PDA

View Full Version : Linksys cable/dsl router or Ugate 3000

Instarain
03-25-00, 12:17 PM
Would like to come up with some advantages or disadvantages of each. Like one has a switch the orther a hub. Which do the experts think is better.

TIA

XT
03-25-00, 12:54 PM
Heya!

I, too, am shopping and comparing. Here's what I've found:

--Linksys includes switch, Ugate only a hub

--L has only 10 port maps available for special applications(so far), U has 'unlimited'.

--L is cheaper

Other than that, they seem VERY similar. I've dl'd both of the .pdf manuals and they look very very similar.

Based on what I've been told by L and others have said, my hunch is that L will be improving port mapping since so many ppl are buying these for games, communication apps, etc.

Hopefully, it's possible to do it with firmware upgrades.

At this point, I'm leaning toward the L over the U because I like the switch. I'm concerned, however, about the limited port mapping until/unless they fix it.

If you haven't checked it out yet, tim higgins website has some reviews of hardware routers.
http://www.timhiggins.com

Good luck to us both, lol http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/wink.gif.

[This message has been edited by XT (edited 03-25-2000).]

Instarain
03-25-00, 01:41 PM
Ya, I been leaning towards the linksys. Since I talked to them, they told me they where going to add a bunch of features like logging, better port mapping, ect. I like the idea of a switch. But I was offered a pretty good deal on the ugate 3000 for 200.00. Linksys also told me everything could be done with firmware upgrades.

[This message has been edited by Instarain (edited 03-25-2000).]

XT
03-25-00, 08:11 PM
Sounds great on Linksys.

Sounds like good price on umax too, hehe.

swsmith
03-27-00, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Instarain:
Would like to come up with some advantages or disadvantages of each. Like one has a switch the orther a hub. Which do the experts think is better.

TIA

BTW: Another Difference is the free year of TZO.COM with the Ugate 3000. ~$25. I was concerned this service wouldn't work with linksys but does really well. but considering the linksys is ~160 and the Ugate ~$300, the linksys is a better deal. FYI they are in scarce supply but computers4sure had 50 instock today.

Sean

swsmith
03-27-00, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by swsmith:

BTW: Another Difference is the free year of TZO.COM with the Ugate 3000. ~$25. I was concerned this service wouldn't work with linksys but does really well. but considering the linksys is ~160 and the Ugate ~$300, the linksys is a better deal. FYI they are in scarce supply but computers4sure had 50 instock today.

Sean

BTW: Pretty sure these are based on the same design from some unknown OEM because the setup GUI for both boxes are virtually identical...

Sean

elmiko
04-02-00, 07:58 PM
Consider D-Link DI-701. Only $125 street. Easy setup, can upgrade firmware via built-in COM port. Unlike LinkSys, you need hub for multiple PCs, but if you already have one, great price! I found LinkSys setup software buggy and hard to use, so I returned them and bought D-Link.