PDA

View Full Version : Frame Rate

MoRBiD
03-05-01, 07:48 PM
I have some friends that are avid gamers, and they are noticing some problems with their new high-speed processors.

Others have eluded to the fact that it may have something to do with "frame rate", not in the video card sense of the term.

My question is: What is frame rate as it applies to internet/gaming speed and latency?

Lobo
03-05-01, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure but go to control panel, display,settings tab at top, click on advanced at bottom, then adapter on next page, refresh rate is what you want :eek:

MoRBiD
03-05-01, 09:14 PM
erm, that's not quite what I was getting at :) What I mean is "FRAME SIZE" I'm led to believe that this is an internet/tcp setting, rather than a display item.

Lobo
03-05-01, 09:40 PM
The only thing I know of that would change the size would be at same place you were at, display, slide the slider over to the left :eek:

Lobo
03-05-01, 09:49 PM
Might check in software forum, maybe they know :eek:

cablenut
03-05-01, 10:22 PM
Frame Size is the total of all bytes you can send in one frame on ethernet.

"The most common alternative is UDP (``user datagram protocol''). UDP is designed for applications where you don't need to put sequences of datagrams together. It fits into the system much like TCP. There is a UDP header. The network software puts the UDP header on the front of your data, just as it would put a TCP header on the front of your data. Then UDP sends the data to IP, which adds the IP header, putting UDP's protocol number in the protocol field instead of TCP's protocol number. However UDP doesn't do as much as TCP does. It doesn't split data into multiple datagrams. It doesn't keep track of what it has sent so it can resend if necessary. About all that UDP provides is port numbers, so that several programs can use UDP at once. UDP port numbers are used just like TCP port numbers. There are well-known port numbers for servers that use UDP. Note that the UDP header is shorter than a TCP header. It still has source and destination port numbers, and a checksum, but that's about it. No sequence number, since it is not needed. UDP is used by the protocols that handle name lookups (see IEN 116, RFC 882, and RFC 883), and a number of similar protocols. "

I do not see any relation to frame size and high-speed processors. Game ping time is affected by the network you are connected to.

Lobo
03-05-01, 10:26 PM
Well thats de GERU so thats the stuff :cool:

dannjr
03-06-01, 01:50 AM
It could also be MaxFrameSize which is directly related to MTU and is only on a few adapters.. Like some of the PPPoE adapters, and some of them end up being set low by the maker...