PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WRT120N as access point - very slow

surajpkn
01-15-11, 01:46 PM
Hello,

I am using a linksys WRT120N router as a __Access point__ in my student dorm (according to the rules!). As long as i used it as a router, I never had problems with the speed. But now, the connection is very slow.
For example, when I am wirelessly connected to the AP, and when I ping the main router of the building, I see packet drops and some packets have more than 4000ms rtt. (while normally it should be b/w 0 and 1 ms).
So as I understand it, there is some problem between the AP and my computer in the wireless channel or something but I have no clue.
Can anyone throw some light on this and tell me what to do?
I am using the latest firmware from the CISCO website.

Thanks
Suraj

YeOldeStonecat
01-15-11, 02:12 PM
What is the IP of the router in your dorm? If you leave the default LAN IP of 192.168.1.1...and you uplink the wrt120n (to use it as an AP)....you may well indeed have an IP conflict with something else on the network...as 192.168.1.1 is pretty much the most common LAN IP of home grade routers.
Did you also disable the DHCP service?
Chances are there's a kajillion other wireless LANs in range...try channel 1 or 11..which are less commonly used.
Make sure your SSID is unique.

loop2kil
01-15-11, 02:39 PM
Security enabled? Might have some freeloaders.

surajpkn
01-16-11, 09:05 AM
The IP of the dorm is in 137.x and the router IP is 10.x. So there is no conflict. DHCP is disabled. Its true that there are other wireless lans in the range but how come then it was not a problem when it was acting as a router?
What channel should i use 20Mhz or 40Mhz? Any other wireless settings that are important?