PDA

View Full Version : ZyXEL Prestige 310 & @home

max
05-01-00, 09:32 PM
I just bought a ZyXEL Prestige 310 router based on the review I read here on speedguide.net and meticulously followed the instructions to get my network and cable provider (comcast@home) to recognize it. Everything seems to be working correctly (i.e., all the lights are flashing properly and I can access the internet through it) but the speed is SLOOOOOW and even worse I'm getting an inordinate amount of failed connections that I never saw before I hooked up the router.

Anybody got any suggestions to tweak my new router before I send it back and get a LinkSys?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

max

valentinedwv
05-02-00, 12:05 PM
I've got one, and it works fine. Turned on logging so I can see if ourside users probe a few ports.

Update the firmware. There was one version that had a speed problem.

Check the cabling. Check your hub.
Telnet in and watch the status (24.1). Getting any collisions?

valentinedwv
05-03-00, 02:17 PM
Server not found with a full address: www.site.com (http://www.site.com)

or server not found for mail and news sites in outlook and netscape?

anything in the error log, and Also, when it happens ping your ISP gateway, tracert to the gateway and ping the site.

Also, your isp running a web cache? my isp had a few configuation problems when it first installed the cache. Got more than my share of server not found errors.

max
05-03-00, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the response, v. I have the latest version of firmware (v2.51), all new cables, a new hub, and zero collisions.

I can access the net, but it's a lot slower and I'm still getting random errors including a "server not found" message. I'm pretty sure it's a configuration problem, I just don't know which one.

max

max
05-04-00, 08:10 AM
I've had only one instance where my newsreader couldn't connect properly. Usually the message "Cannot find server or DNS Error" pops up after a page I'm trying to load times out and it happens about 15 - 20% of the time. The odd thing is, if I simply reload the page, it will load fine most of the time.

As for the web cache, if @home changed (or added) their web cache, they sure didn't consult me first!

I'll cut-and-paste the error log later today. Thanks again.

max

max
05-04-00, 11:10 PM
The error log is clean, but I have another question... I just noticed that the switch in the TCP/IP protocol associated to my NIC had the "I want to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" switch unchecked. I "re-checked" the box, rebooted and re-synced everything and all seems well (at least for now, knock on wood). Much faster speed and no nasty delays/timeouts. At least not yet.

Would de-selecting the NetBIOS support have the effect on my network that I described previously (numerous timeouts and such)? If so, I feel like a complete ass. Although perhaps a smarter ass than I was yesterday.

max

valentinedwv
05-08-00, 10:09 AM
Zyxel has a filter for netbios. Perhaps the amount of traffic was overloading the router.