PDA

View Full Version : visual studios

YARDofSTUF
04-25-01, 02:28 AM
ok i know it has alot of power with the programs and stuff, but there are like 5 versions of the package from microsft! anyone know the difference?

Stu
04-25-01, 11:51 PM
I assume you are talking about the "editions" not versions. That being said, there are two editions of Visual Studio--Professional and Enterprise. To make it less confusing, Enterprise has everything that Professional has. In addition, Enterprise has the following (which Professional does not have):

Visual SourceSafe 6.0
Microsoft BackOffice Server 4.5 Developer Edition* (Develop and test version for Windows NT only.)
Enterprise Visual Database Tools
Visual Modeler
Visual Studio Analyzer
Visual Component Manager
Microsoft Repository 2.0

Also, both editions come in standard, academic, and volume sets. Standard and volume are basically the same, except volume comes with one set of media (CDs) and 2 or more licenses. Academic, is the same as standard (but is much cheaper), but with a different licensing agreement (i.e. software build using this license is not for commercial use or to be sold for profit).

Hope that helps.

YARDofSTUF
04-27-01, 01:53 AM
thank you it does, but my school has a Visual studio edition called FUNDIMENTAL, any ideas? its 499.99, but no list of whats in it.

Stu
04-27-01, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure--I've never seen anything like that before. Maybe it's the academic edition bundled with some training media (CDs) like the "Mastering Series"...

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: Stu ]