PDA

View Full Version : my cd-rom makes loud noise!

cable crip
02-28-00, 09:41 PM
i've got a 50x cd-rom and everytime i install a game or whatever it makes a loud spinning noise. also, whenever i'm playing a game (like starcraft) my comp freezes for a sec when it's reading the cd-rom. can someone help me?

HongKongPolice
02-28-00, 10:10 PM
Hahahaha 50x CD-roms spin at like 10000rpm, faster then most hard drives, so OF COURSE its gonna have a loud spinning noise!! It freezes because the CD is spinning up

cable crip
02-29-00, 07:53 AM
is there anything i can do about it? (besides replacing my cd-rom)

LoachDuke
02-29-00, 11:05 AM
If you think that is loud, try putting in a really cheap cd.
They are usually unbalanced, and will make some horrible noise when you stick it in your drive. Also, the noise is due to vibration, and will eventually shake your CDrom apart!!
Why do these hardware manufacturers insist on creating megaX speed CDroms? I figure 8X is perfect, unless you choose to do mass installs from it.
There is no way to stop the noise. But you can place the computer as far away from your ears as possible, say like in a desk or on the floor.

Bandit
03-01-00, 01:05 PM
Is it only me?? but I dont see a reason to get such a fast CD drive. My cousin has a 40 or 48x and it takes him so freaking long to start spinning and reading it is just sad. My 24x doesnt make much noise and responds better than his.

His CD drive actually freezes while reading burnt CD that I have.

bug
03-01-00, 09:02 PM
That's a common problem, super-fast CDROM drives not able to read burned CD's. Would be better off with a slower SCSI unit [32X] for faster throughput http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif