PDA

View Full Version : Slower Speeds on Comcast When Using Router

comcastkid
10-10-10, 12:03 AM
I just got internet installed, 16mb speeds I believe. I was given the Arris WBM760A modem. I am using the Linksys WRT54GL (which I've had for a long time).

I've noticed that my speeds are consistently faster when I am plugged into the router directly via ethernet cable compared to when I am using the router wirelessly.

When connected directly:
Download Speed: 24994 kbps (3124.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3460 kbps (432.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

When using the router wirelessly:
Download Speed: 9391 kbps (1173.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3130 kbps (391.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I've tried this several times, on different speed test sites, and the results are consistent: I see a noticeable difference in speed when I am connected directly into the router or the modem via ethernet cable.

I didn't have this issue in the past when I had an RCA modem. I'm wondering if there is some sort of compatibility issue between the Arris modem and the older Linksys router? I just ordered the "free" router from Comcast to see if that will resolve the issue. I think it is a Netgear N series. But does anyone have any thoughts/ideas in the meantime? I tried changing the router's channel and the MTU, but that was not helpful.

Many thanks!

trogers
10-10-10, 12:48 AM
Are you sure your old Linksys and its firmware are compatible with a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem?

Old devices were designed for the period when internet speed were still at 8 Mbps tops.

YeOldeStonecat
10-10-10, 07:22 AM
Actually the wrt54GL model can hang to over 50 megs.

comcastkid, did you try the wireless tips I had in the post stickied to the top of the wireless forum? With my laptop and its Intel Centrino wireless chipset, I can get about 18 megs wireless performance out of my wrt54gl.