PDA

View Full Version : slow download speed with normal upload speed

surfdawg
02-24-11, 12:24 PM
I have 2 laptops, an old toshiba and a new hp pavilion dv5. both have normal upload/download speeds when hardwired to internet (about 17mbps download 4mbps upload) When I connect via wifi the toshiba holds about the same download/upload speed but the hp download speed drops to 0.5mbps and upload speed is normal. The hp does not have this problem when I use it with other wifi networks. I am using a netgear rangemax wireless router WNR834B Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks

trogers
02-26-11, 12:21 PM
Turn off the old laptop and the router. Then power on the router and connect your HP and test speed. If normal, problem is likely due to mix wifi mode, the HP using N-mode while the old laptop is using G-mode.

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear-wnr834b-rangemax-next/4505-3319_7-31841160.html

The Netgear WNR834B is one of the more expensive new Draft N routers around, and it takes a big speed hit in mixed-mode environments. Also, you can't adjust its antennas, since they're located inside the case.

Solution: Either use the old laptop through wire or replace its G-mode wireless adapter with an N-mode.

mariafrnndz
07-01-11, 08:00 AM
If you are trying to download from a high-traffic server, chances are that your download speed will be negatively effected. The more users accessing a server, the slower the speed.
While firewalls are useful for keeping your computer safe, sometimes they can interfere with normal program operations. If you are downloading via third-party software, ensure that your firewall isn't blocking Internet access.
Downloading multiple files at once may seem like a way to save time, but the reality is that all of your files will end up downloading slower than they would on their own. Similarly, watching streaming video, playing online games or visiting media-heavy websites while you download can slow you down as well.
If the problem does not seem to be with your computer or your downloading habits, then it is time to start using a faster Internet connection. Contact your Internet service provider to learn more about your upgrade options.If you are trying to download from a high-traffic server, chances are that your download speed will be negatively effected. The more users accessing a server, the slower the speed.
While firewalls are useful for keeping your computer safe, sometimes they can interfere with normal program operations. If you are downloading via third-party software, ensure that your firewall isn't blocking Internet access.
Downloading multiple files at once may seem like a way to save time, but the reality is that all of your files will end up downloading slower than they would on their own. Similarly, watching streaming video, playing online games or visiting media-heavy websites while you download can slow you down as well.
If the problem does not seem to be with your computer or your downloading habits, then it is time to start using a faster Internet connection. Contact your Internet service provider to learn more about your upgrade options.

harmie
01-08-12, 01:22 AM
I have exceptional download speed and very slow upload speed. I have a Dell AR3 Alienware with an overclocked i7 processor. I have a 500 Gig SSD Seagate. I use Comcast Cable and a DCM-202 Modem with an Linksys E4200 router. I can get over 12.75 downlaod speed at Speedtest.net that lets me compare it to the national average. In the download, I am well above the national average. When I compair my upload speed it shows that it starts well, then quicklly drops well below the national average on the same test run. I have used all your Windows 7 x64 settings and have conducted the test many times, but can't get but about 2.73 -never a 3 Uplaod speed. DD-WRT was working on a program for this router but had nothing ready to use. I don't know if there is a way to supp-up the modem. If there is I am not aware of it.
Can any of you Pros help me?
Thanks
Harmie

shawngormley
03-28-12, 11:14 PM
No one seems to have an answer to this. From modem box to desktop I am getting 7-8Mbps (wired). which is great!! and what I pay for with my ISP. but when I plug in the e4200 it is a different story. From modem box to e4200 to desktop (wired) It gives me 2.1Mbps

What am I doing wrong? How do I fix?

Thanks