PDA

View Full Version : Crazy man tweak

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

cablenut
02-06-01, 02:29 AM
I just put my TCP/IP protocol driver on my ramdisk (tcpip.sys) edited the nesaccary registry values and woot the net is faster as a result but beware this is for CRAZZY people only :)

Cornbread
02-06-01, 02:37 AM
what exactly r u talking about? im crazy, if your serious...i will try it, but i never heard of this. :confused:

cablenut
02-06-01, 02:55 AM
In Windows 2000 what controls all TCP/IP functions is a service called TCPIP now that service is the file tcpip.sys I have made a ramdisk with a bootable image file with the tcpip.sys file on it and have edited my registry to reflect where that tcpip.sys drive is. Since RAM has very much lower latencies then hard disks this speeds up the net cause it can access the protcol driver very fast.

glc1
02-06-01, 03:06 AM
cablenut, did you see a noticeable increase in performance?

cablenut
02-06-01, 03:09 AM
For me yes

dannjr
02-06-01, 05:09 AM
Ya baby worked for me to

All the Information to this thread can be found here !

Windows 2000 http://dslnuts.com/ramdisk.shtml
As written and supported by Cablenut, Philip and others.

Windows 98 and 98SE here.
http://dslnuts.com/ramdrive.shtml

Both are up to date and this thread and Ramdrives are set just for the OSīs listed. WinXP will be supported in the future.

Thanks for the support
Dannjr
Cablenut team

Aaladar
02-06-01, 04:32 PM
Is there a webpage that shows you how to do this and if so does it work with Windows ME?

Lobo
02-06-01, 04:37 PM
Yes please tell us, I can change my MTU back from 7500, RWIN 999999. don't keep it a secret, hehe :eek:

dannjr
02-06-01, 04:42 PM
So far since it was just found it will only work on win2k...But we're lookin...

Yes please tell us, I can change my MTU back from 7500, RWIN 999999. don't keep it a secret, hehe
Lobo you missed a 9 in the Rwin, and the MTU could be as High as 9000 this way you can have matching numbers...

Lobo
02-06-01, 04:52 PM
We better hush, looks like we don't have as many stars, hehe :)

dannjr
02-06-01, 09:14 PM
It works great with paging when doing regular surfing and pops the download screen right away pings dropped because well less latency for me

[ 02-06-2001: Message edited by: dannjr ]

Brent
02-06-01, 09:22 PM
LOL Cablenut I have to say that is very smart thinking!

I have never thought of doing that before, but thinking about it I can see how it would logically make TCP/IP faster

Neato!

what was your speed increase, how much?

cablenut
02-06-01, 09:26 PM
I haven't done any real testing yet I can tell you ping time and response time are greatly reduced.

t
02-06-01, 09:53 PM
OK, I found that tcpip file now where exactly do I ram this disk???

jsiu
02-06-01, 09:53 PM
this sounds good!

but how do you make a ramdisk? is there somewhere in win2k that does this? or one need a 3rd party software? (if so, which is the best?)

second question: where is the registry entry to change the location of the file?

thanks

cablenut
02-06-01, 10:29 PM
Guys guys guys hold ON :) this is a rather long, and serious process to do this. I will put up a guide after I get V4.0 out the door. Thanks

Lobo
02-06-01, 10:55 PM
Dear Mr. Cablenut, where do you ram the disk, and be nice :)

jsiu
02-06-01, 11:01 PM
com'on please answer the question.. i don't think the process is THAT long...

Philip
02-06-01, 11:12 PM
Sounds interesting... Here is some info:

The Ramdisk driver can be downloaded from here:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q257/4/05.ASP

1. Extract the inf file from the exe
2. From Control Panel: Add New Hardware > Choose From List > Other Device > Have Disk > Point to the inf file... You should have a Drive Z: after all that.

The path in the Registry for tcpip.sys is:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\
ImagePath=System32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys

dannjr
02-06-01, 11:15 PM
Guy's the process is THAT long... ANd its not a simple .reg file away... It is quite involved and involves more than you think...
We have tested the thing on latency but with it there may be stability issues.. I havnt seen any yet but anything could happen...
My OS is still working.... :)

jsiu
02-06-01, 11:16 PM
*sigh* i suppose i must wait then...

cablenut
02-06-01, 11:31 PM
Philip while that is good info it is not entirley correct. If you just create a RamDisk with the NT ramdisk service and put your tcpip.sys in there , then edit the tcpip service path. You will need to reboot and upon reboot you will lose all the info you had in that ramdisk. This is why you need a 3rd party application that loads a specific image file with the tcpip.sys file on it.

Philip
02-06-01, 11:45 PM
K, sounds right... However a simple script that executes at boot time and copies tcpip.sys to the Ramdisk might take care of that.

cablenut
02-06-01, 11:49 PM
Yes a login script in Win2k would do that either way it is a long and tedious process. I also forgot about adding the AFD sys driver to this is important to networking activites I will tell you when I get back how it is.. *if I get back :)

[ 02-06-2001: Message edited by: cablenut ]

Philip
02-06-01, 11:52 PM
Hehe... I think I have it figured out, I'd test it now too, just that I'm doing other stuff and can't reboot.

jsiu
02-06-01, 11:56 PM
hurry!!! :) i think if i click refresh anymore times IE would just die.... :D

cablenut
02-06-01, 11:59 PM
Well defintaly afd.sys, and tcpip.sys speeds things up maybe not on the DOWNLOAD side but other things like ping, response, basically anything that depends on time it speeds up.

jsiu
02-07-01, 12:00 AM
cablenut, what RamDrive software do you recommand? i.e. the one you are using right now?

cablenut
02-07-01, 12:15 AM
Ok here goes the guide since you guys are begging for it:

This is for Windows 2000 only. Only Windows 2000 has the advanced service, and memory managment to run this.

This guide will show you how to put your TCPIP, and WINSOCK services onto a ramdisk to speed things up

NOTE: I'm not sure on how stable this is yet, but I can tell you I haven't noticed any crashes.

1) We will need a program that creates a ramdisk for us. The one I use is RamDiskNT

2) It can be found here http://www.jlajoie.com/ramdskNT/rdNTv12e.exe

3) Now once you have downloaded, installed, and have it running we will need to configure the settings for the ramdisk.

4) http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~gottjl01/images/ramdisk1.jpg Here we have our ramdisk configuration tool.

5) Use the settings I have on there except you can make any size you want under 'Disk Size' just as long as it is big enough to fit the .sys drivers which are about 600KB total.

6) After you have configured everything according to the picture. You can now start the driver. It will then place the ramdisk at whatever you named it in my computer. My ramdisk is z:\

7) Now we need to get the sys files onto the ramdisk. we will need 'afd.sys', and 'tcpip.sys' they are by default in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers

8) right click on the file and go to copy and paste them into the ramdisk.

9) Now we have the sys files on the ramdisk open your ramdiskNT tool up again and go to 'Save Disk Image' this will save a disk image to c:\ramdskNT.img by default.

10) So now we have a copy of the ramdisk in .img format. We now need to hack up the RamDisk Tools registry options.

11) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ramdskNT\Parameters

12) Here we will see several registry entries. We want to edit 'LoadImageOnStart' to a value '1'

13) We want to Edit the 'SharewareKey' to hex: ffffffff

14) Note: if you do not edit the Shareware key ramdiskNT (unregistered) will not load image files on start.

15) Now we will need to point the services to the new path of the sys files.

16) for the afd.sys driver we will need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AFD

17) Modify the ImagePath key to refelect where the afd.sys is on the ramdisk. I have mine set to \??\Z:\AFD.sys

18) Note: the \??\ before drive name is crucial for it to work

19) Now onto tcpip.sys go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip

20) Modify the ImagePath key to reflect where the new tcpip.sys file is. I.e. mine is set to \??\Z:\tcpip.sys

21) You have now configured your computer to run the TCPIP and AFD services on the ramdisk instead of the hard drive

22) Note if you run the config tool after you edit the shareware key you will need to edit the shareware key again.

23)reboot the machine If TCPIP or AFD doesn't start up you did something wrong I suggest just going back and editing those image path values to where they were. You can try and starting it in command line. start > run > cmd. Type net start tcpip, and net start afd

[ 02-07-2001: Message edited by: cablenut ]

dannjr
02-07-01, 12:30 AM
NOTE: Just in case
At least BACK UP THE REGISTRY KEYS BEFORE YOU MODIFY :)

jsiu
02-07-01, 12:41 AM
side note: the lowest you can set the ram drive to is 33MB, anything less and it will not be formatted to FAT32. :(

cablenut
02-07-01, 01:04 AM
Yes I just tried this I set it down to 16MB while it was trying to use my 128MB image file it kept bluescreening in Windows so I had to boot from bootdisk and remove the ramdiskNT service from the OS and restart and set it up all again this time with a 33MB disk.

cablenut
02-07-01, 01:05 AM
I wouldn't recommend a size of 128MB it eats to much of the memory pool and causes other problems. 33MB is good for systems with 256MB of ram or more.

[ 02-07-2001: Message edited by: cablenut ]

jsiu
02-07-01, 01:29 AM
I know this has been said before, but please remeber to backup your registry.

I have just returned from a semi-heart attack trying to use this tweak... with the RAM drive on and the registry edited, i rebooted the machine only to find that I have lost my video... as in, i can see NOTHING on the screen after window boots.

I had to go into safe mode and import my backup registry to get the system back. I don't know why this tweak doesn't work for me... but i don't think i want to try again... just yet. :p

Jesse23
02-07-01, 01:52 AM
w00t! Once again Dannjr and cablenut you guys are DA MAN!! I never have seen web pages load soo fast! And my pings are lower! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanx a Bunch guys! :) :o

Virgil
02-07-01, 02:26 AM
Hmm, maybe there is a way to do this the Windows 98SE way? I think you have something serious here, Cablenut :)

cablenut
02-07-01, 02:58 AM
Me and phillip are working on a better way. If we can get it to do what we want it will be much better.

cablenut
02-07-01, 03:30 AM
Ok guys we have figured it out!!

NOTE: This will slow down the startup process by 3 Minutes or more due to it has to start TCP/IP services upon startup. Make sure to BACKUP your registry before doing this.

The ramdisk program we will use is:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000ddk/sample01/1/NT5/EN-US/Ramdisk.exe

MS Ram Disk

1) Download this file and extract the contents somewhere.

2) The contents include source files, the sys file, and the .inf file

3) Control Panel > Add New Hardware > Choose From List > Other Device > Have Disk > Point to the inf file...

4) We then need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ramdisk\Parameters

5) http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~gottjl01/images/reg1.jpg

6) The only thing we want to worry about is 'DiskSize' and 'DriveLetter'

7) 1MB is 1,048,576 bytes so if you wanted 2MB ramdisk you would enter a decmial value of 2,097,152. Drive letter of course means what drive letter the RamDisk makes itself.

8) So the next time we reboot our ramdisk will be whatever we made it. I made mine 1MB and Drive Letter Z:\

9) So before I rebooted I would also have to due some other things.

10) First I need to edit the TCPIP, and AFD ImagePath entries like this: http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~gottjl01/images/reg2.jpg The \??\ before the drive letter is crucial.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip

In those key is where the 'imagepath' key is we want to edit these to reflect where are new sys files will be on our ramdisk.

11) Now we need to make a login script to copy the needed sys files and start the services. Create a new text file and the require text is:

@echo on

Echo Starting TCP/IP Services

copy c:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys r:\
copy c:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\afd.sys r:\
net start tcpip
net start afd

notice on the copy command I have r:\ after it change this to whatever drive you made it. Save the text file and rename it as login.cmd.

12) Now we need to auto start the login.cmd file. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and create a new string value name it whatever you want. Modify it to reflect where your .cmd file is you just made. http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~gottjl01/images/reg3.jpg

13) Now we have everything ready to restart and start the process.

14) when you reboot and login. It will then run that script file. It will TAKE a long time to start TCPIP probably from 3-5Minutes. After it runs the script file you should be set and able to work fastly on the internet.

Prey521
02-07-01, 03:39 AM
Sweet Cablenut and Philip, thank God that I'm still up at this hour and am the first to see it ;)

hoov
02-07-01, 11:10 AM
Cablenut & Dannjr you guys are incredible !! Just a quick question. If you had to make a guess, how much % better performance do you think this ramdisk tweak will provide?

Thanks again,
(Your Win2K tweak rocks) :)

Radio-
02-07-01, 01:40 PM
Right about one thing Cablenut.. This is a crazyman's tweak =)

It sounds great, and is actually a perfectly logical Idea!!

I just tried it myself, and unfortunatly couldn't quite get it working. I managed to get the Ramdrive 'installed' just fine and the script executed and copied the files to the ramdrive, however I simply coudn't access the net, no error messages or anything.

Well, I'm gonna go back to fiddling around with this and I'll see if I can get something working. Thanks for your sharing of your experience and skill with all of us :)

cablenut
02-07-01, 04:20 PM
Kinda weird there Prey521 how big did you make it? Make sure in your Script file you start tcpip before AFD. A question Radio are you on DHCP?

Firezap
02-07-01, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by cablenut:
I just put my TCP/IP protocol driver on my ramdisk (tcpip.sys) edited the nesaccary registry values and woot the net is faster as a result but beware this is for CRAZZY people only :)

Hi!

I have a cable modem, that is a 512Kbit.
But my reseler says that its actually a 1.2 Gbit line. And the modem is "lockt" @ 512kbit. Do you (or someone else) know how to remove this block?

JediMonkey
02-07-01, 08:03 PM
I am having the same problem Radio is. The ramdrive is there, the files are copied over and started, but there is no connection. I am using DHCP w/ the Linksys befs41.

[ 02-07-2001: Message edited by: JediMonkey ]

RicRogue
02-07-01, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Janne Aho:
Hi!

I have a cable modem, that is a 512Kbit.
But my reseler says that its actually a 1.2 Gbit line. And the modem is "lockt" @ 512kbit. Do you (or someone else) know how to remove this block?

Janne Aho :)Welcome to SpeedGuide :)

What you are refering to is called uncapping. We do not discuss that on this site. Please refer to this web page (http://www.speedguide.net/editorials/uncapping.shtml) for more information why it is impossible.

RicRogue :p

cablenut
02-07-01, 08:24 PM
This method probably doesn't work on DHCP machines me and phillip are working more on it.

Radio-
02-07-01, 09:06 PM
About your question CableNut:

Yes, I am on DHCP, I'm getting my ip from my Linksys Router acting as a DHCP server.

Yea, with playing around on this everything loads just fine and the script executes, just no internet :eek: Oh well, a surely neat little trick if ya can get it working.

Thanks for your support!

Rick
02-07-01, 09:16 PM
Very interesting. I wonder if there's a way to reduce tcp/ip boot time.

http://cyberwizardpit.tripod.com/rmove.gif

~Rick E.J

[ 02-07-2001: Message edited by: Rick ]

JediMonkey
02-08-01, 12:01 AM
I think I found a workaround to the DHCP limitation. If you goto Control Panel>Admin Tools>Services once your computer has completely boot up, and start the DHCP Client service, your connection will be back. It works fine for me.

Can anybody think of a way to automate this process?

[ 02-08-2001: Message edited by: JediMonkey ]

[ 02-08-2001: Message edited by: JediMonkey ]

cablenut
02-08-01, 12:18 AM
Ah yes just figured it out here is a sample script for DHCP users:

copy c:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys r:\
copy c:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\afd.sys r:\
net start tcpip
net start afd
net start dhcp

I forgot about the DHCP service since I use static DUH oh well it's fixed...

Philip
02-08-01, 12:30 AM
Here is my script, just name it something.bat and add it to the "START>Programs>Startup" folder, it will execute at startup...

@echo on

copy c:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys z:\
copy c:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\afd.sys z:\

net start tcpip
net start afd
net start dhcp

ipconfig

@pause

[ 02-08-2001: Message edited by: Philip ]

Prey521
02-08-01, 12:52 AM
Didn't work for me :( I followed the guide to the T and I couldnt access the internet. I got an error saying that the RAM disk was an unrecognized file format. Did anyone else get this error? :confused: :confused:

dannjr
02-08-01, 01:52 AM
This is perfect now instead of 4 minutes to start it takes only a couple... at least on mine..
Latency is gone from the machine at least most of it..
I'm using it with DHCP. With a .BAT file in the start menu for the commands...
The longest wait time is for TCP/IP to start once it does the rest pop on..
Time to install once you have the Ramdrive files from Microsoft takes about 15min most to configure it.
ONE LAST TIME..
MAKE SURE YOU AT LEAST BACKUP THE KEYS IN THE REGISTRY YOU RECONFIGURE :) :D

Thank you Philip & Cablenut it was great to see you guys work this together..

[ 02-08-2001: Message edited by: dannjr ]

Prey521
02-08-01, 02:15 AM
Philip & Cablenut,

will those new settings specified above fix the unrecognized file format error that I was gettin when the Ram Drive was loading from the script?

Prey521
02-08-01, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by cablenut:
Kinda weird there Prey521 how big did you make it?

I made it exactly like the instructions said, 1 Meg

dannjr
02-08-01, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Prey521:
Philip & Cablenut,

will those new settings specified above fix the unrecognized file format error that I was gettin when the Ram Drive was loading from the script?

Prey521;
Make sure that the files and the registry are pointing in the right direction..
Your registry should point at your new Ramdisk.
check it a couple of times to make sure.

the copy command in the script should copy over the files.. Make sure the files are being copied from the folder to the ramdisk in other words make sure the files are in the C:\WINNT\system32\Drivers folder. If there not there you will get that problem.
It also helps to be logged in as the Administrator when you make changes like this.
DHCP does log a little faster to... :)

Radio-
02-08-01, 04:20 PM
w00t! Yep, I guess starting the DHCP service does help... way to go guys!!

So far I haven't really noticed a change in performance, but, I'll play around and try some more accurate tests and let ya know what I get..

Edit>> Also, is there a system file for the dhcp client, and can we load this to the ramdisk? I'll see if i can.. <<
Hmm, the image path for DHCP uses 'services.exe' which are used by ..well.. a ton of other services, I'm going to make a copy of services.exe (87k) onto the ramdisk and have dchp use that, while the others still use the on on the HD..

:) :)

Laterz,
Radio

[ 02-08-2001: Message edited by: Radio- ]

[ 02-08-2001: Message edited by: Radio- ]

donald_k
02-08-01, 06:19 PM
:D ok boys and girls firsyt I would like to thank cablenut for being so brave with this tweak as it could trash the computer if done wrong (I almost killed win2k when I attempted to get NDIS in the ram drive but my computer BSOD'd)

If you are using MS ramdisk for your ram drive and the batch file that cablenut put up this will shorten the LONG boot time big time.

Note how I have AFD start before ANY of my networking protocols. The reason before it takes so long to boot is because TCPIP is looking for the AFD driver to latch on too, but if AFD is not in memory before TCPIP loads it will hang for 3 minutes or longer. so in short AFD must start before everything else. ;)

@echo on

copy c:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys z:\
net start afd
net start netbt
net start tcpip

:D :D ;) ;)

[ 02-08-2001: Message edited by: donald_k ]

cablenut
02-08-01, 07:09 PM
Thank you donald_k very helpful information!

Lobo
02-08-01, 07:13 PM
Woot, you loosing stars Mr. Webcheese :cool:

donald_k
02-08-01, 09:07 PM
Glad I was a help. I would have posted this last night as soon as I seen this thread and had it going but I had to get to bed for school :p . So did it decrease your boot time?

cablenut
02-08-01, 09:11 PM
Yeah it only seems logical you should load the sub services of TCPIP before loading tcpip itself.

Juggernaut
02-08-01, 11:29 PM
Hey Donald, I noticed that you added the netbt in there as well...what's that one used for and if it should be added, does the reg entry have to be changed as well?

donald_k
02-08-01, 11:32 PM
Because the TCPIP stack makes calls to NETBT just to find out NETBT is disabled. I wonder if adding the DNS service may help also with DNS resolutions.....so far my ramdisk is at 1MB so I can defiantly turn it up. And CPU usage with this puppy is pratically NIL.

cablenut
02-08-01, 11:37 PM
CPU Usage with the TCPIP services on the RamDisk would actually go down. :)

donald_k
02-09-01, 12:12 AM
yes I know..right now I am walking Jesse23 through with MS ramdisk.....and talking to some jack about the school computer network (you can guess what it is :))

Philip
02-09-01, 12:27 AM
What I'd do is change:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip]
"ImagePath"=\??\Z:\tcpip.sys

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD]
"ImagePath"=\??\Z:\AFD.sys

Then, add the following as a .bat file and put it in the Startup menu:

@echo on

net start tcpip
net start afd
net start dhcp

ipconfig

@pause

That's all...

Philip
02-09-01, 12:28 AM
Oh, all that is with the default Ramdisk.inf settings, Drive letter is Z: by default.

Juggernaut
02-09-01, 12:54 AM
I just found out something bad about this...It basically disables ZoneAlarm. I have ZAPro going and it doesn't work anymore after the tweak. It doesn't show what's connecting to the net, any connection attemps coming in, and my ports aren't stealthed anymore.

Anyone else have this problem or know what to do about it?

Juggernaut
02-09-01, 12:58 AM
Ok, if you shutdown ZoneAlarm after everything is loaded and it's done, and then restart ZoneAlarm, it will start to work again. Kind of a pain but it works....

cablenut
02-09-01, 01:26 AM
Does ZoneAlarm run as a system service in Windows 2000? If so you might have to start it in your .bat file

Juggernaut
02-09-01, 01:30 AM
I'm not quite sure. The True Vector Internet Monitor runs as a service and it is set to Automatic but I notice that it says it hasn't started. The ZoneAlarm program itself starts from the Programs->Startup shortcut.

cablenut
02-09-01, 01:35 AM
You could try starting that in your .bat and see if that works.

Aeric67
02-09-01, 01:51 AM
Just curious, but how exactly does this work to increase speed?

When TCPIP loads, doesn't it load itself into RAM anyway? I can't believe that even MS would allow such a low level network component to be accessed directly from disk during use.

Maybe I am missing something here...

Aeric

Juggernaut
02-09-01, 01:52 AM
The path for the service is C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service

I can't use "net start net start C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service" on it, gives an invalid filename.

dannjr
02-09-01, 02:04 AM
Juggernaut

Try this after everything else but before pause
PATH=C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\
vsmon.exe -service

Juggernaut
02-09-01, 02:14 AM
still doesn't work. When I added that in, the ipconfig command didn't work in the .bat file during startup (said it wasn't an internal or external command....). This is what my .bat file looks like now.

@echo on
net start afd
net start tcpip
net start dhcp
PATH=C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service
ipconfig
@pause

Juggernaut
02-09-01, 02:19 AM
I don't think it's working because all the things in the .bat file are being executed after/during ZAPro is loaded. Is there a way to set this file to load before other things load?

dannjr
02-09-01, 02:56 AM
Ok heres what I tryed here but I don't have ZA on my machine so you will only know for sure if this would do it...

-------------------------------------
@echo on
net start afd
net start tcpip
net start dhcp
@pause
PATH=C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service
@pause
ipconfig
@pause

---------------------------------------

Now there is a way of timing the @pause but it will have to wait till I can get to that book later today

dannjr
02-09-01, 08:12 AM
Juggernaut
Here is a sample of my startup .BAT file for my ZA I was having a similar problem with it starting up..I really don't use it but I figured I would make sure since I was ahving a similar problem with my FTP server starting up...
---------------------------------------------
@echo on

copy c:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys z:\
net start afd
net start tcpip

ipconfig

@pause

Path=C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\
zonealarm.exe
---------------------------------------------

This worked out well as I don't need to see ZA start in the BAT file I only needed the results..

[ 02-09-2001: Message edited by: dannjr ]

JonG
02-09-01, 10:19 AM
Has anyone tried anything of this nature with windows 95/98? I'm trying something close to it, placing the TCP/IP driver files (dlls, vxds) onto a RAMDrive, and with my 56k modem am achieving 190 pings. Although it may be wishful thinking, I'm making sure it is actually helping out my connection because I'm sure most of you understand the "uncertainty" of analog :) I may just be getting lucky, who knows. Dannjr is gonna have to help me test this rather simple process out, so we'll let you guys know if anything comes of it.
Note of caution: DOS OWNS!

Juggernaut
02-09-01, 03:07 PM
I had the path in there before and it didn't help. Why would adding the path for the ZA directory make a difference? ZA is basically already loading, or is loading during the time the .bat file is run.

Juggernaut
02-09-01, 03:56 PM
Has anyone else experienced this too?

donald_k
02-09-01, 04:01 PM
maybe I'll go play with my neighbour's computer later. I can probably get it to go cause since win98 relies on DOS the ramdrive asnd copy script can be executed before the GUI shows up..and in the reg make win98 look in the ram drive...it then sees them in the ram drive :D and loads....i'll try it later if I can hop on her computer. But I am not putting win98SE back on my computer...I like win2k so much more. :D

donald_k
02-09-01, 04:02 PM
btw the speedguide UBB loads quicker with this tweak.... :D and WinAMP does not skip anymore.. (it used to, I would have like 6 IEs open at once and a few telnets going just after running Quake III)

Juggernaut
02-09-01, 05:03 PM
I also noticed that Tiny Personal Firewall has a problem with this tweak too...when u reboot it gives error messages about unable to find the IP (or something to that effect). I think these are having problems because (correct me if I'm wrong) they try to determine your settings, if u'r on the net, etc. right off the restart and all this is happening before the tcpip and afd services are started, so they are unable to get that info. That's why after everything is completed and you shutdown the firewall and restart it, it works.

Another thing that is strange tho is that the True Vector Internet Monitor service never appears to start, even after ZoneAlarm Pro is shutdown and restared. It just says "Automatic" and is never started. But ZAPro still works.

Radio-
02-09-01, 06:37 PM
Has anyone ever tried running Windows off a Ramdisk?

;)

Killing-Angel
02-10-01, 12:50 AM
jonG,I think that's great...I'm trying something like that myself...maybe it wil work...I'll let you guys know!

deathstalker
02-10-01, 02:58 AM
Whats supposed to be at these lines :
\??\Z:\tcpip.sys
The ?? I mean. And how much can I make ramdrive out to be. I tried to enter more than 25mb but its doesnt load after I did this. Anyone knows why or how to make the Ramdrive size bigger? Thanks

cablenut
02-10-01, 03:56 AM
The ramdrive driver is a 16bit file service this it will only allow upto 33MB or so to be allocated... if you want bigger ramdrives use RamDiskNT located on one of the posts on this thread by me...

deathstalker
02-10-01, 04:28 AM
33Mb? I could manage 25Mb before it stops loading. I tried putting 6000000 in the Registry and it stops working. The max I could get is 5999999 which shows out to be 25Mb in reality. Thanks Cablenut.

Lobo
02-10-01, 08:36 AM
4.0, It's been a long time, so chop-chop :)

theduek1234
02-11-01, 02:09 AM
Hey to ask a newbie question, but I will.

Why the heck wont the RAM disk driver install properly on my Win 2k Adv. Server box?

Get an error on install notice saying that it wasn't installed properly.

Any help much appreciated. Do I need a developer kit or somethang?

Thanks for your assistance!

donald_k
02-11-01, 02:53 AM
make sure that you did not disable a service that ramdisk depends on. II was doing some tweaking and disabled unnecesary services to find out that ramdisk actualy needed on of them and it took forever to find the right one. :p

theduek1234
02-11-01, 03:28 AM
To simplify this discussion, maybe I'm being overly simplistic, why not
1.install RAMDisk NT and configure like discussed earlier
2. Copy afd tcpip and netbt to the new ramdisk.
3. Alter registery for the above sys files.
Reboot
Isn't that it?

Acid
02-11-01, 07:10 AM
Well I can't seem to manage to get it working.
The ramdrive loads without any problems,I have changed the image dir for the tcpip.sys & afd.sys in the registery. I have put a .bat file in the starup folder.
This is my bat file:

@echo on
copy d:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys z:\
copy d:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys z:\
copy d:\winnt\System32\DRIVERS\afd.sys z:\
net start afd
net start tcpip
net start netbt
ipconfig
@pause

On the bootup when the computer comes to net start afd, it stays ther for a couple of minutes, after that I get a blue screen. I am not sure if it said something about irq or something, but I know it said, dumping physical memory, and than the computer reebots.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks in adanced!

JonG
02-12-01, 09:40 AM
I've done some messing around with Windows 98. I'm sure my process should work for windows 95 as well. Basically, I've "placed" my tcp/ip DLLs and VXDs on a ramdrive as I said before with quite a bit of success. I was getting as much as 5.7KB/sec on my analog phone modem, which isn't usually considered bad :)

Anyway, here is basically what I did.
(These instructions are tested out only on a windows 98 machine as well as dannjr's DSL)

Step 1.
Edit config.sys and add these lines

DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 700 /E

save, reboot, and go to My Computer and find out what drive was assigned to your ramdrive, it should be D: but it could be something else

Step 2.
Edit autoexec.bat, go to the very bottom and add these lines
(X: is used in place of whatever your RAMDrive's letter happens to be)

PATH=X:\;%PATH%
rename c:\windows\system\ndis.vxd ndisvxd.bak
copy c:\windows\system\ndisvxd.bak X:\ndis.vxd
rename c:\windows\system\vtcp.386 vtcp386.bak
copy c:\windows\system\vtcp386.bak X:\vtcp.386
rename c:\windows\system\vudp.386 vudp386.bak
copy c:\windows\system\vudp386.bak X:\vupd.386
rename c:\windows\system\mstcp.dll mstcpdll.bak
copy c:\windows\system\mstcpdll.bak X:\mstcp.dll
rename c:\windows\system\wshtcp.vxd wshtcp.bak
copy c:\windows\system\wshtcp.bak X:\wshtcp.vxd
rename c:\windows\system\wsock.vxd wsockvxd.bak
copy c:\windows\system\wsockvxd.bak X:\wsock.vxd
rename c:\windows\system\wsock2.vxd wsock2.bak
copy c:\windows\system\wsock2.bak X:\wsock2.vxd

There, that should be it for now. I'll be refining this list as I go on. What this process does is copy the above files to your ramdrive and assign the path statement the X: drive. By doing this, you are telling Windows to look in the system folder, then, if it doesn't find what it is looking for, to look in the X: drive. When it does, it finds the needed files and there ya go. There are far more files for me to add to this list, but the above ones are just basic. Because I'm on dial-up there are files I'm adding which most of you cable modem users/DSL users would not have on your system. Again, this process above will work only for Windows 95 and 98. ME, I do not believe it will work for, nor any other Windows OS (as far as I know).
If you want to play it safe, make a batch file which you can execute (should the need arise) that will rename your files back to their old names. Here is what to put into that batch file.

rename c:\windows\system\ndisvxd.bak ndis.vxd
rename c:\windows\system\vtcp386.bak vtcp.386
rename c:\windows\system\vudp386.bak vupd.386
rename c:\windows\system\mstcpdll.bak mstcp.dll
rename c:\windows\system\wshtcp.bak wshtcp.vxd
rename c:\windows\system\wsockvxd.bak wsock.vxd
rename c:\windows\system\wsock2.bak wsock2.vxd

When you execute that batch file, remove all the added items in your autoexec.bat file otherwise when you reboot you'll be back at square one. Let me know what you guys think.

Don't worry if you see some errors while your computer starts up about missing files (as it tries to copy them to a ramdrive), thats ok. Some of the above files that this process uses may not actually be on your system, in which case you can just ignore it.

[ 02-12-2001: Message edited by: JonG ]

Killing-Angel
02-12-01, 10:33 AM
Under what line should I place the thing on step 1?

Under: [menu]
[CD]
[NOCD]
[HElP]
or under[ COMMON]

Wich one!!!!

Radio-
02-12-01, 04:14 PM
JonG - I'm kind of confused about your tweak..

Essentially your copying the files to the ramdisk, and then hiding the copy in the system folder by renaming it.

However, Windows looks in the system folder for those files, so how is it supposed to find them in the Ramdrive?

Thanks.. Maybe I just don't quite understand this

dannjr
02-12-01, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Killing-Angel:
Under what line should I place the thing on step 1?

Under: [menu]
[CD]
[NOCD]
[HElP]
or under[ COMMON]

Wich one!!!!

Step 1.
Edit config.sys and add these lines

DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 700 /E

These two especialy HIMEM.SYS has to be on the first line no matter what..
Per microsoft
Next before you do this check to see how many netrans keys you have and how many you have after reboot..

I will say this Jon and I did this tgether on a fresh install win98SE machine we did not tweak the machine and there was nothing on it but the OS and ramdrive loaded.
I went and did a little surfing and was able to open the speedguide forum with out a wait prior to installing the ramdrive it had nothing but problems.
I also hit a few other sites that have allot of bandwidth users and it worked fine..
Check the keys nad back them up just to be safe
Dan

;)

[ 02-12-2001: Message edited by: dannjr ]