuuuuust enough to get your basic hardware up and running enough to spin the hard drive and beging loading your real operating system.

Chipset drivers for motherboards are software. Your motherboard has hardware on it, like floppy drive cotrollers, IDE controllers, USB controllers, AGP bus, PCI, serial, IO, Bridges, and various system resources, etc etc. Older motherboards (Pentium HX chipset, etc) the operating system will usually have adequate drivers for because the hardware was out when the operating system was designed, newer motherboards such as Intel 815 based boards, which came out after Windows 98, you need to download and install drivers for. Or for hardware performance nuts (like myself), I hate crappy built in Microsoft drivers, and always download the latest manufacturer drivers.

syncmaster
10-15-01, 08:44 PM
Well the intel drivers about the BX do not have anything more to give to it ,the chip is 4 years out there :)

Its perfect all ready , it does not need anything spesial to work .

RoundEye
10-15-01, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by syncmaster
Well the intel drivers about the BX do not have anything more to give to it ,the chip is 4 years out there :)

Its perfect all ready , it does not need anything spesial to work .

It will make a difference if you load the Intel drivers. If you are using Win98SE there is a bunch of updates in the Intel drivers for the BX chipset. I load them on every install I do.

ChuckDees
10-15-01, 11:41 PM
Which version should I download. I have the 440 bx with a PII 450 in there when I bought it. Do I want the 3.3.0.2 which I guess is the latest.

Or do I go with some other one?

ChuckDees
10-15-01, 11:44 PM
I am running a 550 PIII now. Will it still work.

syncmaster
10-16-01, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by RoundEye

It will make a difference if you load the Intel drivers. If you are using Win98SE there is a bunch of updates in the Intel drivers for the BX chipset. I load them on every install I do.

I run win2k with service pack 2 .

Now from what i know so far , the new INTELs updates cover the new chips that the OS does not have software support for them .

Any way i will download it , but from what i remenber from previews attemts , like 6 months ago , was that i got a message sayng , that my OS does not need any update ..

YeOldeStonecat
10-16-01, 07:22 AM
Yeah with Win2K...you're stuck with crappy Microsoft drivers...you get that message like synch says. Dunno about ME, wouldn't be caught dead in front of it. If 2K has them, I'm sure XP does.

That's the idea about drivers....your operating system came out on "this date"...and the hardware came out "anytime after that date"....so you need drivers to make them work.

Now, hardware manufacturers will often release newer drivers (nVidia comes to mind here)....so even though your OS may have native support for a device, later drivers may improve support and performance, so us performance freaks have the option to update your drivers, while the device may work perfectly adequate for the average user who is happy with the OS's native drivers.

In the case of the BX chipset which brought up this thread, Intel obviously didn't change the BX chipset driver included in the IntelINF package we linked to, so Win2K doesn't see an updated driver in that zipped up package that is newer than the one included in 2K's cabs directory..so it tells you "Hey, I'm already all set, you're not giving me anything new here". But that IntelINF package is a great thing to download and try...because it covers pretty much every chipset Intel released, from HX to 8XX...I always download it and go to install on just about every rebuild, if it installs....great...if it says I'm all set...then I dont need to go further.

ChuckDees
10-16-01, 09:30 AM
Do I want ver 2.2 or 3.3.0.2?

YeOldeStonecat
10-16-01, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ChuckDees
Do I want ver 2.2 or 3.3.0.2?

I usually like to go with the latest....3.20.1008 is what they have now.

http://developer.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/inf.htm

syncmaster
10-16-01, 04:43 PM
Well my win98 in my dual boot , liked the update :)

As about win2k and crapy drivers , i will say that its not truth .

There is no way MS to not coperate with Intel for issues like this .
MS put in every service pack all the new goodies from Intel .
I will probably get the update in the service pack 3 or something .

Never the less i do not have any critical problems, from 2% or 5% performance gain of a better driver is not a critical issue .

There is not Intel like Nvidia , 20 sets of detonator drivers in one year time .

hehehehe :D

YeOldeStonecat
10-16-01, 06:26 PM
I just prefer going with the latest drivers from the maker...not going with Bill Gates generic drivers. Microsoft designs the operating system over a loooong time period...you think they waited until the last possible week before they burned and shipped the CD's to put in the latest drivers? Uhhh...doubt it. Service packs address bugs and security issues...I haven't seen many service packs that update drivers.

I've just found the best luck and performance following those rules...leads to a fast, stable system. I build a lot of gaming rigs for people. Peeps doubt my PIII 1.0 rig can hit 5800 and change on 3DMark 2001..., and I laugh at all the peeps who complain about Win98se and it's crashing on them, while I don't reboot mine 'cept once or twice a month to update antivirus...I do LAN parties and my rig doesn't go down until the party is over...while I watch peeps lock up and reboot all day long.

Hey, what can I say...except "I'm thirsty....time for a trip to the basement to get another pint of ale!"

...and MAN IS THIS SITES SERVER GETTING SLOW ! ! !

Norm
10-16-01, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
I laugh at all the peeps who complain about Win98se and it's crashing on them, while I don't reboot mine 'cept once or twice a month to update antivirus...I do LAN parties and my rig doesn't go down until the party is over...while I watch peeps lock up and reboot all day long. You won't hear that from me, Win98SE is the best OS MS ever put out, besides Dos that is. Mine doesn't crash, because over time I've learned what not to install on it. It's not Win98SE, it's the bad software written for it that crashes.
Just read the boards about all the problems with Win2K ,XP and IE. All the versions of IE are crap besides IE 5.01 SP2, and all the OS's are crap till MS puts out a service pack or 10

I agree to a point about using updated drivers, some are great, others are worse than the previous ones. At least when MS adds a driver to it's OS's, it has been thoroughly tested. MS gets it's drivers from the manufacturers as far I know.
LOL, what do I know

YeOldeStonecat
10-16-01, 07:02 PM
Ahhh DOS....man those days were great. Playing with config.sys......changing how things loaded just to see if your largest executable program size could always remain above 600k as time went on...

WOOWOO...608K FREE BABY ! ! ! Now we're flying!

How long did it take to boot up....like 15 seconds?

Yeah, Microsoft gets their drivers from the manufacturers....just...a long time ago....like...the manufacturer may be up to version 12.10...while Microsofts driver is version 2.9 or something.

Norm
10-16-01, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Yeah, Microsoft gets their drivers from the manufacturers....just...a long time ago....like...the manufacturer may be up to version 12.10...while Microsofts driver is version 2.9 or something. LOL, I hear ya. At least those drivers work, just not as good as 'some' updates from the manufacturers.

Check your thread on the MBR problem in the software forum YeOld, I have a question or 2