PDA

View Full Version : Speed difference between usb and an network card?

vic451
03-06-01, 08:49 PM
I have a laptop computer with the cable modem hooked through usb . Would my speed increase much over where it is now?
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/vic451/take.jpg
also that's reading in kilobytes

P.S. Cablenut 4.0 Rules !!!!!!!!!
:cool:

Lobo
03-06-01, 08:56 PM
Will leave this to Cablenut to answer

dannjr
03-06-01, 09:01 PM
Well I just went through this with my Laptop.. I had a new SMC USB 10/100 on there and since switched back to the pmcia network card and my speed went up I also lost the video problem that I had running the USB...
I had the latest drivers loaded for it also...

BMED
03-07-01, 09:11 PM
My main system running Win2k w/pci nic and my laptop running Win2k w/usb nic run at the same speeds. I have not had any problems so far. I will be getting a pmcia nic this weekend see how it's effects the speed.

dannjr
03-07-01, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by BMED:
My main system running Win2k w/pci nic and my laptop running Win2k w/usb nic run at the same speeds. I have not had any problems so far. I will be getting a pmcia nic this weekend see how it's effects the speed.
If you get one make sure to get a good one.. The Linksys has a Tx light built in and I swear it slows it down I was kinda forced into buying it out of need for a job, when I cracked the housing on the 3com and I know I'm slower now...
I miss my 3com :(

BMED
03-07-01, 09:44 PM
3Com is what I'm looking for, work is paying for it so price is not a issue. Thanks for the advice.