PDA

View Full Version : Port forwarding

24giovanni
05-29-11, 08:25 PM
Hi, I am trying to port forward on windows XP machine I set up my router i believe correctly but when i check it with pfportchecker and it says "your port is not open or unreachable".

What am I doing wrong?

thx

PS>>> after set up port forward do i need to reboot router?

Sava700
05-30-11, 12:05 AM
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

YeOldeStonecat
05-30-11, 08:44 AM
Static LAN IP for the host?
If the WIndows firewall is enabled, or some 3rd party software firewall is installed....did you also punch a hole for your service in that?
Is there a combo modem/router in front of this router, creating double NAT?

24giovanni
05-30-11, 12:01 PM
I have a question about port forwarding, how does one tell if it is working of not? Cat, Just using windows firewall only. Yes, static IP to the host.

I tried this site http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and it says it is closed. A friend who has it set up correctly also gets same results. Are these sites accurate or are we doing something wrong using them? Can someone plz let me know?

thx

24giovanni
05-30-11, 05:14 PM
I found manual on how to do it so that helped. Question I have for you now is under WAN connection type there is a list tpo pick from of:

1. All broadband devices
2. Broadband connection (ethernet)
3. Broadband connection (coax)
4. WAN PPoE
5. WAN PPoE2

What do I pick? I also have Source ports= any or specify (if specify do i put my TCP port) Destination port= any or specify (if specify do i put my TCP port) Forward to Port= same as incoming port or specify (if specify do i put my TCP port).

thx

ps this is what it looks like http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/843/verizonm.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/verizonm.jpg/)

Sava700
05-30-11, 07:51 PM
What are you trying to forward ports for? Also it either works or it doesn't so till you get the settings correct that's how you tell if it works or not.

24giovanni
05-30-11, 08:20 PM
Yes but how do u know what those settings are?

Sava700
05-30-11, 09:57 PM
Yes but how do u know what those settings are?

You follow directions of the software that I asked for the forwarding purpose was. TCP or UDP ports open and that's it.

24giovanni
05-30-11, 10:39 PM
yes but where does source port come from, same for destination port and also what to use for wan connection type and what to put for forward to port? Thats what i need to know. Is the port come from a port from router or do i get it from the client and fill that in there? This is where i get lost? Dont u gamers do this with your games?

thx

YeOldeStonecat
05-31-11, 07:56 AM
The port depends on what "service" you wish to allow to be exposed to the internet, so that someone out on the internet...can access a service that is on your private network behind the router.
Example....port 80 if you're running a web server, or port 25 if you're running a mail server, or port 27960 if you're running an old Quake 3 server.
So the port comes from the design of the service you're running...you have to do some homework and find out what ports are needed (often can be more than 1 port)
Port redirection is if you want to get extra fancy, and foward some obscure port on the WAN side...redirecting to the standard port on the inside. Example...redirect outside port 28 to inside port 25.

Sava700
05-31-11, 10:17 AM
yes but where does source port come from, same for destination port and also what to use for wan connection type and what to put for forward to port? Thats what i need to know. Is the port come from a port from router or do i get it from the client and fill that in there? This is where i get lost? Dont u gamers do this with your games?

thx

I can't help without knowing the purpose of the port forwarding. I asked for the name of the software you are using and you've not givin it.

24giovanni
05-31-11, 12:54 PM
Cat and Sava, Should source port be set to any and destination port is the port provided by the application you want to send data too?

thx

Sava700
05-31-11, 02:04 PM
Cat and Sava, Should source port be set to any and destination port is the port provided by the application you want to send data too?

thx

I replied to you're pm... it should clear this problem up.

Moon Ahmed
12-10-13, 11:18 AM
I need help to forward my port 1604 for making the server.............is anybody know how to do it in window's 8........?