PDA

View Full Version : AMD and Intel

powerfulsquid
10-14-01, 08:31 PM
OK, I'm sure this thread MIGHT cause alot of people to post or fight or something saying intel sucks or amd sucks, but whatever, I just want some true, information about these two processors.

Well, I'm going to build a second PC for christmas and what I need to know is whether Intel processors are more stable than AMD. Right now I have an Intel p3 at 733mhz. I have a few friends with amd, one with 1.1ghz, another with 700mhz, and another one with 500mhz and they all seem to run into more hardware problems and freezing and BSODs than I do.

What I want to know is if amd is less stable than intel processors when it comes to freezes and such and if maybe it's the motherboard instead. I have a soyo mobo and it works great, they each have diff mobos, I'm not sure what they have. I don't want to get an AMD 1.4 ghz (or whatever is the latest amd processor when I order it) and put it all together to find out it freezes or gets a BSOD every 10 mins. So any help would be great.

BMED
10-14-01, 09:04 PM
Well my AMD 1.33GHz with ASUS A7V133 MB running Win2K never freezes, unless I force it too!

There are many factors (that I don't have time to list) that play into building a system that won't freeze up. You could have the exact same system as your buudy does and have problems. It sometimes is the luck of the draw.

MagicMikey
10-14-01, 09:11 PM
Freezes are mostly caused by software problems... If you don't want any freezes at all, then get the best motherboard, memory and hard drive you can find, whether it be Intel or AMD as long as it has a good heatsink fan combo, and keep your system tweaked....

monkeyhead
10-14-01, 09:26 PM
what are you looking to do? how much are you looking to spend?

powerfulsquid
10-14-01, 09:30 PM
i got that down already, i just gotta pick between the two processors,i know intel is more but if it IS more stable, i'd probably get that but i'm still leaning toward AMD since they are alot cheaper and faster than intel processors, unless i hear something to change my mind, which is why i'm asking people here which one is more stable and what they perfer.

i'm probably going to get an amd 1.33ghz athlon.

MagicMikey
10-14-01, 09:48 PM
It's more of a personal choice....whatever processor will make you happy! but like a said before, whatever choice you make, make sure you have a good HSF! ;)

powerfulsquid
10-14-01, 10:16 PM
that's the thing, whatever makes me happy is which ever one won't freeze up as much and would be more stable. ehhhh, i guess i'll get a soyo mobo and an amd chip since soyo seems to be doing so great for me now.

BMED
10-14-01, 10:19 PM
I have been lucky with my T-Bird 1.33, I have been able to OC to 143MHz/10.5x=1501GHz

Runs very stable with proper cooling, SK6 and 6K fan w/articsilverII

36c-idle
44c-full

Good Luck, BMED

monkeyhead
10-14-01, 10:19 PM
id say intel cause its more stable, everyone here loves AMD so they will say different, but if your going to be a hardcore gamer on this comp, get and AMD with some hardcore cooling

drdoug99
10-14-01, 10:33 PM
I'd say AMD....my old K6-2 is stable as a rock, my new 1.2 Tbird is stable as a rock....having never used Intel, I can't compare how more stable, if that is even possible, Intel is.

I'd go with AMD, since you already have a pentuim processor, try AMD. Cheaper, faster, and just as stable, than Intel.

I'll probably build a Intel system next, since I've had no experience with intel so far...

powerfulsquid
10-14-01, 10:34 PM
hmmm bmed, what mobo do you have?

BMED
10-14-01, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by powerfulsquid
hmmm bmed, what mobo do you have?

This one:

http://www.asus.com/products/motherboard/socketa/a7v133/

You should be able to find it for less than $100 easy!

smaier69
10-14-01, 10:54 PM
over the years i have had more than one of each (as well as an Apple and a Mac). Intel does have a tendency for easier stability (by easier i mean it taking less work to work out the bugs or compatability issues). i have 2 AMD systems in my room here, and a PIII 450 in the other room.

to be honest, i am perpetually having to help my roomie's son out with the PIII system (i built it for him to use). i, on the other hand, have literally no problems with either of my AMDs (fileserver and main system. Duron/MSI board and T-Bird/KT7A-RAID). i attribute it the difference to me knowing how to maintain a system and keep everything clean. the Intel system is constantly being fiddled with by my roomie's son and his (the son's) freinds. its always running perfect when it leaves my hands. its the reckless tinkering and lackluster maintenence that flubs it up.

anyways, my $.02 is it may take a little more effort to get an AMD-based system running smooth as compared to an Intel system. in either event, you should not spend your money on cheap components (re: mobo, video, memory, sound, and communications. cd-rom and floppy and such is of lesser importance IMO). buying cheap critical hardware will only result in heartache anyways. i believe you can achieve perfection no matter which you go with (AMD or Intel).

powerfulsquid
10-14-01, 11:04 PM
hmmm good point smaier. i don't intend on buying cheap components, i intend on buying a good mobo and a good amd or intel. but the price DOES factor in whether im buying an intel or amd because amd is cheaper and also seems to be good which is why i orginally started this thread, i want to buy amd but if it wasnt going to be stable and was going to give me crap the whole time i have it, i'd rather spend the extra $100-$150 for the intel.

well, has anyone here tried an athlon on a soyo mobo? i really really enjoy my soyo mobo, hasn't been a problem yet so i'd like to buy another one but if there is some kind of compatibility issue, i'd like to know about it. so im asking anyone whos used AMD on a soyo board to tell me how it ran. you know like some specs and maybe if you though it ran good or not. tomorrow i'll probably go and look for some benchmarks with amd on soyo, if there are any.

BMED
10-14-01, 11:24 PM
Point here:

http://www.amdmb.com/vb/index.php

http://www.amdmb.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8

http://www.amdmb.com/faq-display.php?FAQ=4#FAQ-1

This may or may not help, but it is the best I can offer for you right now.

AMD or Intel, how really knows......It will always be a matter of opinion! The choice is yours!

BaLa
10-15-01, 12:03 AM
I got 2 AMD Systems working perfectly fine..
not one BSOD so far..

the
K6-2 500 on Chaintech 5SSV Mobo
Athlon 1.4ghz on Abit KG-7

ran W98SE and Linux for a while on the K6-2...
now I'm running W2k on the K6-2 500 and I started the 1.4ghz with W2k

BMED
10-15-01, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by BaLa
I got 2 AMD Systems working perfectly fine..
not one BSOD so far..

the
K6-2 500 on Chaintech 5SSV Mobo
Athlon 1.4ghz on Abit KG-7

ran W98SE and Linux for a while on the K6-2...
now I'm running W2k on the K6-2 500 and I started the 1.4ghz with W2k

Those K6-2/500 & 550's are awesome chips, I have two running Win2K with no problems.......cheap too!

BaLa
10-15-01, 12:17 AM
the K6-2 500 is alright..
it's prolly a lil faster than the fam. computer
which is a Cel 400...

I don't use the K6-2 500 too much..it's just sitting next to me Genomeing, all day long...sometimes I browse the web with 2 comps, that's pretty nice....

the Athl 1.4 and the K6-2 500 are in my room...and I have 2 monitors on my desk...