PDA

View Full Version : UPLOAD SPEED!!!!!!!!

Mercurick
01-28-01, 12:37 PM
Is there any way to increase my upload speed??
I'm on RoadRunner cable in upstate NY. I have a SURFboard SB3100 cable modem. Running Win ME.
Don't tell me to read other areas of this site please. I've read everything and don't see an answer to this question anywhere.
I'm getting about 35K upload speed now. That's max!
So if anyone out there knows anyway for me to boost that let me know.
If you don't then don't respond to this please.
thank you.

Kevin~

CoolJ
01-28-01, 12:41 PM
To my knowledge, you can only tweak download speed, sorry..

------------------
http://server2039.virtualave.net/c00lj/stats/CoolJ.gif

coolqf
01-28-01, 01:43 PM
believe it or not, but 35Kb is right for RoadRunner. for upload the cap is 2 Mb and for upload 384Mb.
not sure of the cap is in MB or Mb.
pretty sure it's in Mb.
this is how the capping system works...
if you have a cap just take 80% of that and around that should be what your speeds should be. actually a bit higher, but just a bit. so 35Kb sounds right.
I live in NYC and was interested in RoadRunner, but DSL is overall better for pings.... RoadRunner better for downloads : )

Mercurick
01-28-01, 01:51 PM
Ok what I "THINK" I need more upload speed for is this.
I'm running a Dedicated Unreal Tournament Server.
when 10 or so people connect to me to play that cuts my (say on a good day) 40K upload speed down to 4K a person.
I don't know if that's enough or not but players on my server complain of bad ping and lag so do I need more upload speed or is there something else I can do to run a better server?
I know its not my computer that's lagging everyone cause it's a new system with a 900MHz AMD Thunderbird and 128MB of ram.
would DSL be better for running a Unreal Tournament server?

2HY
01-28-01, 02:23 PM
I am on RoadRunner in upstate NY (Rochester) ---

Downloads are capped @ 2.5mbits, upload is capped at 384k (I get about 45k top upload speed)

If the only option you have available for DSL is Frontier LightningLink, don't do it. Their download cap is 1.5mbits, and their upload cap is roughly the same as RR, for the same price.

[This message has been edited by 2HY (edited 01-28-2001).]

Mercurick
01-28-01, 02:35 PM
So how exactly is are upload on RR capped?
There's got to be a way to get more upload speed.....

JL Sparks
01-28-01, 02:48 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mercurick:
So how exactly is are upload on RR capped?
There's got to be a way to get more upload speed.....</font>

Caps are set by the cable provider on their equipment. Unless your provider offers a service that you can pay for to get more upstream bandwidth, you're stuck with what you've got.

I hope that helps.

Mercurick
01-28-01, 03:56 PM
"HOPE THAT HELPS" ?Confused look on my face?
What are you STUPID???

Yep think so.....

Of f-u-c-k-i-n-g course that dosen't help me moron!!!!

Lobo
01-28-01, 03:58 PM
I believe you should leave dude before we turn loose de lagg spikes on you

YARDofSTUF
01-28-01, 04:28 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mercurick:
What are you STUPID???

Yep think so.....

Of f-u-c-k-i-n-g course that dosen't help me moron!!!!</font>

No need to be that rude, he was helping u not waste ur time trying somethign that wont work. ALSO, most ISPs dont allow u to run severs, so becareful or they could disconnect u and then u will need Dial up!

------------------
http://members.home.net/yardofstuf/pics/PanteraSIG.jpg

Storm90
01-28-01, 04:59 PM
With your attitude you won't get help any way even if their was a way. Plus running servers are not permitted. So I really don't think you will have to worry about the upload if you are caught. You won't have the service For the server. So your problem will be solved.

HMS White Star
01-28-01, 05:24 PM
Well from I understand in most places 384kbits is the max upload for Any individual user (at least that's want's they told me in training a year ago, it could have changed but I doubt it).

I hope that this proves informative, (and if anyone doesn't like this well tough http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif).

Lobo
01-28-01, 05:37 PM
I don't like it, so when you go to slep tonight, think about de lagg spikes

2HY
01-28-01, 05:44 PM
HMS ::

I think you're right, 384k is the average upload cap for most providers. But it does vary, like the unlucky people in certain @Home service areas with the 128k cap, and the lucky Optimum Online subscribers (I know the ones in Northern NJ have a very high cap, if none at all).

Camouflage
01-28-01, 07:14 PM
The Optimum Online Cap is 1mbps and its the same for all subscribers.

-Camouflage

Mercurick
01-28-01, 08:04 PM
stop posting to this topic! It's done ok! If theres no way to up your upload speed then why talk about it?
Move on.

Lobo
01-28-01, 08:11 PM
We don't care for your choice of language,
So you know what to do

emmax
02-27-01, 01:05 PM
I have opt online and have never been able to get over 45 kBps????

I do not get cable tv so they put a video trap filter on my line outside... Could this be affecting my OOL service???

My dl rate is usually 115KB/s :eek:

Lobo
02-27-01, 01:16 PM
Somethings wrong, the splitter may be regulating the signal to your modem, do you have any patchs installed, backedup registry yet, whats your sys specs :)

Lobo
02-27-01, 01:27 PM
Here are some guidelines that should speed you up sir:
First bring up REGEDIT, type REGEDIT in your run box and hit OK.
Under Registry at the top of the box, click on that, now click on Export Registry File, a box will come up asking where you want to export it to, just put it in your C drive, then name it at the bottem of box, Registry. Click on ALL at the bottom so it copies all of your registry.
Click on save.
Now if you ever get in trouble or want the old regestry back, bring REGEDIT back up and click on Registry and click on import registry file, go to your C drive and click on registry and click open, reboot and your good to go.
Anytime you add a new program, backup again, any program, back it up to the same place as the last one, it will overwrite it. If you do not backup after each new program is instaled you will not have those setting's in regestry if you have to backup for some reason.

Do nothing else in this box as it is the heart of your computer, just what it says above and no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. You probaly need to PRINT these instructions!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to main page on Speedguide, go to patch page (Listed on left)
2. Download the faster loading of webpages for your OS, download the speedpatch for your OS, becarefull, there are alot of patches on this page. Please read installation instructions for these patchs on patch page.Please read how to install speed patch.
3. Download the back to default patch for your OS, do not install this patch, just download it in case you ever want to change patches.Please ead instructions on patch on how to install speed patch.
4. Download Vtcp386 Fix patch if you are running WIN 95,98 or 98SE and install (Big V). Additionally, if your OS is Win 95, you will also need to download and install the vtcp386 .zip (small v) and the Windows Socket Two patch.
5. Go to www.dslreports.com/tools (http://www.dslreports.com/tools) bookmark this page as you may wish to return. Run tweak tester, check the verbose box, turn off firewalls, if you have one, copy the results by highlighing everything in the box with your mouse, then hit Ctrl & c, with your key board, come back to Speedguide and in same post you were in reply, when box comes up , cursor blinking at start of box hit Ctrl & v, this will copy results in box so I may look at them.
7. I do not recommend adding any other patches, all these tests change by the minute so don't be fooled an start adding patch after patch.
8. The best time to test for speed is early in the morning when no one (or not many) people are on the net.
9. Nothing should be running during any test, no virus stuff, firewalls,
and always clear (Delete, no this will not harm your system) your temp internet files before each test, not once during testing, after each test.
10. Do not add other speed patches on top of each other, always go back to default before trying another patch, I am aware of only one patch that will remove previous patch without having to return to default.
11. In the future, here are some other sites you may wish to visit, go to www.testmyspeed.com. (http://www.testmyspeed.com.) Please bookmark that page as well as www.pcpitstop.com (http://www.pcpitstop.com) so you may return. Also another good dowload site would be www.happypuppy.com (http://www.happypuppy.com) click on 10 demos and a large download file, do not download the whole file, just most of it.
12. You may in the future wish to go to www.AnalogX.com (http://www.AnalogX.com) and download Net Stat Live, run this while downloading a large file.
13. Please take your time and good luck. I would suggest at least 128 RAM and read up on all this, but be care full.
14. The most accurate way of testing speed is downloading large file as explained above from somewhere like www.happypuppy.com (http://www.happypuppy.com) (not all of it, just most of it). All other speed test sites will vary, www.AOL.com (http://www.AOL.com) is another fast server, you may download from this site also, remember to delete temp internet files before doing test. Try both sites as 1 may be having problems.
When refering to speed Kb is Kilobits, KB is Kilobytes Divide by 8 kilobits to get kilobytes.
Also you may wish to download Dr.TCP from www.dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com) to adjust MSS, MTU. RWIN and other numbers in future, this is for advanced people and I do not recommend changing any numbers that patches put in.

RUN DEFRAG AT LEAST EVERY 2 DAYS
People runnng WIN 98 or 98SE should run System File Checker once a week to make sure you have all files, all you really care about should be the Windows files and subfolders. To get to this, start, programs,accessories,system tools, system information. Click on tools in System information and it will be there. More information about it in Help.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

emmax
02-27-01, 03:32 PM
WOW Lobo that is a lot to process (pun intended) My system specs are p3 1 gig processor 128 ram.

The signal is not split but rather there is one female to female barrel connector in the house, and of course the one outside the house.

Is it possible that the barrel connector in the house is causing the slow down... I seems unlikely but I do not know. What about attaching a signal booster, or would that be just for video???

Thanks for your help.

Lobo
02-27-01, 03:39 PM
NO amp, do you have a speed patch installed

emmax
02-27-01, 03:48 PM
Yes I installed the speed patch from this site for winME and it had no noticable effect.

Lobo
02-27-01, 03:49 PM
Well the way I see it, you have 2 choices, one the above which you can reverse by running default patch, and two call the cable company to come check out your stuff,
their responsibility you are running right :p

Lobo
02-27-01, 03:51 PM
Well if you installed patch and it did not help much, you must call cable people to come out :eek:

Lobo
02-27-01, 04:03 PM
I was just thinking so don't get mad, you downloaded the patch and unzipped it, this does not install it, read on patch how too, just guessing :)

Lex Luthor
02-27-01, 04:10 PM
emmax,

something is definitely wrong with your connection. Anything less than 300KB down is pretty much a "reportable" problem to OOL.

I'd suggest you might try joining here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lioptonline

It's for OOL users only.

There are some ool engineers that work that forum. Post your MAC address, your IP address, your current RWIN and Max MTU settings and the speeds you are getting.

Someone probably will see the post and give you your db levels and see if they are ok as a start.

Lex

HalfLifer
02-28-01, 05:30 AM
Who there called me upload speed? :D

[MIS]Jay
02-28-01, 09:25 AM
I would really suggest 5k/s per user on this server. This means with 10 users, you would need a MIN. of 50k/s upload. Some DSL providers offer a 784k upstream. But I would not run a server on anything under 1.5Mbps. Unless you and your friends like to play with pings in the 1000's. J/K But they will get up there. My cable provider limits us to 128K up. No way around it. The limit is set when your Cable Modem contacts the server. Your cable modem HAS TO RUN a certain configuration for the connection to be let thru. If your cable modem has some values set different than the server allows, you wont be allowed to connect.

DiskDoc
02-28-01, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Mercurick:
What are you STUPID???

Yep think so.....

Of f-u-c-k-i-n-g course that dosen't help me moron!!!!

Look whose the stupid here :D

Here we don't yell at each other :) We try to help each other out and learn from each other. If you don't like what we have to offer, find some place else and show your mom that nasty attitude not us :D

Peace

NaPpY_FiShStiCkS
03-02-01, 10:35 PM
well..ive been reading your conversation about upload capping....just to let u know im a @home user ...and currently have a cap at 856 kbs ...but eventually they will probally cap it at 128 :mad: