PDA

View Full Version : SOHO router(linksys,umax etc.) and Game server success

WaterPog
05-04-00, 04:38 PM
Has !anyone! had any luck getting a game server, UT or Q3 especially, running behind one of these devices??? I have seen most of the posts about the LinkSys, they are not encouraging, but nothing about the Umax. It was interesting that vorpal didn't mention gaming in his Ugate review, as he did in the Linksys review.

WaterPog
05-04-00, 04:46 PM
sorry, vorpal didn't do the review on the Umax. unless he did it under his real name. don't know where I got that from.

Tailspin
05-06-00, 06:17 PM
Ever since I connected the Linksys Cable/DSL Router, my Unreal Tournament Server no longer works. I have the same problem - players connect to the server and either lose connection or have a terrible time trying to play. I tried it myself and found myself being transported to other parts of a map or ending up in suspended animation.

Needless to say, it's quite frustrating since my server is probably getting a bad rap - I have taken it offline for now. Other than this game server problem, the Linksys Router is a great product. If you are planning to host game servers, look somewhere else, because so far I have not been able to successfully host a UT game. Or wait and see if Linksys or any bright users can post a fix for this annoying problem.

Good luck...

Surfn_Safari
05-11-00, 12:58 PM
Been able to run Q3A server behind linky. Have to setup DMZ port for server IP address and run NAT on local lan. Still getting MSG_Getspace overrun errors but beleive this to be a ID code issue.

Surfn_Safari
05-11-00, 01:00 PM
ops,
also ment to put that you will need to run static IP address on server box too, no DHCP.

Terrierb77
06-13-00, 08:41 PM
All you need to do is foward ports 7777, 7778, 7779, 7780, 7781, 27015, and 27016 to the computer that is running the server. And also disable DHCP server in the linksys router. This will allow you to run a server in either Half-life (which still crashes over time) and UT. That's all.

RAW
06-14-00, 01:25 PM
I have been running q2 and q3 servers thru my ugate 3000 for approximately 9 months now using the exposed host function and have had no problems with it

freakyboy
06-14-00, 01:43 PM
hey waterpog,

i did a review on this forumn but in the networking section title "ugate3000 and game servers". since the title is relative to gaming, i am attaching the post below. if you are interested in responses to the original post, here is the link - http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000236.html

=======================================
Hey all,

This regards running a game server through a sub $200 router (Linksys, Ugate3000, Hawking,
etc....). I have had the opportunity to try three cable/dsl routers. Please make note these results are probably very specific to my system/setup so your results might vary.

I have two systems on my network, a 450 PIII and a 300 PII. The PII is the system I use to run the dedicated game server while playing on the PIII. To test external connections, I have a friend log in and describe the game play while on the phone with me.

Game server system is as follows:
PII 300 - Abit bx6 Mobo
128 meg pc100
TNT with Voodoo2 add on
Linksys 10/100 etherfast nic
Road Runner Cable with a Moto surfer modem
Windows 98

Linksys Cable/DSL etherfast Router:
This was the first router I tried a few months ago right when it came out. I could not get a game server running. Tried everything from setting the TCP properties manually to selecting non duplex, 10 Mbit for the nic. People would join and after a few minutes of game play they would lose connection. Customer support never returned my calls which I know is no new news.

With all the firmware upgrades I decided to purchase another Linksys router about a week ago. This time not only could I not get a game server running, but I also experienced the infamous crc errors I've been reading about in this forum.

Hawking:
I purchased this router right after the first Linksys. Once again, no luck with running a game server. Never gave their customer support a chance because I could not find a 1-800 number. I'm not saying there isn't one, I am just stating I could not find it.

Ugate3000:
This past Friday I received a Umax Ugate3000 (after trying the second Linksys). Hooked it up, called my friend, crossed my fingers and started playing. Wow, that's all I have to say is wow - it worked. He never lost connection and I had about 6 people on the server at one time. I know 6 isn't much but relative to 0 it's a lot. Also, you do realize how difficult it is to play Unreal Tournament with your fingers crossed.

Since it worked with Unreal Tournament, I decided to try running a Tribes server. Once again, wow, it worked.

Conclusion:
The router for me is the Ugate3000.

Regards,
fb