PDA

View Full Version : Linksys problems..Please help, advice??

slowpoke
04-19-00, 12:10 PM
Heres the deal..I have DSL and wanting to share the connection..I have the Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL ROuter..
I have 2 machines right now on the network but havent been able to get BOTH to access the Net at the same time..Its either one or the other but not both..Any help would be appreciated..I have the TCP/IP for the NIC's in the machines set to obtain IP addresses automatically...One will get a correct IP(192.168.1.2) while the other one gets one out in space(169.254.103.25)..Where is THAT coming from???
ANY help would be greatly appreciated..

Fade
04-21-00, 01:01 PM
Slowpoke,
The 169.X.X.X address is Microsoft's nice way of telling you that the PC had problems reaching the DHCP server. It could mean a number of things.

Sine you said both PC's work fine alone, I assume that there may be a problem with the DHCP lease pool on the Linksys router. If you changed the settings from normal, you may have made the pool too small, thus one machine never gets a vail DHCP address.

Other things could be problems with the TCP/IP stack, or network card drivers on a single achine having problems.

Verify the following:
Your DHCP address pool is large enough for the amount of PC's you are using.
Your ports are allowed to get DHCP addresses.
Neither one of the PC's has a hard set IP address.

After that, you might want to either contact Linksys, or reload your network card drivers.

Best of luck. Let me know if this helps you.

-Fade

slowpoke
04-22-00, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Fade:
Slowpoke,
The 169.X.X.X address is Microsoft's nice way of telling you that the PC had problems reaching the DHCP server. It could mean a number of things.

Sine you said both PC's work fine alone, I assume that there may be a problem with the DHCP lease pool on the Linksys router. If you changed the settings from normal, you may have made the pool too small, thus one machine never gets a vail DHCP address.

Well, I went into the DHCP settings and it wont let me change it above 2(which I assume is because there is only 2 machines hooked to the router right now and the router sees that)...And I have it set to start the IP's at 192.168.1.2...

Other things could be problems with the TCP/IP stack, or network card drivers on a single achine having problems.

Verify the following:
Your DHCP address pool is large enough for the amount of PC's you are using.

It is set to 2 which equals the number of machines connected to the router..

Your ports are allowed to get DHCP addresses.

How do you check that?

Neither one of the PC's has a hard set IP address.

Nope..I have it set thru the network setting TCP/IP to obtain IP address automatically..

After that, you might want to either contact Linksys, or reload your network card drivers.

Reloaded NIC drivers. Cant connect to Linksys website..Might have to try their Tech Support..

Best of luck. Let me know if this helps you.

On a side note..I know the HUB part of the router works as I can transfer files between the 2 machines, which also indicates the NIC's in the machines are working...Just cant understand why or how the one machine I cant get on the net still comes up with the 169.X.X.X IP addresses?? One one other side note, the machine that can access the net SEEMS to want to pick and choose which sites I can or cant connect to(even tho some I try to connect to I can access using another machine thru dial up)...truely bizarre..

Thanks for the help...
-Fade[/B][/QUOTE]

Fade
04-23-00, 01:25 AM
Cool, nothing like a good problem to get me thinking. Sorry that things aren't working for you but I'm going to stab at a few more things.

First, I do not have the Linksys router. If I did I could probably follow along with you on the setup menu and see what might be the problem. From similar devices though, they have a WAN setup and a LAN setup area, and a few rules/logs/misc funtions that can be set also.

Under your WAN setup it sounds fine. As long as any device can connect through the linksys to the net ... the WAN portion should be okay.

Under the LAN setup, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to set more than a 2 IP range for your internal addresses. Heck, I'd set an entire subnet. In your case, something like 192.168.1.1 (mask 255.255.255.0) would give the entire subnet. Or if it asks for start and end range, use the .1 address as the beginning, and the .254 address as the end. That way you can make SURE that your DHCP range is plenty big for all of your local network devices.

If it won't let you change it above 2 that sounds strange ... never heard of a device that would do that. For instance, what if the 2 devices connected were hubs with multiple connections? Then the 2 DHCP addresses wouldn't work at all. I'll see if I can't check the Linksys site for help.

Most all higher end networking devices can also prohibit certain ports from certain types of access (like DHCP). If you don't see this on the Linksys, then don't sweat it. That means that all ports are allowed to get DHCP addresses.

Your PC to PC networking is fine. That could be because you might be using Netbeui or IPX in addition to TCP/IP. If you are ONLY using TCP/IP and the devices are talking to each from different networks then you have a strange problem indeed.

In one of my machines I have 2 NIC cards and a Modem. When checking my address using winipcfg I sometimes select the wrong card and see the wrong information. Does the machine getting the 169.X.X.X address have more than one network card in it?

One last item. You say some sites work fine, others will not load. A dialup connection pulls up both sites fine. Classic explanation of an MTU problem. By chance did you patch your registry with one of the speed settings from this site? If so, see if you can either manually adjust your MTU (if you know what you are doing) or apply the default settings patch to put everything back as normal. I've helped with this problem two or three times now ... each time it was the MTU.

I'll see if I can get more information on the Linksys unit. In the meantime feel free to email me with the address below, or post here.

-Fade

skpruett@yahoo.com

Fade
04-23-00, 01:43 AM
Downloaded the Linksys manual and tried my best to cram information on it. Here are some tips from what I could gather ...

Make sure your PC's are connected to ports 1-4 on back of the router ... not to the uplink port.

On the machine that doesn't get an IP address, do you get a link light for it's port on the front of the router? If not is it using a straight through (normal ethernet) cable?

On the DHCP tab in your router setup, select the following:
DHCP Server - Enable
Starting address - 192.168.1.2 (your router should be .1 so .2 will be the first available)
Number of DHCP Users - 253

Doing the above should work fine. Then just make sure all your PC's are set to "Obtain IP address automatically" under the network TCP/IP settings.

Again, let me know if this helps you.

-Fade

slowpoke
04-23-00, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Fade:
Downloaded the Linksys manual and tried my best to cram information on it. Here are some tips from what I could gather ...

Make sure your PC's are connected to ports 1-4 on back of the router ... not to the uplink port.

They are<G>....double checked just to make sure..the 2 machines are on ports 1 and 2..

On the machine that doesn't get an IP address, do you get a link light for it's port on the front of the router? If not is it using a straight through (normal ethernet) cable?

Gets a link light..and normal CAT5 cable.

On the DHCP tab in your router setup, select the following:
DHCP Server - Enable
Enabled

Starting address - 192.168.1.2 (your router should be .1 so .2 will be the first available)
OOOPS! Had mine set to 192.168.1.1<G>...Changed it to 192.168.1.2

Number of DHCP Users - 253
Put that in there..And it actually took it when I hit the APPLY button!<G>..

Doing the above should work fine. Then just make sure all your PC's are set to "Obtain IP address automatically" under the network TCP/IP settings.
Yep..have had it that way from the start<G>

Again, let me know if this helps you.

-Fade
Made the following changes:
Changed the starting IP address in the DHCP to 192.168.1.2
Set number of clients to 253
Put the LAN subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
And when I rebooted the machine and reset the DSL modem both machines now access the net! This one at 192.168.1.3 and the problem child one at 192.168.1.2!!!After reading your posting and looking at my DHCP settings it hit me like a brick that I cant have it as 192.168.1.1 as thats the routers address!<G>Made those changes and both machines can access the net, AND connect to ALL sites now<G>..

Thanks for the helping me "see the light"!!

Jon

Fade
04-23-00, 07:31 AM
Sweet! Glad to hear that worked. Be sure and try some heavy uploading and downloading over the next several days to see if you encounter any problems.

-Fade