PDA

View Full Version : An ATA66 HD will plug into an ATA33 controller right?

iamsilk
02-23-00, 11:17 PM
An ATA66 HD will plug into an ATA33 controller right? I know it probably won't run at 66. If it won't work, do I have to get a new scsi controller.

Hell_Yes
02-23-00, 11:43 PM
I think you will better off spending 40 dollars on a promise UDMA66 PCI controller card. I even comes with the 40pin 80wire cable.... Go full speed ahead!!

the the 66 drive will run on a 33 controller.... at 33MHz

DAVID

Fixxer
02-24-00, 05:05 PM
I was thinkin about buying the ATA/66 card by Promise and was wondering if it will enable me to use 6 drives? 4 on the 33 channels and 2 on the 66.. I'm assuming the promise controller only has 1 channel on it, haven't really looked into it too much yet.

mig125
02-24-00, 07:23 PM
6 HDD? If they are the same models I'd say you should buy Promise Fasttrack 66 RAID controller card. This way you will have ATA66 support and fastest setup available
Need more info check out: storagereview.com

BMED
02-24-00, 07:48 PM
If and when you purchase a controller card, stay away from any products distributed through "Digital Research". Their support sucks, they never call you back. They never answer their phone, you just get a message to leave your number and the best time to contact you. I still have not heard from them since last Friday. Try for yourself the # is 800-516-0200. I returned the card I purchased because after some research I found that I already had ATA66 support on my system. I will never use their product again, unless they pay me BIG BUCKS,pay for my kids college and give me a new Ford Excursion!

Hell_Yes
02-24-00, 11:33 PM
The Promise card has two UDMA66 channels.
Yes, up to eight drive on your machine including the onboard.

Promise also makes a IDE RAID controller for 160 dollars

mig125
02-25-00, 12:50 AM
1. ATA66 will run on ATA33 controler fine, if your computer is OC'ed it will run close to the ATA66 specs
2. I'd still recommend that you get ATA66 cables...they will work better
3. ATA33 and 66 are IDE standards, they are not SCSI...that's completely different thing

I'd not buy any ATA66 card if you have an old motherboard....

Axgrinder
02-26-00, 03:04 AM
The problem I found with the promise card was the cost, $69.00 and your primary HD still has to be connected to the primary IDE connector on the MB, so my point is the benifit's are not worth using up a PCI slot when $40.00 more buys you a new MB with ATA66 and better OC'ing potential.

Hell_Yes
02-27-00, 01:16 AM
Axgrinder,

I have found the promise card at 30-45 dollars at the local northeast computer shows and 49 dollars at Staples and OfficeMax.

Anyway. If you have the setting to boot from SCSI rather than the onboard IDE's, the UDMA66 PCI board will boot(!). I know this... It is presently working on my system. Yes, IT SUCKS to lose a PCI slot to another controller. Think of it this way. If you are not ready to upgrade to another motherboard (at least $130 for a good one) and its temptation for a fastest processor, this is a good stop gap method. Beside my local Staples has the Maxtor 40Gig 7200rpm at 269.00. Add the 50 for a card and you still are getting a lot of drive and speed for the money!!

Well that's my 2.1 yen

david

BMED
03-05-00, 10:37 PM
How the hell do you get this Promise ata/66 card to Boot my HD? I've tried everthing under the sun. I have a Compaq 5070 and when I install the card on my primary HD it will not boot(system does not see os). When I hook up to my secondary HD it's works great! My bios has only three settings for booting,floppy,cd,C:hd. When I have the controller card on my primary hd my bios only gives two options,floppy and cd. If anybody has any input with this issue I would greatly appreciate it. This PC is only 10 months old and I figure it would be able to handle such a simple task. So my main problem is NO BOOT with Promise Card attached to primary HD...........I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confused. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/downloadit/redwing.gif