PDA

View Full Version : hard drive question

Soldier
10-14-01, 01:01 PM
"Please wait while setup intializes.
Scanning system resgistry...
Cannot create a temporary directroy.
If you have HPFS or NTFS install on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up Windows.

How do I create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up Windows?

Easto
10-14-01, 01:37 PM
Whats going on here. Is this a new install or a problem that came up?

Soldier
10-14-01, 01:38 PM
It's a new install

Soldier
10-14-01, 02:10 PM
it's a new hard drive

YeOldeStonecat
10-14-01, 06:22 PM
Did you take your new hard drive, make sure the BIOS detects it properly...then boot from a disk and FDISK it? Blow away everything, create whatever partitions you want, format them, then proceed from there with the install? Even with NT4/2K, I still like to FDISK and format from a 98 boot disk...then just recreate whatever partitions I want from the 2K setup...I've found it makes for a more reliable drive that way....less "missing NTLDR" errors.

Soldier
10-15-01, 08:34 AM
I installed Win98se into my hard drive then i started to get messages that I had missing VXD files so I then reformatted and now iam stuck in a ms dos screen and i can't get out of it... Any ideas?

Soldier
10-15-01, 08:44 AM
Did you take your new hard drive, make sure the BIOS detects it properly...then boot from a disk and FDISK it? Blow away everything, create whatever partitions you want, format them, then proceed from there with the install? Even with NT4/2K, I still like to FDISK and format from a 98 boot disk...then just recreate whatever partitions I want from the 2K setup...I've found it makes for a more reliable drive that way....less "missing NTLDR" errors.

No YOS I just placed my WIN98se into my cd-rom and from there i preceded with the installation. I don't have a boot disk :(