PDA

View Full Version : to all webdesigners...

striderf1
06-19-01, 02:19 PM
When you decide you want to make a webpage, how do you decide on the design and the layout? Do you draw it first, or just start coding? Thanks for the responces

CiscoKid
06-19-01, 07:55 PM
I usually sketch out the site first. It gives me an idea of how many images I have to reate, where they would go and how I would split up large navigation/menu layouts.

el bob
06-20-01, 01:06 PM
I usually make a rough sketch in my mind and then if it is complex, i'll draw it on paper.

If it is simple, I'll just start coding and improv until I have it just the way I want it.

I never was a planning person. In some cases, I think it takes away from imagination.

Mr.Dave
06-22-01, 11:10 AM
I hope none of you use DreamWeaver or Frontpage.
I use PHP so I usually write my backend with a simple page just to see how it looks, then spice up the visualness
-Dave

DiskDoc
06-25-01, 09:50 PM
I do it in my head :-) make changes as i go along.

Doggabone
07-04-01, 05:57 AM
Dreamweaver isn't a lot of help for me, since I use CSS for the positioning and it won't go into the sniffer to pick a file.

But I still use it for basic tables, and I like it's text editor. And HTML-Kit from Chami. WYSIWYG's can come in handy, as long as you don't trust the result ;-).

Usually I design it in my head, then code the template. Then play with the style sheet, and tweak that to get the results for as many browsers that I can test which are the closest to my intent.

I tend to keep my designs simple anyway, so there isn't a lot of sketching that needs to be done.

But I look forward to a greater and wider support of CSS positioning methods, which will allow some nice use of whitespace and negative flow.

Mr.Dave
07-04-01, 07:12 AM
I use TopStyle 2.0 Pro for CSS just because its eaiser to see it.
But when I am in linux or using SSH I just use text. I can do it find without it just eaiser then previewing it in my browser all the time, and I use notepad for the site, Allaire Homesite for tables if they are confusing =D

CiscoKid
07-06-01, 08:24 PM
Can anyone tell me what a good program for VBscripting is?

downhill
07-06-01, 09:00 PM
I go to a local gallery of art and look at pictures and paintings all related to golf. It helps me do a fundamental layout. All them holes can really give a guy a sense of direction.

Hope this helps.

ibench
07-12-01, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by CiscoCert
Can anyone tell me what a good program for VBscripting is?

Hmmm, try UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com). It's a great text editor with syntax highlighting. I've never tried coding vb on it, but I guess it supports it.

anyway, back to the topic...
when deciding on a design, I'd take into consideration what kind of site it would be, personal or business, then once that's identified, either design the layout on paper, or just in photoshop, then slice and dice hehe

business sites should normally look clean and professional, well depending on the kind of business... personal sites can go as wild as the author imagines =)

Usually I'll be browsing other sites, and get inspiration from their site design... then try to make my own implementation.

greEd
07-17-01, 12:30 PM
i use pure html in notepad ... more control

Altema
07-17-01, 12:43 PM
I really dont get why is so much glory given to notepad. I mean dreamweaver, although has a lot of tools, serves the same purpose as notepad, even better. With notepad i have to save it somewhere then view, but dreamweaver all you have to do is write the HTML and presto you have a view of your website. Even if you dont do that you can still make the whole program like notepad. Its just more convient.

CiscoKid
07-17-01, 12:47 PM
I gave up on notepad because my formatting ALWAYS gets screwed up when I view the file.

greEd
07-17-01, 01:00 PM
I guess I like notepad cause I was programming html before a whole lot of fancy gui editors were out. Don't get me wrong at times I do enjoy gui's but most the time I would rather hard code.

Gaming-Module
07-20-01, 06:37 PM
I love Homesite.

Immortal
08-17-01, 10:53 PM
I did webdesigning back when everyone used notepads... I used notepads..

then I see these fancy lil programs that does it all for u... I say.. I odn't need it..

I tried a few.. and I still went back to note pad...

after a while.. I gave in and said.. ahh screw it.. and learnt how to use the programs and I have to admit.. it's much faster and much easier...