PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Account Creation for web site

Phatty2x4
08-03-01, 04:08 PM
Ok you perl, asp, and Php programming gods.

I'm looking for a script:
I have a site that has some information that people will need to pay in order to access.

What I would like is to have a way to have customers come to my web site, fill out a registration for a new account, have the ability to pay via paypal, credit card, or what ever money transfer system. When that is verified, their account is created and they can access the desired data.

I have seen similar concepts for web hosting, dns services, and even pay adult sites?

Is there something out there that will do this or do I need to sit down and code this out and/or have a programmer take care of this.

Stu
08-04-01, 12:05 AM
When you say "account", what kind of account? Access to password protected directories on the site/server, database access, user account on the server... All are handled differently.

Phatty2x4
08-06-01, 10:34 AM
My bad - let me set up the situation a little better to clear out any little bits of confusion.

1) The user connects to the web site.
2) There is a web page that the user would like to access - but it is password protected.
3) The user now decides to purchase access.
4) The user then makes a payment (CC, Paypal, whatever), also sets up information for an account - ie username and password.
5) The users payment is verified.
6) The user is notified that the account is go (either on the web site or through e-mail) and they can now access the desired web page with the new account.

P.S. The system hosting the site is a windows 2000 machine.

Any takers?

Stu
08-06-01, 06:34 PM
Okay, let's break this down into two parts, your responsibility and the company doing the payment stuff.

1) The user connects to the web site.
2) There is a web page that the user would like to access - but it is password protected.
3) The user now decides to purchase access.
4) The user then makes a payment (CC, Paypal, whatever), also sets up information for an account - ie username and password.
5) The users payment is verified.

The above is pretty much a "shopping cart" thing, where you would need an external provider to do verification. There are plenty of companies that provide this service. There are several different ways that these providers "let you know" whether the transaction was successful or not. Some redirect the user to a "success" page/CGI, either on their site or yours, that sends the "order" data somewhere (database, flat file, other program). Others may insert the "order" directly into a database on your site. They could just e-mail the order to you (less the credit card info--they'll collect the funds themselves and cut you a check for all transactions within a specified period, weekly or bi-weekly or monthly). Etc...

6) The user is notified that the account is go (either on the web site or through e-mail) and they can now access the desired web page with the new account.

This is completely dependant on how notification of a successful purchase is handled through the external provider. For instance, if they insert it into a database on your end, it can be as easy as performing a query every N minutes that moves the data to your security mechanism's data store and e-mails the user. But, without knowing how the information is delivered from the external service provider, you can't really move forward.

This assumes your hosting provider does not already have a pre-configured package that does all this for you--many have something like this built right into your account (mine does--I've never used it, but it's there nonetheless). If your provider already has it, then you are all set. Just configure what's there.