PDA

View Full Version : Front left turn signal '93 Pathfinder

Humboldt
03-21-10, 04:15 PM
My front left turn signal went out a while ago.
Left rear still works but blinks double time.

Have tried replacing the bulb, nothing.

Thought it might be the socket the bulb snaps into, took the (working) right front assembly and swapped it. Doesn't work on the left side.

Checked the fuses, they're fine. Replaced the fuse just in case.
Nothing.

Any other ideas? I see mention of replacing the turn signal relay but found a site that says the relay was discontinued on 1987-2002 Pathfinders.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4507811_fix-turn-signal-nissan-pathfinder.html

Short of the wiring harness itself I'm stumped.

Some sites recommend changing the turn signal flasher...is that the same as a relay?
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Nissan-Repair-825/98-Nissan-Pathfinder-turn.htm

Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

Sava700
03-21-10, 04:23 PM
I was going to say relay, the fast pace blink usually indicates it going bad.

I would point you towards the manual... a quick look around says it does have a turn signal relay and its located under the hood on the passenger side.

Some sites recommend changing the turn signal flasher...is that the same as a relay?

YES

Humboldt
03-21-10, 04:25 PM
I was going to say relay, the fast pace blink usually indicates it going bad.

I would point you towards the manual... a quick look around says it does have a turn signal relay and its located under the hood on the passenger side.

YES

Hey Sava:thumb:

There are relays on the passenger side, I'll take a look.

How are they different from the 3 relays above the fuse box?

Sava700
03-21-10, 04:29 PM
Hey Sava:thumb:

There are relays on the passenger side, I'll take a look.

How are they different from the 3 relays above the fuse box?

I'm really not sure.. I would imagin they would tell you on some kinda tags.

Looking at this pic it would tell me its not in that fuse panel but under the hood on the passenger side but I can't find a picture of the engine compartment.

http://is.rely.net/3-99-15872-l-3a43NRgRZpnqIVSdr67dqg.jpg

Humboldt
03-21-10, 04:30 PM
The main covered relay box has a fuel pump relay, main relay, check relay, 2 fuses for the headlights, and a horn relay.

Just to the left of it are 2 unlabeled relays, right in the corner closest to the passenger.

Sava700
03-21-10, 04:31 PM
Just to the left of it are 2 unlabeled relays, right in the corner closest to the passenger.

Pull one at a time and try the turn signal? Worst thing that could happen is something else won't work while its out :D

JC
03-21-10, 05:42 PM
When you replaced the bulb, are you sure it was with the correct one?

Try swapping the bulbs around see if the reverse happens.

Humboldt
03-21-10, 06:46 PM
Pull one at a time and try the turn signal? Worst thing that could happen is something else won't work while its out :D

Tried that a few hours ago, nothing.
Tried pulling one at a time and the signals on that side would stop.

Swapped them and had them both plugged in and same, left front wouldn't work, back left would.

Humboldt
03-21-10, 06:53 PM
When you replaced the bulb, are you sure it was with the correct one?

Try swapping the bulbs around see if the reverse happens.

Tried that a long time ago, nada.

Finally got it, kind of.

Looking at my vehicle I have the headlights and right next to them on the exterior corner what I called the turn signal. That's the part I've been trying to fix this whole time.

Finally realized while messing with the relays that the right (working) side had a parking light mounted within the bumper that worked on the right and not on the left.

Looked at the parking light bulb on the left and it was blown and corroded into the socket. had to smash the bulb and use needle-nosed pliers to eventually get the base out.

Replaced it and now the left and right parking indicators both work. Maybe my semantics are messed up, or maybe my memory is shot and the outer lights never blinked at all (cause now neither does).

But the bumper turn signals work fine now and the double-time blink on the left rear stopped.

The hell is the difference between the parking lights and the turn signal? I know the turn signal blinks :D but could've sworn the exterior light on the corner used to as well.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Humboldt
03-21-10, 06:55 PM
Newer model but you can see what I'm talking about
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/Buzzman/Pathy6.jpg

I swear the lights on the corner, just outside the headlights, were what used to blink.
Never paid much attention to them to be honest.

Now what blinks are the lights that, in this image, look like fog lights, down in the bumper.
If those are the turn signals what the hell are the corner lights?

:D

JC
03-21-10, 08:14 PM
I would think the lamps next to the headlights are turn signals as well.

It's a long shot but ...... check some of the main chassis grounds. I once had a loose ground cable in the cab of my truck and it caused major problems. Problems like the high beam would turn on the wipers etc.....

Mark
03-21-10, 08:19 PM
humby, did you really just hotlink some random guys image ?

:rotfl:

Unholy
03-21-10, 08:29 PM
Newer model but you can see what I'm talking about

I swear the lights on the corner, just outside the headlights, were what used to blink.
Never paid much attention to them to be honest.

Now what blinks are the lights that, in this image, look like fog lights, down in the bumper.
If those are the turn signals what the hell are the corner lights?

:D

Pretty sure those lights down there are fogs and the corners are the ones supposed to blink. Turn on your fogs on the light stalk and see what happens.

Humboldt
03-21-10, 08:38 PM
humby, did you really just hotlink some random guys image ?

:rotfl:

:nod:

Humboldt
03-21-10, 08:42 PM
I would think the lamps next to the headlights are turn signals as well.

It's a long shot but ...... check some of the main chassis grounds. I once had a loose ground cable in the cab of my truck and it caused major problems. Problems like the high beam would turn on the wipers etc.....

and I swear that they used to blink:rolleyes:

Now they come one when the headlights are on, left and right...but don't blink.

But whenever there's been a problem before something blinks double-time, like the left rear did until I replaced the front bulb this afternoon. Everything sounds fine now.

Chassis grounds...will have to buy an Ohm meter for that one I guess?

Humboldt
03-21-10, 08:47 PM
Pretty sure those lights down there are fogs and the corners are the ones supposed to blink. Turn on your fogs on the light stalk and see what happens.

When I turn the fog lights on the corner lights come on (and only the corner lights).

When I turn the headlights on the headlights and the corner lights come on.

When I turn on the turn signals the lower lights in the bumper blink at the proper speed.

I'm guessing the corner bulb is the fog light, and that it won't come on unless the turn signal bulb is working properly.

This whole time I've been trying new corner bulbs, switching the entire corner bulb assembly, pricing corner bulb assemblies at $40 or so.

Finally dawned on me that the right blinker was blinking down below in the bumper (though I still swear the corner bulb was blinking as well).

Oh well, at least I have a damn turn indicator now. Been driving for months without one. Pain in the ass whenever I waited for oncoming traffic to make a left turn, since for all they knew I was just stopping in the middle of the road.

Cursed myself the whole time, cause the only drivers I hate less than those that don't use their turn signals are the mf's who sit in the left lane despite no traffic on the right and people behind them.

blebs
03-21-10, 08:58 PM
This is going to sound really crazy, but check that back bulb that does work. The filament may well have burned out and fused to the parking lamp portion of the bulb creating a short in the system. It's happened to me before.f Never suspsected the working bulb to be the problem!

Humboldt
03-21-10, 09:03 PM
This is going to sound really crazy, but check that back bulb that does work. The filament may well have burned out and fused to the parking lamp portion of the bulb creating a short in the system. It's happened to me before.f Never suspsected the working bulb to be the problem!

Hey Blebs:)

The filament on the back turn signal?

blebs
03-21-10, 09:03 PM
Tried that a few hours ago, nothing.
Tried pulling one at a time and the signals on that side would stop.

Swapped them and had them both plugged in and same, left front wouldn't work, back left would.

Replace both bulbs!

one of them is creating a short in the system.

Humboldt
03-21-10, 09:10 PM
Replace both bulbs!

one of them is creating a short in the system.

I fixed it (a few posts ago).

My issue now is not knowing whether the corner lights used to blink as well (long story but expained a few posts back).

blebs
03-21-10, 09:11 PM
If I'm wrong, you can kill me.

I once had it happen and if I used the turn signal, my dash lights flashed, things appeared all fubared, I kept thinking it was the turnsignal switch itself, took it to the garage, they said replace the turn signal switch, thought I'd look real careful and found the problem.

blebs
03-21-10, 09:12 PM
I fixed it (a few posts ago).

My issue now is not knowing whether the corner lights used to blink as well (long story but expained a few posts back).

Don't worry about that! As long as they work, that's all that matters.

In all honesty, I don't remember if they do or not. Some do, some don't. But so long as they are at least lit, cops can't say crap.

Humboldt
03-21-10, 09:20 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=pathfinder%20turn%20signals&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

The 6th image is the corner light next to the headlight, referred to here as both a turn signal and a cornering light.

The 20th image is what I thought was a fog light but am now thinking is the turn signal, as there are lots of sites that refer to it as such.

Unholy
03-21-10, 09:30 PM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cardollars/deal21.jpg

If your car looks like this. The lights near the license plate should be fogs. Anything amber color should be blinking turn signals. All front turn signals need to be amber or have a amber bulb or the cops will be giving you a hard time. If you have a blinking yellow/white fog, I'd be inclined to ram your car during that turn thinking you have a broken blinking fog. :)

Humboldt
03-21-10, 09:37 PM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cardollars/deal21.jpg

If your car looks like this. The lights near the license plate should be fogs. Anything amber color should be blinking turn signals. All front turn signals need to be amber or have a amber bulb or the cops will be giving you a hard time. If you have a blinking yellow/white fog, I'd be inclined to ram your car during that turn thinking you have a broken blinking fog. :)

Looks just like that only without the fog lights mounted on that brush guard (don't have a brush guard).
The amber lights under the headlights are what are now blinking.

My confusion is that the yellow/white lights on the corners next to the headlights...I swear they used to blink.

Unholy
03-21-10, 09:59 PM
So middle fog lights don't run on at all? There should be a 1156 turn bulb and a 168 parking light bulb packed in that corner. Take both out of the corner and test your lights.

Humboldt
03-21-10, 10:39 PM
So middle fog lights don't run on at all? There should be a 1156 turn bulb and a 168 parking light bulb packed in that corner. Take both out of the corner and test your lights.

:confused:

Only one bulb per corner, which come on when I have the lights engaged one turn (next turn turns on the headlights).

Compared to the image you posted, I have no fog lights.