PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have problems hosting with @home?

NSAF
05-07-00, 10:15 PM
Hello fellow gamers,

I would like to know who has @Home cable and can host more than 4 people before the all the warping breaks loose. I'm a big time Rogue Spear gamer and I'm lucky if I can host 4 guys including me. Im hosting the same amount of people when I had 56k. I just want to know if its just me or is there people with @Home that can host at least 6 guys with no problems with games like Rogue Spear or Quake 3? Even if you are like me and can't host in games I would like to know. Oh and also the system I'm running is a 700 Athalon, Voodoo3, 128pcRAM, Linksys ethernet card, with 1.5 gb used in my 6.4 Western Digital drive. Thanks guys!!

monty
05-08-00, 08:43 AM
Most games require 24-28.8 kilobits upstream bandwidth per player. @Home generally has a 128 kilobit upstream cap. Do the math for maxplayers.

NSAF
05-08-00, 11:02 PM
Well since @home has a cap on the upload speed on my cable, what am I suppose to do? Thats the only cable company in my area (Salem, Oregon) and from what I hear DSL isn't very good for hosting games. Anyone have some ideas?

stancedar
05-08-00, 11:36 PM
YES! I am having the same problem with my @HOME Cable Modem!! I have a friend who has RoadRunner Cable modem and I see him host 12 people in Rogue Spear with NO Problems and NO Lag! He used to not be able to do this until a technician came over and installed a patch on his computer and it fixed all his lag problems...He doesnt know what the patch was though! Could it of been something to speed up his UDP Packets? I have tried many tweaks/patches from this site and others but I cannot fix my lag problem! Can anyone suggest a patch or fix for my problem? I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

WaterPog
05-09-00, 01:04 PM
I am on @home, and may be able to shed some light on this issue...

I have had good success hosting games with my setup, but the ping times for other players are very high (200+) the explination that I got was that even though those people are local, @home's connection to the internet is accually back east(chicago i think?)so while I am physically very close, the data must travel from here to the east coast and back. this introduces much more oppertunities for packet loss etc.

hope that this helps with the confusion