PDA

View Full Version : Hub collisions Win2k + win98se plz read & Help!

neobond
03-20-00, 03:11 PM
I have a 5 port 10 Base T Hub
A server (win2k server) setup as standalone (in a workgroup) and cable internet (seperate card) setup with ics on the second pci 10/100 nic 192.168.0.1 this is switched to full duplex 10mbps and plugs into the hub. On my win98se 2nd comp I have same type of nic 10/100 setup on DHCP to recieve ics and it works, internet works, network shares, everything! but.. I have massive collisions resulting in 10kbps transfer rate between computers.. (why?) when I had my crosslink cable I had a good speed, why doesnt the hub do 10mbps? there are only 2 computers connected to it.
Any ideas?

ExarKun
03-20-00, 03:58 PM
Its ICS thats causing the problem, it just has way to many bugs in it, Try using sygate or something similar to it, you should have no problem, I also use win2k advance server, it will run fine on that platform, http://www.download.com

------------------
You Do Not Know The True Power Of The DarkSide
"Quoted By ExarKun From Dark Lords Of The Sith " 4000 Years Before Vader Said It

BuddyS
05-13-01, 12:41 AM
:eek: Dudes -- Ethernet hubs can only support HALF Duplex operation!

Ethernet hubs are multi-port repeaters.

In addition, most hubs support just one LAN speed -- either 10Mbps or 100Mbps. Some hubs support both 10 and 100 Mbps and each port can auto-negotiate the correct speed to accommodate the device connected to it. This is accomplished via a bridging function inside the hub, thereby making such dual speed hubs more than simple multi-port repeaters.

All computers (and other LAN-attached devices) connected to a repeater are in a common Collision Domain. This is also referred to as a "shared media environment" because all computers connected to a repeater are sharing the available LAN capacity (10 or 100 Mbps).

Shared Ethernet requires each computer to take turns accessing the LAN and therefore relies on the CSMA/CD protocol to manage network contention.

This does not mean that each computer is therefore constantly limited to its fraction of the shared LAN capacity (of 10 or 100 Mbps). Each Ethernet frame gets the full LAN capacity while it's being transmitted. Only when the LAN becomes congested with traffic or when problems occur does network performance degrade.

Switches are required to support FULL Duplex operation. Ethernet switches can be used in place of Ethernet hubs. Most Ethernet switches are multi-port bridges -- also called "Layer 2 Switches" (in reference to the Data Link layer of the ISO OSI Seven Layer Reference Model).

All computers (and other LAN-attached devices) directly connected to a switch are in separate Collision Domains. This is also referred to as "dedicated Ethernet" because all computers connected to a switch receive the full LAN capacity (10 or 100 Mbps).

Since each computer is in its own isolated Collision Domain there is no contention and CSMA/CD becomes a moot point. This is what permits Full Duplex operation. In "normal" shared Ethernet, simultaneous transmission and reception of data is not permitted -- it is interpreted as a Collision. However, in switched Ethernet, simultaneous transmission and reception of data IS permitted, thereby allowing Full Duplex operation.

--Buddy

[ 05-13-2001: Message edited by: BuddyS ]

YeOldeStonecat
05-13-01, 07:47 AM
This Buddy dude's got his OSI models down cold man....bravo!

Storm90
05-14-01, 05:52 AM
Buddys is right. You can go to the 10/100 hub witch has a brige and dose a better job. Which some people call smarthubs which is a nic name or go to a switch. Some Smart hubs are more expenseive then a switch. But allow you stack them and add more computers More for the office then home. Your best bet is to buy a switch sense you are useing this for home. GoodLuck! ;) I have a smarthub and like it. But its all in what you want to spend. Even a router would work great for you with a built in switch. They are better then routerswith built in hubs. Watch for sales sometimes you can get really nice price on router with a switch. Just keep checking around.
:D

[ 05-14-2001: Message edited by: Storm90 ]