PDA

View Full Version : how to get IPv6

switchit
07-12-11, 09:03 PM
I have windows 7 and I'm using netgear wireless cable modem gateway CG814WG, hard wired from gateway to computer.

How do I configure my gateway to also use IPv6?
IPv4 is working and I call charter tech and they said my gateway needed to be configured to use IPv6.

YeOldeStonecat
07-13-11, 09:05 AM
Have to see if your particular router/gateway supports it. Newer models generally will. Older models...some may support it with a firmware update, others simply will not. So refer to your routers documentation, and websites support section.
So once you have one, and enable it...you should be able to use IP6 on your LAN. Now...will your ISP support it? So you can use IP6 on the WAN/Internet? That's up to them and their rollout.

switchit
07-13-11, 10:40 PM
I did call charter and being I got my own modem they couldn't help also I checkeked the manual but it does not cover anything on windows 7.
I checked my Local area connection status and it said:
IPv6 connectivity: No Network access

I checked my Network Connection Details
specific DNS Suffix: chn.comcast.net
Description: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address: yes
DHCP Enabled: Yes
IPv4 Address: yes
IPv4 Subnet Mask: yes
Lease Obtained: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:17:31 PM
Lease Expires: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:17:31 PM
IPv4 Default Gateway: yes
IPv4 DHCP Server: yes
IPv4 DNS Servers: yes
IPv4 WINS Server:
NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled: Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::b9c6:be07:b8f0:8a9b%9
IPv6 Default Gateway:
IPv6 DNS Server:

switchit
07-18-11, 09:49 AM
I though it would be a easy solution but after reading about IPv6 I could go with a free site but as a home user I really don't need the headace right now, theres alot more to it and eventually it will be the standard like IPv4 thanks

YeOldeStonecat
07-18-11, 10:47 AM
For the internet, I wouldn't worry about IP6 yet.
For a home network..if you have Windows 7 and like to use the "Homegroup" networking features...you'll need IP6 running on your computers...but it auto configures nicely.

switchit
07-19-11, 07:54 PM
I had a leased modem an brought my own and called charter tech for help on setting IPv6 up and because I bought my own modem they wouldn't help, can you believe that.

I do have windows 7 and I'm on a homegroup but I have nothing marked on networking features,
are you saying if I mark these features, IPv6 will auto configure?