PDA

View Full Version : what should be my first program language to learn???

chef
10-09-01, 04:19 PM
Should I do C++, or something else?? Does anyone use DOS anymore, or is that something I can do without?? help me!

Jim
10-09-01, 04:20 PM
I started with BASIC and it worked good enough for me. Then again, that was a while ago. :p

I don't know, I'd guess C++, but that's just a guess.

Norm
10-09-01, 04:25 PM
Go with machine code/assembly first, then on to C++

Dos has a command called debug for editing machine code, you may want to play around with it.
Dos scripts are easy to learn, once you know the basics of Dos.
The scripts are basically Dos commands executed in a sequence the user programs them to execute.
Dos is gone in the latest versions of windows (Win2K and XP) but the command line and scripts are much the same. Good to know when problems prevent booting to windows.

Norm
10-09-01, 04:27 PM
Basic is about the easiest to learn. Maybe starting with basic would help to understand programming, then move on to other languages.

C++ is what you want to eventually learn, it's most mainstream.

Phantom-Vortex
10-09-01, 04:36 PM
Just do binary........lolhttp://ina-community.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

ncswimmer
10-09-01, 05:54 PM
I'd probably start with C++. It's not that hard to learn, at least the beginnings of it aren't. It's very similar to Java, which is another good one to know. But you'd be better off starting with C++.

lance-tek
10-09-01, 05:56 PM
to start programming I would have to say you would want to learn C++ or Basic first of all.

of course Microsoft calls all of their programming language releases "visual" so you may want to use that as it is a bit more user friendly Visual C++ or Visual Basic.

DOS is BOSS. Most applications still require a dos-like environment to run in. Yes this is being phased out, yet it is still incorporated in all microsoft OS's becuase they can't live without a command line to run in. So learn it at least the basics of it.

it all depends on where you want to go.

for web design you would definately want to learn HTML and Java though they can be accessed through numerous programs aimed at web design.

For Scripting and real programming I feel C++ is the strongest language.

Graphics well then you need to know Flash, Open GL is good, and so much more that I cannot even fathom

Java, though not as widely used has it's good points. It is like C++ in many ways, however there are many differences. It is widely used in web development and in other programs.

hope this is a little bit of help

Stu
10-09-01, 07:42 PM
I would start with a simple language, one that introduces you to the logical mindset necessary to program--but does not overwhelm you. Something like Pascal, Basic, or Ada, would probably be the best. Although they are more procedural, rather than object oriented (Ada excluded). They are very nicely put together as far as syntax goes (BEGIN and END, rather than { and }).

After learning one of those, I’d go with plain-old C++ or Java. C++ is very useful and powerful, and if you write it ANSI/ISO compliant, it’ll run on any platform that supports C++ (provided you compile it on that platform, or cross-compile it for that platform).

Java is a great choice too. Java isn’t just a web language; in fact, the amount of web-type programming you can do with Java is equally balanced with the other types of programming you can do with it. Java is a fairly big language. You can do everything from GUIs (Graphical User Interfaces—using Swing or AWT), Remote Method Invocation or CORBA (using Enterprise JavaBeans), network programming, messaging, database connectivity, etc. All of which is built right into the language (no tool kits to use or add-ons) and, for the most part, you can do all of these things much more easily than in any other language (at least all the ones I’ve encountered). If that isn't enough, it's architecture-independent (compile it once, and it runs on any platform that supports Java).

There is another upside to Java; it seems that many companies are beginning to replace their existing applications with Java. According to a study (http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2804967,00.html) by eWeek (http://www.eweek.com/), the number of developers using Java in 2002 will outnumber those using C++.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend any Microsoft-centric language like Visual C++ and the like, as far as learning goes. Microsoft does a lot of standards sidestepping in their languages, which might be a good thing if you want to program for Microsoft-only machines, but isn’t that great when you are learning the fundamentals of the language. Stick with ANSI/ISO standards and you’ll be better off.